Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Venable's last shot        (Topic#279)
Anonymous 

12-21-04 01:08 AM - Post#1384    

I was rooting for Cheaney...

...but that was goaltending.

Anonymous 

Princeton got Jobbed
12-21-04 01:09 AM - Post#1385    
    In response to

Refereeing in all sports favors the home team more than a paid-off jai alai ref on the fronton...

oldschooltiger 

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Venable's last shot
12-21-04 01:09 AM - Post#1386    
    In response to

No doubt about it.

Anonymous 

12-21-04 01:12 AM - Post#1387    
    In response to oldschooltiger

Forget about the last shot (it was goaltending). If that game is officiated fairly, Princeton wins by 10.

I try not to complain about basketball officiating because I know it usually evens out in the end, but this was quite possibly the most disgraceful display of refereeing I have seen in all my years.

Congrats to Joe Scott and the Tigers for being classy enough to shake hands with the Owls and leave the court. But I'm sure Joe will have plenty to say in private.

T71 
Sophomore

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reg: 11-23-04
12-21-04 01:12 AM - Post#1388    
    In response to

Hose job!!! Not only failing to call goaltending but I guess they have never heard of an offensive foul either.

Anonymous 

12-21-04 01:14 AM - Post#1389    
    In response to oldschooltiger

I guess it isn't reviewable. How does the rule work? video is ok when the clock is in question, but not when any other rule comes into play? The rule is clearly defined in this case and there is no room for subjectivity so why can't it be checked? ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Anonymous 

12-21-04 01:20 AM - Post#1390    
    In response to

Don't even get me started on the offensive fouls. The last blocking foul on Princeton was only the most blatant of the two or three that should have been called charges. And how about the four times the refs sent Temple to the line for three shots? And the reach-in on Venable in the last two minutes?

I understand the sentiment was to send Chaney home a winner in his 1,000th game. Congratulations to John. But I'm sure he would have preferred to win fair and square.

I guess now I understand why Chaney took 25 years to schedule Princeton, though.

JerryH 

Loc: Delray Beach, Florida
12-21-04 01:25 AM - Post#1391    
    In response to

Does anyone remember if there was an offensive foul called in the entire game????

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Reg: 11-21-04
12-21-04 01:26 AM - Post#1392    
    In response to

Please. The calls were not that one-sided - the last blocking foul wasn't a blocking foul at all, but a push, called on Savage after he let the guy get by him. Marginal, but he definitely had his hand on his hip. That foul was whistled before there was any charge in the paint.

The goaltend miss was horrible. But they also let Venable get away with what appeared on TV to be two over-the-backs alone in the final minute, which led to Princeton second shot opportunities on consecutive possessions. Were you complaining when they swallowed the whistle on those plays?

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-21-04 01:28 AM - Post#1393    
    In response to

I'm still scratching my head... that call was a no-brainer.

JerryH 

Loc: Delray Beach, Florida
12-21-04 01:35 AM - Post#1394    
    In response to Streamers

Hi Chip!!

I agree that it wasn't that one-sided, but it definitely favored Temple. Those guys just barged in several times and knocked over anyone in the path. BTW, I looked again at the Venable "over the back." I disagree, those were not fouls. Just because you are behind someone and hit the ball, doesn't mean you have pushed the player in front of you. However, on one of those calls, the ball was given to Princeton and looked like Venable tipped it out.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

12-21-04 01:42 AM - Post#1395    
    In response to Streamers

The fix was in. They were not going to let Chaney lose his 1000th game tonight. Period.

And ESPN kind of swallowed the whistle too. Jarvis called it like he saw it (at least 3 times saying well that's the kind of call you get at home) but ESPN had nothing to say about the lousy officiating.

Time to change the rules again. Why can't they look at a replay in that situation? Even if they apply the NFL rule of needed clear proof to overturn the call.

This just stinks.

SomeGuy 
Professor

12-21-04 01:45 AM - Post#1396    
    In response to JerryH

The only reason the Venable over the back no-call was surprising was that everything else was going Temple's way. That's a call that sometimes gets made whether you make contact with the guy or not. Maybe the refs thought it was over with the 4 point lead and didn't bother.

On the ball off Venable, the best indicator that it should've been Temple's ball was Venable's own expression -- kind of like Cheaney's expression on the goaltend.

Anonymous 

12-21-04 01:45 AM - Post#1397    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I sort of figured you'd be here to talk about it, Chip.

I honestly did not see the over-the-backs you talk about, but I'll go back to the tape and look. As for the blocking fouls, thanks for clearing that up (but as you say, it was marginal, and if YOU say it was marginal, then it probably shouldn't have been called. )

Had they called the goaltend, I'd have chalked the refereeing up to normal home-team advantage. Had the refereeing been fair up to that point, I'd have chalked the goaltend miss up to "one of those things." But taken together, they really make you wonder about the integrity of that crew.

Anonymous 

12-21-04 01:48 AM - Post#1398    
    In response to

And as for Mike Jarvis...was anyone else who listened to the ESPN call thoroughly sick of him talking about himself by the end of the first half, let alone by the end of the game? Yes, Mike, we get it. We know you were a coach. Actually, given the way your last job went down, you might not want to be tooting your horn all that much.

