Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn Offers Scholarships!        (Topic#2897)
T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
03-23-06 07:48 PM - Post#18653    

Just kidding. That was to get your attention. But the U did offer this press release today:

University of Pennsylvania Will Pay Tuition and Room and Board for Families Earning Less Than $50,000
(http://www.upenn.edu/pennnews/article.php?id=925)

Will this have any effect on Fran's ability to recruit? How many top recruited athletes can a) meet the admissions standards and b) come from families making less than $50,000 a year? What was the financial aid package for these kids before?

Anyone out there think this could help get maybe one stud a year who otherwise might have gone to another school offering scholarships?

Penn90 
Masters Student
Penn90
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Penn Offers Scholarships!
03-23-06 08:08 PM - Post#18654    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

President Gutman's entire fundraising pitch is centered around building the scholarship endowment, which is smaller than every other Ivy, Stanford and MIT.

More than 40% of undergraduates receive financial aid from the University. For FY'06, only 12% is covered through income from Penn's scholarship endowment. The remaining $70.4 million is funded from Penn's general operating budget. By comparison, Princeton's scholarship endowment covers 100%.

Pardon the pun, but Gutman is putting a full-court press on alums, offering a match deal: you endow a scholarship for approximately $365K and tailor it the way you want, i.e., make it for a student from the DC area or a nursing major, etc. Theoretically -- and correct me if I am wrong -- an alumni-endowed scholarship could be for a student who wants to compete in a sport.

Possible legality of the endowed scholarship aside (I like the idea of Andreas Schreiber being the Penn90 Scholarship winner for a freshman who intends to play men's hoops), there's a logistical problem that makes it less attractive than your standard athletic scholarship. That is, some poor schnook in Admissions must pore over every kid who will attend Penn, examine their financial needs, and then match it with the scholarship that fits best. Tedious, to say the least. And not as quick-and-easy as an an athletic scholarship.

Again, I have no idea if you can endow a men's hoops scholarship, but within five years Penn's scholarship endowment will be much closer to Princeton, Harvard, etc., than it is now.

Based on the above press release, it sounds like Penn is making progress in the fundraising drive.
Leges sine moribus vanae

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
03-23-06 08:35 PM - Post#18655    
    In response to Penn90

All the existing scholarship programs are need based and are given to a subset of our entire need based population based on merit/laedership/special abilities criteria. This is a sweetening of the pot for an entire segment of the need based population. It's pretty aggressive for Penn and goes well beyond Harvard's existing program (which I'm sure they'll modify shortly in response). This is a real feather in Gutman's cap. Well done Amy.

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
Reg: 11-23-04
03-24-06 12:02 AM - Post#18656    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Harvard already does this.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.194 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:22 AM