Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: It's Not As if Any of This Was a Surprise        (Topic#27956)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-10-24 10:29 AM - Post#364941    

My comments on September 7:

"I'm out as well. Have had the season tickets with Lyle[Gold] since 1991-92 and with Streamers the last 4-5 years. There comes a point where one is just throwing money away, something the Penn Athletic Department has exploited by taking the best games out of the season ticket package and increasingly charging us full price for what essentially are exhibition games against Div 3 opponents. Still, if I thought Penn had a chance to compete this year in the Ivy League, I would chalk it up and renew. Sadly, my fears of the effect of blowing the title we had in our hands last year have come to roost. Rick Pitino offered our superstar superstar money and he understandably took it and while I don't know the particulars of Max's injury (real or otherwise), the timing of the announcement suggests he will reappear as a grad transfer next year with a Penn diploma and I cannot blame him for that either. So I'm going to take a complete semester off from Penn basketball and when the Ivy season rolls around, I'll purchase a ticket or two. Wish the kids all the best, but don't have much hope."

As it turned out, I went to ZERO games this year. I am likely, absent a coaching change, not to go to any next year. We'll have no upperclass talent or leadership next year (other than Spinoso, whose inability to hit foul shots kills his game) and as we saw, the hardest thing to learn to do well is play defense. I have a feeling that absent a change, there will be a number of transfers out as well. It's a real shame---but have to give some prediction kudos to Jeff, who saw through the veneer that was Penn of a year ago and predicted this before anyone else. It was pretty easy to see a disaster ahead when JD transferred and Max decided he didn't want to play within days of that announcement.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.954 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:56 AM