Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Weekend Recap        (Topic#29)
columbia92 
goober
columbia92
Loc: NYC
Reg: 11-22-04
11-22-04 07:46 PM - Post#150    

Columbia 82 – Longwood 69
Columbia 76 – Morehead State 58

Jones starts two Freshmen both nights: Loscalzo and Nwachukwu (pronounced wah-chuh-KOO) but limits their action. Loscalzo looks more ready right now than Big Ben, but the difference from HS to D1 pivot is much greater than the transition at point guard. Kashif Sweet also gets minutes at the 1. Sweet is the quickest CU point guard since Alton Byrd. Finally, somebody to break the press and defend against the faster guards in the league. Loscalzo has great court vision, and looks to push the ball every time, including a couple of half-court feeds to cherry picking Lions who were breaking off every missed opposition shot. Brett had trouble defending the quicker Quinton Smith early in game 2, but Sweet had some success, especially in 2nd half.

Of all the frosh, though, Mack Montgomery could be a difference maker. Quick, with a nice mid-range game, and the ability to rebound. He is very polished. Granted the competition wasn’t fierce, but for a Freshman to come in and look as comfortable as he did is very exciting.

Longwood is not particularly athletic, but they have some big bodies that can bang, and without Baron and Baumann this could have been a matchup problem. Lions were cold early from the field in game 1, but Matt Preston outhustled two players 5 inches taller than he on the offensive glass (6 in the first half). It looks like Preston hit the weight room big time this summer. Morehead had more bodies, but they obviously aren’t used to back-to-backs, like we are. The big men were sluggish (Chad McKnight had a great game 1, mediocre game 2). Kyle Macy may have some talent there, though.

Preston’s ambidexterity confused both teams. He will be valuable in the league, but the league has some size again with Cusworth back. He will need to be able to hit his jumpers like he did this weekend to keep teams honest, and open up room for Nwachukwu.

Most improved: Tito Hill and Colin Davis. Davis was a big spark in game 1. He could make it tough for Baumann to jump into the rotation, if he plays like he did this weekend. Hill looked comfortable shooting, as if there was all the pressure off him from being the PG. Kravic didn’t look like himself, but he was playing down low for stretches, especially when Dalen and Tito were in the game. Matt Land contributed workman-like minutes. Barrett seems like the odd man out of the rotation among the forwards.

A-Mac is the third option at the 2. Jeremiah and Dalen both played well in spurts, but their selection to the all-tourney team was a little questionable. Chad McKnight (MSU) had a better all-around tourney. Dalen was very hot in game 2, and was catching and releasing very quickly, coming off screens. Dare I say he resembled a shorter Schiffner?

Free throw shooting outstanding, especially Friday.

Only thing I would have liked to have seen would be Columbia defend against the best gunner in the tourney, Landy Thompson of Mt. St. Mary’s. Thompson scored 34 v Longwood on Sat Nite, and was perhaps the best player over the weekend. He can’t defend, but he can slash and bomb. He will make some noise in the NEC.

The great news is that the team is very deep, and that’s without Baumann who some have touted as the best frosh. The upperclassmen are definitely being pushed for PT, and all seemed to respond well to the challenge.

The bad news is that it is tough to say how good the competition really was. It isn't a stretch to think this team could start 4-0, though.

The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Weekend Recap
11-22-04 09:37 PM - Post#151    
    In response to columbia92

Thanks for the recap. I had to miss Saturday's action, but it sounds like they didn't start as slowly in that game as they did on Friday. It is hard to evaluate the opposition, especially Longwood, which I believe was playing its first Division I games. For what it's worth, the Lancers are recruiting nationwide, with kids from Maine and Rhode Island all the way to Arizona and Washington.

This year's freshmen have a great opportunity to play, since there are only two sophomores on the team, Barrett and Baron, of whom the latter is out with an injury right now. And I'd say it was a good job of opponent selection by Coach Jones, or whoever chose the opponents. All the teams were medocre enough to beat but good enough to give Columbia a challenge in the process.

P.S. I'll take your word for the pronunciation of Nwachukwu's name. The announcer said "WA-choo-koo," perhaps subconsciously influenced by Roger Miller's "Do-Wacka-Do." But he's not always the most reliable guide. I'm still trying to figure out Jim Tube-ridy and Catherine Tub-ridy.

columbia92 
goober
columbia92
Loc: NYC
Re: Weekend Recap
11-22-04 09:50 PM - Post#152    
    In response to The Lion King

wah-cha-Koo is tough to pronounce without an understanding of the native dialect. It was TUB-riddy. I think there was a change behind the mike after Jim graduated.

Mt. St. Mary's may have been the best challenge, they just lost a close game which they choked away in Overtime. Landy Thompson may have been the best player in the gym, but it's hard to give tourney MVP to the 3rd place team.

Both Morehead (Ohio Valley) and MSM (Northeast) should finish middle of the pack in their conferences. What kills me is that the NEC has a better website than our "elite" conference.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Weekend Recap-Armstrong?
11-23-04 02:46 AM - Post#153    
    In response to columbia92

First-year Armstrong hasn't played at all, as far as I can tell. Hurt?
west coast fan

mgms 

Re: Weekend Recap-Armstrong?
11-23-04 04:23 AM - Post#154    
    In response to internetter

armstrong is not only playing out of position (he was a post guy in HS) but he has to compete with seniors and other upperclassmen for floor time. I think he hasnt developed as fast as Montgomery and the 2 PGs.
Dalan Cuff is my boy...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.258 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:24 AM