Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 7 <2345>» Last
Username Post: Let's brainstorm a plan        (Topic#28010)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
03-23-24 10:28 PM - Post#366287    
    In response to Penndemonium

I know that for some Penn sports, there is an alumni board that Meets and constructs plans for how to build the stature of the sport. They raise money for facilities improvements and seem to have some influence with the Athletic Department over the coaching hires. I don't know formally the roles. The individual sports programs get nothing but apathy and neglect from the athletic department. They defer to the coaches for everything, but coaches typically aren't great all-around at every aspect of running a program. The alumni boards help bring advisors to the sport, working together to set direction and priorities. Without leadership, our athletic programs are a rudderless ship. Basketball feels like that now. Does basketball have any leadership from well informed alumni that are positioned to help? Penn's men's squash team has such a board, for example. They just turned around the team into a national champion.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
03-25-24 09:12 AM - Post#366380    

A question for the board is whether or not it’s possible to operate a NIL collective without the endorsement and cooperation of the underlying university. I ask this only because I had heard the Ivy League sent out a strong off the record message to the universities not to.

If we circle back to the original question and think about formulating a plan, if I were the AD, I’d certainly want to do a sit down with the graduating seniors as well as an exit interview with Tyler Perkins. This may be happening or it may not be happening, but it seems like the logical starting point.

CM 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-11-18
03-25-24 09:26 AM - Post#366382    
    In response to AsiaSunset

If AD did exit interviews with players they'd have to hire all new coaching staffs for both programs.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-25-24 01:02 PM - Post#366413    
    In response to CM

I don't know much about the NIL process, but it sounds like players are free to sign their own NIL deals outside of the universities. That said, the non-ivy universities are raising funds explicitly for player pay of one form or another from alumni.

I'd imagine alumni are free to raise their own NIL collective, but most would want to do it in parallel and cooperation with the team. A collective probably wouldn't want to throw NIL dollars at players the coaches weren't high on, for example.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

03-25-24 01:17 PM - Post#366414    

Some Ivy players have small NIL deals with 3rd parties. A collective would be different though. Players are supposed to provide quid pro quo services for the money. This is somewhat of a joke but it’s not supposed to be pay for play. There needs to be some sort of “work” on the players part. It’s hard to imagine how this would really work unless organized with the universities and their booster groups.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-25-24 02:21 PM - Post#366421    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Couldn't an NIL collective just license the players' NIL - either getting them to wear a sponsor's logo outside of games, or else allowing sponsors to feature them in some advertisement or appearance?

By the way, this is a hypothetical. I have no intention of doing anything, as this is nowhere in my list of life priorities.

CM 
Masters Student

03-25-24 02:49 PM - Post#366423    

Wawa of PA creates a NIL which goes into a collective for all Penn MBB. Player is required to post one social media post a week about how yummy Wawa coffee is for which they get paid $XX. It's pretty simple.

HOWEVER, Penn financial aid finds about the $XX in NIL money, which is income, and then adjusts their aid package down based on the increased income. Isn't the Ivy League great?

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
03-25-24 02:50 PM - Post#366424    

I'm imagining if we had NIL during my days at Penn.

Hassan Duncombe (may he rest in peace) shilling for Abner's.
Bruce Lefkowitz advertising for a slip and fall lawyer.
John Stovall doing ads for a cardiologist. (Sorry.)

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-25-24 03:09 PM - Post#366427    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Lefko and Bernstein shilling bagels.

QHoops 
Senior

Reg: 12-16-04
03-25-24 04:31 PM - Post#366433    
    In response to penn nation

Roughly how many zeros are in $XX in the WaWa's deal?

palestra38 
Professor

03-25-24 04:39 PM - Post#366435    
    In response to QHoops

Enough for 2 Sizzlies.

UPIA1968 
PhD Student
UPIA1968
Loc: Cornwall, PA
Reg: 11-20-06
03-25-24 06:25 PM - Post#366441    
    In response to palestra38

So far the evidence of a change in Ivy BB status shows two things. The first is a modest increase in transfers.

Second there is little or no change in the league's success. Here are three stats Average of lowest team rating - wins in the dance - Average of league rank.

Oughts 95.3 - 0 - 24.7
Teens 67.3 - 4 - 17.2
Twenties 74.8 - 3 - 14.8

I will also mention that the Ivy women got two into the dance. A first for either gender.

It appears we don't know what the future holds.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 11-22-04
03-25-24 07:16 PM - Post#366443    
    In response to UPIA1968

• UPIA1968 Said:
I will also mention that the Ivy women got two into the dance. A first for either gender.

