Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 8 « First<3456>» Last
Username Post: Auburn        (Topic#27995)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-19-24 11:05 AM - Post#365835    
    In response to iogyhufi

Wait a minute---this is the girl you're going to marry and she's not going to watch Yale in the NCAA's live with you?

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-19-24 11:14 AM - Post#365838    
    In response to palestra38

Ha! She actually did suggest that we do so, but we'll see.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
03-19-24 11:46 AM - Post#365842    
    In response to iogyhufi

iggy makes some good points.

i should clarify on the 3/4 point. i dont love who we have to defend there. their 4 is good and stronger than broome. in some ways hes the 5 on offense and broome is the 4. but they are tough on that side and broome alters shots.
the 3 can be a lightning bolt and is long.

AU has a hell of a homecourt advantage though and they used it.

i love that its in spokane actually. long a--ss way away. our kids might enjoy the charter flight.

bruce pearl wont.

james 
Masters Student

03-19-24 03:49 PM - Post#365867    
    In response to james

i asked gemini what he/she thinks:

what is the best way to defend auburn mens basketball

Auburn's strength lies in their dominant frontcourt with Johni Broome and Jaylin Williams. Here are some strategies teams have used to try and defend them:

Limit interior scoring: This seems obvious, but it's crucial. Teams have tried

Double-teaming Broome: This can be risky though, as it can leave open shooters on the perimeter.
Playing a zone defense: This can help clog the paint and make it harder for Broome to get deep position. However, Auburn's shooters can exploit weaknesses in the zone.
Matchup problems: Exploit mismatches if your team has size on the wing. If not,

Force switches: This can put smaller defenders on Williams or Broome, making it tougher for them to score in the post. However, Auburn's guards are capable scorers as well.
Perimeter defense: Don't give open threes. Auburn shoots the three well, so contesting shots and limiting their attempts from deep is important.

Overall gameplan:

Transition defense: Limit easy baskets in transition. Auburn loves to get out and run, so slow them down and get set defensively.
Turnovers: Force turnovers to disrupt their rhythm and limit scoring opportunities.

what is auburns biggest weakness?
While Auburn is a strong team overall, one of their potential weaknesses is their three-point shooting.

Here's why:

Statistics: While they are not a bad three-point shooting team, they aren't elite either. Currently, they rank around #37 nationally in three-point percentage (SI Auburn Basketball Firmly Inside Top 10 of KenPom Ratings: https://www.si.com/college/auburn/basket ball/aubur...
Offensive Reliance: Their offense is very balanced, but if their inside dominance with players like Broome and Williams is shut down, they might need to rely more on the three-point shot. Inconsistency from deep could hurt them in those situations.
It's important to note that this is just a potential weakness, and they can still be very successful even if their three-point shooting isn't lights out. Their strong defense and ability to score inside are their main strengths.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-19-24 03:58 PM - Post#365868    
    In response to james

With "weaknesses" like these, who needs strengths?

• james Said:

Perimeter defense: Don't give open threes. Auburn shoots the three well, so contesting shots and limiting their attempts from deep is important.

what is auburns biggest weakness?
While Auburn is a strong team overall, one of their potential weaknesses is their three-point shooting.

Currently, they rank around #37 nationally in three-point percentage (SI Auburn Basketball Firmly Inside Top 10 of KenPom Ratings: https://www.si.com/college/auburn/basket ball/aubur...

james 
Masters Student

03-19-24 05:57 PM - Post#365872    
    In response to penn nation

haha.

what is being given short shrift and why i fear auburn is their depth.
they can send waves of guys at you with little drop off.
frankly most impressive power team i have seen this year in that regard.
yales response (assuming no foul trouble) is to put less experienced bigs beyond townsend and less offensive which isnt a good recipe.
assuming we handle the onslaught and control to's and fouls this concerns me a ton and probably is why vegas sees it this way.
lastly iggy mentioned home/away but if you look at torvik auburn is ranked pretty high on both neutral/away. so thats an issue also.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-19-24 06:13 PM - Post#365874    
    In response to james

Yeah, I mean you can't argue that Auburn isn't good. But I think their numbers are goosed by the extremely unimpressive bottom half of the SEC, against whom they got most of those games.

To put it in perspective, Auburn did not win a game away from home against a team ranked higher in KenPom than Yale until the SEC tourney.

james 
Masters Student

03-19-24 06:18 PM - Post#365875    
    In response to iogyhufi

stephen pearl just said yale's starting 5 is good enough to be 8-10 in the sec.
"it drops off after that"

he said danny wolf's handle is maybe something he has never seen for a "white kid at his size"

ok.

james 
Masters Student

03-19-24 06:23 PM - Post#365876    
    In response to james

for the record, i like stephen. he is doing the yale scout. he also said some complimentary stuff abt mbeng, mahoney and poulikidas (hes chris moore playing the 4 for them)

bruce said "august mahoney might be the best 3 point set shooter in the country."

some compliments. some back handed ones potentially. and some realistic statements all in one

james 
Masters Student

03-19-24 06:28 PM - Post#365877    
    In response to james

auburn left today for spokane to get adjusted as did bama and charleston-all in the east region.

appears yale players will go to the library during their spring break today and head out 48 hrs prior despite the charter.

oh vey

james 
Masters Student

03-19-24 06:33 PM - Post#365878    
    In response to james

flights from Atl (1.45 hrs from Auburn) to spokane today are $1,300 round trip for economy comfort.
moved a bit in the overnight.

