Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: New Transfer        (Topic#28049)
weinhauers_ghost 
Postdoc

Loc: New York City
Reg: 12-14-09
05-04-24 06:50 AM - Post#368111    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
Yeah, we'll have some competition at guard now - though we'll have little continuity or veteran leadership.

Dylan has a .435/.403/.778 stat line. I liked his video.

I think we're entering a phase where "lack of continuity" is going to be the new normal. The veteran leadership issue you point out will be a problem. Slajchert's departure leaves a void. Who among next year's senior class will step up? Smith? Spinoso? McMullen? Holland? Thrower is the only rising junior with any real game experience to speak of, even though he was out of the rotation much of last season. Sam Brown, as a sophomore?

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
05-04-24 10:44 AM - Post#368114    
    In response to weinhauers_ghost

• weinhauers_ghost Said:

I think we're entering a phase where "lack of continuity" is going to be the new normal.

Harumph. I was going to say exactly that. Unless there's a major, conference-wide policy change, Ivy programs are going to need largely to rebuild every year. Veteran leadership will have to come from players who aren't good enough to attract much interest outside of the conference. Talented players will be constantly entering and leaving. The coaches will need to retool and simplify their offensive and defensive schemes such that their most talented players will be able to get the hang of things on both ends of the court pretty much immediately, as those players are unlikely to be around for more than a season or two.

It's a new world, Golda.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
05-04-24 12:11 PM - Post#368116    
    In response to mbaprof

Obviously a new world, so past rosters may not be indicative of the future. But Penn’s roster was about as small as I can recall last year. So we’re adding a few more bodies, but still looking at 17 for next year, which historically isn’t that unsusual. So hopefully we don’t lose players.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
New Transfer
05-04-24 02:29 PM - Post#368119    
    In response to SomeGuy

So how will this affect us on a relative basis to the other Ivies? This puts an even bigger premium on relentless recruiting and game coaching. These haven't necessarily been Donahue's areas of strength.

Teams under his watch have appeared (as an outsider) to be excellent in terms of culture. All of his teams fight to the end and play for each other. The NIL/Transfer era may undermine Donahue's main area of strength. Maybe Donahue will discover resourcefulness or a relatively better pitch than others for this new world. Penn may have something different to offer. Bigger sports city, Big 5, bigger school, Wharton, and Penn network = bigger visibility and opportunities in the Transfer/NIL era. For better or worse, Penn does now have a track record of developing and sending players to major conferences and bigger NIL.

I suspect that the financial aid issues relative to HYP become a larger issue for Penn, though. Old arguments about how education will pay back the lack of scholarships in the long run are now dead. A shorter term stint means the value of the degree doesn't matter. Matching HYP aid vs. formulaic policy based aid will be a detriment in the maelstrom of applications and transfers. I wasn't sure of that before, but now I have a much better vantage point. For those that have argued that financial aid policy disparity was not an issue, I can now say with confidence that you were wrong about that.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
05-04-24 03:20 PM - Post#368122    

Penn actually takes transfers. Princeton historically takes very few, whether athletes or not, so the Quakers have a structural advantage there that would weigh against financial aid disadvantages.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: New Transfer
05-04-24 03:42 PM - Post#368123    

I don’t think the arguments about the longterm value of the education are dead. Yes, we had a number of important transfers, and that is new. So it is no longer true that the longterm value of the degree nearly always wins out. But it still often wins out, as it appears it did for Pierce, Lee, Mbeng, Poulakidas, Lilly, and Nana. And for Rubio de la Rosa, Spinoso, and Brown at the next tier of players. More players are staying than going, and some of the guys who are staying presumably would have big NIL opportunities.

On the situation for Penn in particular, Penn may have a first mover advantage regarding transfers. If it works, presumably other Ivy schools would step more aggressively into the space. And then we would see whether the HYP advantages would come into play on portal recruiting in the way they do coming out of high school.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.342 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:33 PM