A great win. Big contributions from
'everyone who played, but I do wish more than 7
guys did.

Tiger69 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
02-17-24 11:35 PM - Post#363425    
    In response to gokinsmen

Could only listen to game here in Mexico. I kept waiting for Yale to make its move in 2nd half. But, then we started to pull away with 13 point lead. Just as I started to relax, Yale closed gap to 2. I thought we were cooked. But again Mr. Alocco took charge and we never looked back. What a team. No matter what happens going forward, this season has been a joy following both men and women.
GO TIGERS!

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
02-18-24 10:40 AM - Post#363447    
    In response to Tiger69

Could not watch last night but just saw the replay on ESPN+.

Awesome win against a very tough Yale team!

Princeton’s defense was outstanding on just about every possession, with very few easy buckets or open looks for the Elis. Wolf was 0-8 but also just about every shot he took was contested. 6 assists on 22 FGs reflects that the game plan to disrupt the Yale offense was executed beautifully. The Tigers were 14/25 on the other end.

Playing Yale even-up without Pierce in the first 10 minutes was really impressive. And very interesting that Coach Henderson went with Jack Scott and not Huggins or Byriel when Caden was out. Townsend and Wolf are big, physical forwards, the Tiger D was stout and active and Scott performed like a starter.

There was a play in the last few minutes where multiple switches resulted in Lee matching up with Wolf in the low post and when Mbeng went to the rim covered by Pierce, Lee cleared Wolf out and Peters grabbed the rebound. Great case study of how to play tough, physical defense against a team with a lot of weapons.

It was a lot of fun to watch Princeton bring its “A game” against Yale for 40 minutes and protect its home court and a shot at the Ivy title.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
02-18-24 12:05 PM - Post#363449    
    In response to Tiger81

As much fun as it must have been to watch the recording, Tiger, being at the game was fantastic! The team is playing such gritty ball right now, flying around on defense with constant doubles and switches, leaping to the floor for loose balls, banging for rebounds on both ends of the floor.

The crowd was amazing--the student section was overflowing and raucous, giving Danny Wolf the business every time he touched the ball. The upper deck was not as full as it was at the Penn game but there were a lot of fans up to the rafters. I love the new announcer, who really gets the crowd fired up and the up-tempo music during breaks. The place is the loudest and most enthusiastic I've seen it since the late 90s teams.

Go Tigers!

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
02-18-24 05:22 PM - Post#363471    
    In response to gokinsmen

Yale missed Knowling, but I still like our chances
if we play them again. Pierce was gutsy, but not himself
for much of the game. We missed open 3s.
It was a great effort, but we can play better.
On a neutral court with roughly equal foul shots,
I like outr chances against Yale.

Cornell may be the tougher game. They beat us
convincingly without one of their stars. As Mitch
says, the key is continuous improvement. Hope
we play them better in two weeks.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Eli
02-19-24 12:36 AM - Post#363504    
    In response to LocalTiger

Agreed. Because Cornell's rotation runs 9-10 deep, they can play extra physical without worrying about foul trouble or fatigue. Threes won't fall as readily, so our guys will have to be a lot tougher defensively and attack the rim more.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-19-24 05:23 AM - Post#363507    
    In response to gokinsmen

I thought Yale looked good despite losing by 11. Wolf and Poulakedis shot worse than expected, partly because of good D but partly just random variation. On the other hand, I agree that the Tigers could play even better then that, especially hitting outside shots.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-19-24 09:00 AM - Post#363514    
    In response to SRP

Random variation?? If you gave me 100 to 1 that Wolf would not score I would not take the bet.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-20-24 05:44 AM - Post#363600    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

Good D held him to eight shots. Even if he’d made half that wouldn’t have closed the margin.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.172 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:48 PM