Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: ARE YOU READY FOR THE REAL DEAL?        (Topic#2831)
HungryTiger 

Reg: 03-17-06
03-17-06 10:34 PM - Post#18191    

Let's get it on.

Visit our forum at www.memphistigers.org

npyoung35 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-24-06
Re: ARE YOU READY FOR THE REAL DEAL?
03-18-06 01:55 AM - Post#18192    
    In response to HungryTiger

posted on the memphis board:

"I don't think Bucknell is as good as Oral Roberts. They seemed to have alot of trouble when pressure was applied, and their saving grace was the 3 pt. basket. We have the depth on them, we have the athletecism on them, and we have the height on them. I think this game could get ugly."

Let's go and make another group of Southern hicks look like idiots...

id_203 

Reg: 01-26-06
03-18-06 02:48 AM - Post#18193    
    In response to npyoung35

haha i remember hearing that a team would be able to beat us with height and athleticism, cant remember the name of the team, something about a pig, but i'm pretty sure we won.

HungryTiger 

Reg: 03-17-06
03-18-06 02:53 AM - Post#18194    
    In response to id_203

The joy ride ends Sunday boys. We arn't Arkansas. We are the best team in the nation. We will win it all.

Bison22 
goober

Reg: 01-23-06
03-18-06 03:02 AM - Post#18195    

....and like most uneducated morons, all you wanna do is talk smack and act like your better then the world. I'm not sure the Bucknell fans have the energy to go through this again. We already had to point out to one group of fans this year how they graduate 10% of there players and are an embarassment to the term student-athlete. For a bunch of academic nerds...our boys play ball though. Don't plan on scoring 90 on Sunday. Arkansas averaged 74 before today....they were 18-0 in the city of Dallas all-time...etc...etc...etc. But we are just Bucknell and don't know how to play I guess. Even if you do win on Sunday...I doubt your fans or players will get good enough jobs to buy the class that you urgently need.

Tiger in NYC 

Reg: 03-18-06
03-18-06 03:03 AM - Post#18196    
    In response to npyoung35

Quote:

posted on the memphis board:

"I don't think Bucknell is as good as Oral Roberts. They seemed to have alot of trouble when pressure was applied, and their saving grace was the 3 pt. basket. We have the depth on them, we have the athletecism on them, and we have the height on them. I think this game could get ugly."

Let's go and make another group of Southern hicks look like idiots...

The game is afoot. We are going to cream you like a soda.

Bison22 
goober

03-18-06 03:04 AM - Post#18197    
    In response to Bison22

one more thing.....i hope washington jr. is practicing his free throws....he might need them on Sunday....im still shedding tears over that debacle last year....so sad.

HornLakeTiger 

03-18-06 03:20 AM - Post#18198    
    In response to Bison22

You guys have got a good team, absolutely no doubt about that.

But some rather mouthy fans, I've got to say..

A group of southern hicks, you say...?

Well, allow me to drop some genuine southern English on you when I say that we ain't Arkansas, which you'll find out soon enough, and you ain't surviving the weekend.

Believe it or not, I actually did come over to wish you guys a good game, but after I read a few comments over here...well, we'll just see how things go Sunday afternoon.

And as for the comment about Darius, you're gonna get introduced to him in less than 48 hours...just be patient, ya'll.

#1 Tiger Fan 
#1 Tiger Fan
03-18-06 03:36 AM - Post#18199    
    In response to HornLakeTiger

Jeez, have you seen Darius play THIS YEAR at all? Because if you had, you would know better than to talk like that. You just showed your "rear," and your utter lack of Bball knowledge. I am hoping for a good game, but you better have your team training for a marathon, because your 3pt streak is bound to end soon, and our team will run you until your tongues drag the court. And we are far above arkansuck(my root) in terms of talent, ability, speed, athleticism, and RESOLVE. every major commentator (hack) had us picked to lose to a 16. we all know how that ended, now don't we.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-18-06 04:19 AM - Post#18200    
    In response to #1 Tiger Fan

Please don't compare Memphis to Arkansas when it comes to academics in its hoops program. Arkansas' players have a lofty graduation rate of 19%. Memphis, on the other hand, has a graduation rate of 13% for its hoops players. In other words, they are hired guns who come in, play their four years, and leave again. Not even a pretense of being students. The NCAA, unfortunately, moves at a glacier-like speed but ultimately programs like this will begin to have scholarships taken away.

Bucknell, for any strangers on the board, once again has a 100% graduation rate for its basketball players.

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/sport/public/downloads/2006_NCAA_BB_Mens_Tournament.pdf

Anonymous 

03-18-06 04:49 AM - Post#18201    

Actual conversation I overheard during the NCState-Cal game by two people sitting behind me in Memphis attire:

Person 1: "So that team in red, who are they?"
Person 2: "I think they're NC State."
Person 1: "What state are they in?"
Person 2: "I guess NC...whatever state that is."