Not true. In 2016, Penn (10-seed) & Princeton (11-seed) both made the Women's NCAA Tournament.
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
Let's brainstorm a plan
03-25-24 11:39 PM - Post#366461    
    In response to 13otto

I apologize for being the little black cloud here, but I think the only realistic long-term planning for Penn and the Ivies involves answering the question, "How are we going to succeed in Division II (or whatever the level we're going to be exiled to will be called)?" As you know, I've been thinking this was going to be coming for a long while anyway, but here's the clincher:

Portal Insanity

To fill in the story from other sources: guy who was the biggest recruit from Iowa and one of the best OT prospects in the country a year ago bailed on the Hawkeyes a week before signing day and went to Alabama instead, at least partially because the Tide made him a better NIL offer. He had an allegedly shaky freshman season (though still good enough to be all-freshman both in the SEC and nationally--imagine what he'd have done if he had been firing on all cylinders!), and then Saban hung it up, so he decided to transfer to Iowa in the spring. He spent two months on campus there, then over spring break decides to transfer back to Alabama--almost certainly due to getting a better NIL offer this time. The best part? He made at least a little NIL money from the Iowa collective which he does not have to pay back.

Now, as it is, the upper-echelon schools are already essentially in minor-league sports here, playing people to play, and even faster than I thought it would happen. The only reason they're even keeping the smallest fig-leaf of pretense that they're not paying them is because they're not quite ready to deal with things like worker's comp and collective bargaining yet. However, stuff like this is going to end their reluctance real quick. As it is, Iowa has to adopt the most God-awful boring defensive strategy to remain competitive in the Big 10. From now on, if they're shelling out the big bucks for players, they're going to want them under contract for four years, and they won't be the only ones. Therefore, pretty soon here, they're going to move to explicitly playing athletes to play, and there is absolutely no way the Ivies are ever going to do that. (This is even assuming they would allow us to stay at their level anyway, and the elimination of auto bids to the NIT and the noises about expanding the NCAA's don't bode well in that regard.) So, down to whatever the highest level of more-or-less amateur athletics we will go, at least for basketball. At this point, I give it ten years max.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Edited by dperry on 03-26-24 12:03 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Let&#039;s brainstorm a plan
03-26-24 05:50 AM - Post#366466    
    In response to dperry

That's not necessarily a bad thing. As long as some major programs pay the big bucks, look for many schools and the vast majority of private Universities to prefer to play in a student athlete environment. There can be a real competition at that level and the Ivies will be very competitive, as they are in all non-revenue sports.

There is no way the vast majority of Division 1 schools can compete in a pay for play environment.

mbaprof 
Senior

Reg: 12-24-11
03-26-24 04:47 PM - Post#366544    
    In response to CM

Would be easy to do WaWa, first time i met AJ as a freshman he was buying a gallon of milk there after practice. Knew we had a winner!

CM 
Masters Student

Re: Let&#039;s brainstorm a plan
03-26-24 05:23 PM - Post#366564    
    In response to dperry

Even DII provides full athletic scholarships.

Talking NIL in the Ivys is the cart well ahead of the horse, unless the starting point is zeroing out tuition as a minimum.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-26-24 07:06 PM - Post#366571    
    In response to CM

Yes, the new environment will clearly favor the Power 4 conferences and schools willing to spend for their players. That will leave an awful lot of teams at the next tier, and it is unclear how stratified that tier will be. It's not hard to imagine either scenario - the ivies climbing up the tables because the spread of Ivies vs. the rest of the 2nd tier compresses, or else Ivies lagging all schools in NIL and dropping further.

Back to what I would do if I were Penn... I think I would raise some form of NIL collective. I don't think there is a formal agreement on what to do here, and Penn is at no disadvantage on ability to raise NIL. None of the Ivies are going to spend their endowment on NIL, so HYPr are not likely at an advantage. Penn has as large a population of wealthy alumni pool as any of the Ivies, and it has historically had a more sports interested alumni group - from years of indifference to sports from Harvard and Yale.

The main argument against NIL money is that it would be competitive with general school fundraising. Right now, even $10M makes a big difference for a basketball program. I think the data would show that winning sports team can inspire giving - there could be a return on investment. I don't think it would vastly undermine the league, there probably aren't Ivy rules against it, and financially it would have a standalone fundraising and spending budget. It wouldn't directly impact the school's balance sheet. It would also alleviate some of the antitrust and unionization conversations around the league.

Strategically, it could lead to more TV appearances, which are good free advertising. It could also bring in revenue from ticket sales, merchandising, and sponsor revenue.

This would at least be a part of my plan for Penn. Better to be the league pioneer than the last one to integrate more active NIL.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
03-26-24 08:58 PM - Post#366573    

I think there's another much more important argument against NIL collectives. It has to do with the fundamental mission of the institution, loss of control over varsity athletics, and the risk/reward calculation. If I were an Ivy president I would do everything in my power to prevent this. As much as I'd like to see this as a fan, as an alum who cares about the institution as a whole I can't support it.

GoQuakersGo 
Sophomore

03-26-24 09:12 PM - Post#366574    
    In response to Silver Maple

Silver Maple, respect your opinion. Curious how you feel this situation differs from similar outside funding sources that touch other aspects of student life at Penn. For example, engineering/business students have access to alumni-funded incubators/venture funds that specifically are created to invest in Penn students' startup ideas. Has that caused the sort of problems you are concerned about?

Page 2 of 7 <2345>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.284 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:57 AM