Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Venable's last shot        (Topic#279)
nix23 
goober

Loc: NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Venable's last shot
12-21-04 03:18 AM - Post#1404    
    In response to Quakers1

It might not have been lopsided but the last 5 minutes definitely were. If those refs don't have the testicles to make a goaltending call there they should take up another profession, that was about as clear a goaltending as I have ever seen. Between that, the phantom push they called on Savage, the 3 point foul they called on Greenman and the block on Judson. Looks pretty lopsided from this point of view.

Anonymous 

12-21-04 11:51 AM - Post#1405    
    In response to nix23

Check out ESPN.com's game recap. It goes so far as to claim that the Temple player "knocked the ball away off the glass" or some such to ice the win. No mention of the goaltending controversy. Unbelievable.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
View from Philly
12-21-04 01:19 PM - Post#1406    
    In response to T71

Mike Kern in the Philly Daily News:

"On the night that Chaney became the 19th Division I coach, and just the fifth who is still active, to reach the four-figure plateau in games, the Tigers came to the Liacouras Center and played the Owls even for 40 minutes. But we'll never know what would have happened in overtime, because Will Venable didn't get a goaltending call in the closing seconds that would have forced an extra 5-minute period, even though the replays on ESPN2 seemed to confirm that Dustin Salisbery had blocked his driving layup after it hit off the backboard."

Anonymous 

Re: View from Philly
12-21-04 02:21 PM - Post#1407    
    In response to Streamers

Good to see someone in Philly actually saw the game!

The Temple Athletic Department recap made absolutely no mention of the controversy.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
12-21-04 06:52 PM - Post#1408    
    In response to nix23

Pretty sure you guys aren't interested in my opinion, but I can't help myself. Trying to be as objective as possible, it looked to me like:

(1) The goal tend at the end was a blatantly horrible no-call, both in real time and on the replays.

(2) The officiating overall favored Temple to some degree, but not to the degree that this board seems to think. I think that you are missing a key perspective -- Temple nearly always enjoys a personal foul advantage. What the source may be is subject to multiple interpretations, but anyone who plays them -- home or away -- had better be ready for them to live on the line and avoid foul trouble. The history is there for anyone who wants to look it up.

(3) I thought the call on Savage was a phantom.

(4) There were at least two balls knocked out of bounds in the last three minutes that were given to Princeton although they appeared to have been touched last by Venable -- one when he went over the backs of two Temple players in a rebounding scrum, and the other on an inbounds pass. On the latter, the look on Venable's face on the replay indicated clearly that he knew he touched it last and he appeared surprised and mildly amused when the official awarded him the ball.

Stripes 
Freshman
Stripes
Loc: Boston
12-22-04 04:44 PM - Post#1409    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

AQ - very objective, I think, and I agree with all of it, almost. The over the back rebound didn't appear to me to be off of Venable. His arm movement was back toward the middle of the court and the Temple players were moving toward the end line where the ball went. On the other hand, it reminded me a LOT of the call that went Temple's way in the Penn game (off of Zoller).

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
12-25-04 04:58 PM - Post#1410    
    In response to Stripes

Good observation. I had forgotten about that one.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.874 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:44 PM