Good luck to Bucknell on Sunday. Unfortunately I won't be there to cheer you on as the Penn loss means I need to head home.

#1 Tiger Fan 
#1 Tiger Fan
03-18-06 04:53 AM - Post#18202    
    In response to Bison137

how old are the figures you are quoting????? Cal has our graduation rate WELL OVER the NCAA standards (above 75%, i believe) for this year. you know NOT of which you speak. check your facts, jack!!!!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-18-06 05:15 AM - Post#18203    

Quote:

how old are the figures you are quoting????? Cal has our graduation rate WELL OVER the NCAA standards (above 75%, i believe) for this year. you know NOT of which you speak. check your facts, jack!!!!

If you had read the post, you would have noticed that I attached the link to the graduation statistics and study. You can also go on NCAA.org and see the same stats. They are the CURRENT NCAA graduation rates for basketball players. Repeat CURRENT!!!

I'm sure Calipari hopes that some of the current players graduate and improve that pathetic graduation rate. By the way, there are no "NCAA standards" when it comes to graduation rates - that is part of the problem. When real standards are put into place (not the wishy-washy APR's), programs like this will start to lose scholarships.

Once again, hHere is the link that was shown in the original post: http://www.bus.ucf.edu/sport/public/downloads/2006_NCAA_BB_Mens_Tournament.pdf

And here is the link to the CURRENT NCAA graduation rates on their web-site: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/inst2005/404.pdf

Both sites confirm that the Memphis 4-year graduation rate for men's basketball players is 13%, using the traditional measure. By the new, more liberal formula, the graduation rate skyrockets to 25%. Read the studies and weep. Just another example of discardable basketball players - - - use them for four years and then discard them without a degree or any life skill other than dribbling a basketball.

#1 Tiger Fan 
#1 Tiger Fan
03-18-06 05:21 AM - Post#18204    
    In response to Bison137

well, the University of Memphis is @ 60%, but then - we are also able to recruit NBA caliber players (who make the jump early) - and still (to this day) come back to earn their degrees). But if Grad. rates are what you hang your hat on - so be it. your 100% trumps our 60% - but it is a FAR CRY from 19%, nonetheless.

now, chew on THAT.

krtrumpet182 
Freshman
krtrumpet182
Reg: 01-18-06
03-18-06 05:24 AM - Post#18205    

"we are also able to recruit NBA caliber players (who make the jump early) - and still (to this day) come back to earn their degrees)"

I was going to comment about this, but I better not. Bucknell fans, I'm sorry you have to read this pollution. Keep it classy.

#1 Tiger Fan 
#1 Tiger Fan
03-18-06 05:29 AM - Post#18206    
    In response to Bison137

ACTUALLY, since 2001, Memphis has upwards of a 60% grad. rate - the NCAA site is WAAAAAAAAAAY behind. so don't count on THAT. I realize you are sitting @ 100% - but fewer of your players encounter the lure of NBA $$$$$$ like ours, and yet most of our players still come back to earn their degree. you will regret that comment.

We will BURY you on Sunday. How DARE you equate us to the piggies (I was pulling for you to win - and did not consider it an upset). Coach Cal has this program headed in the right direction. anyone who doesn't see that is blinded by his own allegiance.

#1 Tiger Fan 
#1 Tiger Fan
03-18-06 05:30 AM - Post#18207    
    In response to Bison137

you are sorely misinformed on grad rates. the NCAA website is woefully behind. we are @ 60%.

TigerTitan 

Okay, So your players graduate....
03-18-06 05:30 AM - Post#18208    
    In response to Bison137

We'll grant you that. Bucknell is a private ivy league school with 3500 students in the middle of Pennsylvania. We are an urban public university with over 21,000 students in the middle of one of the largest cities in the South. You are comparing apples and oranges when it comes to scholastics.

But this is not The College Bowl!!! This is the NCAA National Basketball Championship we are talking about. Let's talk players, coaches, teams. Not who has smarter athletes!

Links for your information: http://gotigersgo.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mem-m-baskbl-body.html

http://www.coachcalipari.com/calipari/

http://www.memphis.edu/

#1 Tiger Fan 
#1 Tiger Fan
03-18-06 05:33 AM - Post#18209    
    In response to Bison137

the grad rates you posted are from 1999. we are at 60%.

#1 Tiger Fan 
#1 Tiger Fan
03-18-06 05:33 AM - Post#18210    
    In response to Bison137

those are 1999 numbers. we are at 60% now.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.146 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:32 AM