T71 
Sophomore

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL
12-21-04 01:50 AM - Post#1399    
    In response to Chip Bayers

You thought that Savage's last foul was actually a foul. A very dubious call. Jarvis even commented on the replay. I don't think anyone was including that call as one of the missed an offensive fouls but if the phantom push wasn't called it could have been added to the list. Maybe the game looked different from Philadelphia though.

Anonymous 

12-21-04 01:52 AM - Post#1400    
    In response to T71

Quote:

Maybe the game looked different from Philadelphia though.

It sure must have.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
12-21-04 02:07 AM - Post#1401    
    In response to

Well for what its worth... Chip was not watching from Philly.

I feel for you guys, as that was a tough way to lose a game, but I am not so sure that was such an easy call for the refs to make... the fact that the Temple player double hit the ball made it difficult to tell what happened in real time.

Temple definitely got the better of the calls tonight, but I did not think it was as lopsided as some here seem to think. I understand where you are all coming from though, and if the roles were reversed I would probably feel the same way.

-Mike

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
12-21-04 02:08 AM - Post#1402    
    In response to TigerFan

Quote:

The fix was in. They were not going to let Chaney lose his 1000th game tonight. Period.

I agree with you on the fix. Temple could drop its next two games (UMass and Duke) and Chaney's next win might not come until Jan 12 at Fordham. I don't think that ESPN would have much interest in televising this game.

Also I don’t know if the weather in Philly was as bad as it was here in New England today, but I was surprised at how empty the stands were. Why weren’t the Temple faithful jamming the Liacouras Center for this monumental event?

Quakers1 
Sophomore

12-21-04 02:37 AM - Post#1403    
    In response to Streamers

As much as I like Penn, the referees decided this game and that should never be. Three or four charges against Temple which were called blocks against Princeton and THEY were in the second half alone. Mike Jarvis made continuing references to the home job.

Joe Scott is a class act for having Princeton shake hands with Temple. If I were Joe, I'd be livid.

nix23 
goober

Loc: NJ
12-21-04 03:18 AM - Post#1404    
    In response to Quakers1

It might not have been lopsided but the last 5 minutes definitely were. If those refs don't have the testicles to make a goaltending call there they should take up another profession, that was about as clear a goaltending as I have ever seen. Between that, the phantom push they called on Savage, the 3 point foul they called on Greenman and the block on Judson. Looks pretty lopsided from this point of view.

Anonymous 

12-21-04 11:51 AM - Post#1405    
    In response to nix23

Check out ESPN.com's game recap. It goes so far as to claim that the Temple player "knocked the ball away off the glass" or some such to ice the win. No mention of the goaltending controversy. Unbelievable.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
View from Philly
12-21-04 01:19 PM - Post#1406    
    In response to T71

Mike Kern in the Philly Daily News:

"On the night that Chaney became the 19th Division I coach, and just the fifth who is still active, to reach the four-figure plateau in games, the Tigers came to the Liacouras Center and played the Owls even for 40 minutes. But we'll never know what would have happened in overtime, because Will Venable didn't get a goaltending call in the closing seconds that would have forced an extra 5-minute period, even though the replays on ESPN2 seemed to confirm that Dustin Salisbery had blocked his driving layup after it hit off the backboard."

Anonymous 

Re: View from Philly
12-21-04 02:21 PM - Post#1407    
    In response to Streamers

Good to see someone in Philly actually saw the game!

The Temple Athletic Department recap made absolutely no mention of the controversy.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
12-21-04 06:52 PM - Post#1408    
    In response to nix23

Pretty sure you guys aren't interested in my opinion, but I can't help myself. Trying to be as objective as possible, it looked to me like:

(1) The goal tend at the end was a blatantly horrible no-call, both in real time and on the replays.

(2) The officiating overall favored Temple to some degree, but not to the degree that this board seems to think. I think that you are missing a key perspective -- Temple nearly always enjoys a personal foul advantage. What the source may be is subject to multiple interpretations, but anyone who plays them -- home or away -- had better be ready for them to live on the line and avoid foul trouble. The history is there for anyone who wants to look it up.

(3) I thought the call on Savage was a phantom.

(4) There were at least two balls knocked out of bounds in the last three minutes that were given to Princeton although they appeared to have been touched last by Venable -- one when he went over the backs of two Temple players in a rebounding scrum, and the other on an inbounds pass. On the latter, the look on Venable's face on the replay indicated clearly that he knew he touched it last and he appeared surprised and mildly amused when the official awarded him the ball.

Stripes 
Freshman
Stripes
Loc: Boston
12-22-04 04:44 PM - Post#1409    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

AQ - very objective, I think, and I agree with all of it, almost. The over the back rebound didn't appear to me to be off of Venable. His arm movement was back toward the middle of the court and the Temple players were moving toward the end line where the ball went. On the other hand, it reminded me a LOT of the call that went Temple's way in the Penn game (off of Zoller).

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
12-25-04 04:58 PM - Post#1410    
    In response to Stripes

Good observation. I had forgotten about that one.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.389 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:57 AM