Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 7 of 7 « First<4567
Username Post: Let's brainstorm a plan        (Topic#28010)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
04-22-24 01:01 AM - Post#367667    
    In response to umbrellaman

The thing is that after all of this, there isn't much that anyone has come up with. I sort liked my idea of packaging a sports management program unlike any other - with internships (in lieu or addition to NIL), combining Wharton, Law, and Communications, and perhaps the chance to help the player or team earn more NIL through practical application of the education. I get it that it might not seem so differentiated to everyone. Players would have background that prepares them as sports agents, sports media, and executive leadership. They could be put directly into the loop with Penn alumni at sports franchises (there are many).

Beyond that, the ideas center around scholarships and NIL - which won't benefit Penn uniquely in any way.

The main other idea goes back to changing the coach, which is for a different thread (please).

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
04-22-24 09:26 AM - Post#367673    
    In response to Penndemonium

I agree with your premise here.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
04-22-24 12:06 PM - Post#367689    
    In response to Streamers

Ivy's are not going D3 anytime soon. I have a lot more optimism than most. Ivy's have previously found their niche in the recruiting landscape operating in and among the power conference players. The landscape is changing dramatically and I suspect Ivy's will find their niche in the new regime. There are 4,600 D1 basketball scholarships and roughly about 1,100 of those are available in any given year. There are currently over 1,600 basketball athletes in the portal. HS recruits are recruited last after all these players and the openings for these players are more limited than ever (due to the portal). The opportunities for Ivy's is as strong as its every been to attract high quality athletes.

As TigerFan has said, we have had unprecedented success in the D1 tournament and our teams are regularly beating full scholarship teams. There will be Ivy coaches that adjust and capitalize on this new environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngs6wj8tEY

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
04-22-24 03:05 PM - Post#367697    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
Ivy's are not going D3 anytime soon. I have a lot more optimism than most.

Of course, Chicken Littles have been predicting that the Ivies will go to Division III for various reasons for several decades now.

I certainly remember such comments on the old email listserv group.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
04-22-24 06:08 PM - Post#367703    
    In response to Go Green

I understand this train of thought. That said, how many years have had this many All-Ivy players planning to transfer at the same time? Do we think we'll retain more All-Ivy types next year? Do we think Ivy inbound transfers and recruits will raise the overall level? I've only seen Penn's transfer. He may help offset the loss of Perkins IF he is healthy. That said, I would rather not have lost Perkins b/c he was an original recruit, he is from DC, and I liked his game/potential. If Nova saw a lot in him, it seems he's a big loss for us.

I withhold judgment on what how NIL will impact the Ivies' willingness to fund D1 basketball and whether we can recruit the same caliber of players. I think we need to see more about what the inbound talent will look like. The financial delta with the power schools is massively different, but I don't know how the delta with mid-tier D1 schools will settle out.

IThere doesn't seem to be a ton of financial commitment from the Ivy schools or alumni to de-risk this situation completely - so this means that we will need to wait and see what happens.

The sports management degree would just need to be good enough to attract 2 players per class who are great players, want this type of specialized degree, know they aren't NBA talent, and would value the ivy degree and headstart in a sports career over scholarship and NIL. I could imagine being a coach and selling it - and making it work. They just need to do the legwork to get agreement from the academic programs and alumni at sports franchises ahead of time to pilot this. No other big financial changes or NIL money needed.

• Go Green Said:
  • PennFan10 Said:
Ivy's are not going D3 anytime soon. I have a lot more optimism than most.

Of course, Chicken Littles have been predicting that the Ivies will go to Division III for various reasons for several decades now.

I certainly remember such comments on the old email listserv group.

Page 7 of 7 « First<4567
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.191 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:06 PM