we played the gonzaga tournament in the 90s and had some support. and i know some guys on the left coast headed up. so hopefully can make a little noise if warranted.

auburn team is planning on being on the road through their game against uconn thursday week in boston.
take from that what you may

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-19-24 08:11 PM - Post#365887    
    In response to james

A little overconfidence from the favorite is to be welcomed. The players may pick it up from the coaches.

james 
Masters Student

03-20-24 12:26 AM - Post#365899    
    In response to SRP

congrats to samford who now gets kansas without mccullar.
samford was good in the soco. line shld move

james 
Masters Student

03-20-24 05:28 PM - Post#365921    
    In response to james

ok, listened to a sane sec podcast that uses analytics to some degree.

more balanced but why they think auburn covers the spread:
team is hot. taking less bad 3s
auburn fouls a lot bc it can given its bench. yale doesnt get many fts
yale isnt deep enough. they believe casey simmons is out for the game
yale gets its points from 2. auburns strong suit. said south carolina is point in case. broome and co shut them down
also said that the teams yale plays that turn you over-cornell, fairfield and weber st. yale had a poor record against

didnt mention much personel more high level stats

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-20-24 07:08 PM - Post#365924    
    In response to james

I found myself with a little spare time today and I thought it would be fun to write a little primer on Yale for any Auburn fans who might come looking. Here's what I came up with:

Starting 5:
PG - Bez Mbeng
A pacy floor general with quick twitch instincts. He was the Ivy League DPOY this year, and he did a very capable job of it down the stretch. (Before you scoff, the IL had several guards who would absolutely start for just about anyone at the P5 level.) He's an excellent driver, and recently he's looked to drive for assists rather than for his own shot. He's got a tight handle and great vision - in his last 6 games, he's had an A/TO ratio of 4 to 1. He can hit a three, but it's not really a go-to thing for him.

Wing - August Mahoney
The captain, he's a heady player who has a sweet stroke from outside. He's 27 of his last 46 from three - over 58% - and many of those were from very deep. He's a capable ball-handler who can both pull up and spot up, and he's got a good floater in his bag too.

Wing - John Poulakidas
He's a dangerous three-level scorer who may well be best when the shot's hard. He's a momentum shooter from deep - if he hits two, he'll probably hit 5 - and he's deadly on the midrange pull-up. He's shown a lot of improvement on defense this year, and he guarded Cornell's first teamer pretty well on Saturday.

PF - Matt Knowling
The unsung hero of the Bulldogs (odd to say about a guy who was first-team all-Ivy last year), he's a crafty 4-man with a point guard's handle and vision and elite touch from 10 feet in. He's got 27 assists and only 4 turnovers since returning from injury in February. As a power forward, I remind you. He's Yale's need-a-basket guy and is no stranger to big moments - he's hit two critical buzzer-beaters in league play when Yale has trailed by 1.

C - Danny Wolf
The guy at the top of the scouting report, he's a legit 7-footer with handles, court vision, and a three-point shot. The NIL scavengers are circling him, and for good reason. He's a capable rebounder and shot blocker, and I can give him no better endorsement than to say that he was the best center on the court when Yale visited Phog Allen. (Yes, really.)

Why Auburn should be concerned:
Yale has threats at all five positions, they're an elite team at both defensive rebounding and holding onto the rock, and The Danny Wolf Problem is not so easy to solve defensively. Yale's offense has had periods where it's looked frighteningly good, and if the shooters are hitting and the ball is moving, it has the potential to be elite. Yale is also a very solid defensive team, which means Auburn is going to have to work hard for everything they want to get on offense.

Why Yale should be concerned:
Yale isn't long on shooting - it has two elite shooters, one good shooter, and nobody else who the scouting report would flag as a serious concern (though sixth man Nick Townsend has proven he can knock one down). This has caused Yale some spacing issues when teams will give a little extra help off of Knowling or Mbeng. Yale also isn't the deepest team out there - granted, this hasn't been a huge problem for the most part, but if Yale has problems with foul trouble, things could get tricky.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-20-24 07:16 PM - Post#365925    
    In response to james

I suppose that's not ridiculous from an outside perspective. But if they're banking on the same Yale as we saw against Weber State and Fairfield coming out to play on Friday, I dunno what to tell them.

james 
Masters Student

03-20-24 08:53 PM - Post#365943    
    In response to iogyhufi

good job. wish we had another page for the bench but pretty sparse.

hope simmons isnt hurt. i saw him on insta doing some practice stuff

james 
Masters Student

03-20-24 09:57 PM - Post#365978    
    In response to james

princetons look against the rebs at home not so great to the extent thats the reg season champ which it is

60% fg for the game and getting pounded inside on the glass. well auburn is far better than the runnin rebs so theres that to contemplate with a power team

mw is a tough conference but

james 
Masters Student

03-20-24 10:14 PM - Post#365986    
    In response to james

and unlv is injured and had a cross country flight the week 600 kids hit the portal.

yikes. we have different strengths and weaknesses but thats still just not great as an indicator for anyone.

those fg% are halloween scary

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-20-24 10:24 PM - Post#365988    
    In response to james

They did what Brown did to Princeton inside, only better. Princeton really didn't have an answer to their inside game all game long.

Page 3 of 8 « First<3456>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.787 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:26 PM