Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Miller's Time?        (Topic#2901)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
03-25-06 03:30 PM - Post#18741    

I'm loathe to even discuss this, because it's an acknowledgement that Miller may somehow be lured away from the college hoops paradise that is Brown University Bears men's basketball.

But, given the fact that he's been associated with three schools with open positions - one that is the cream of the league, and two that are scholarship programs (and, as a friend points out, have no AI) - I suppose it's more than a real possibility.

Personally, I don't feel that Hartford or Fairfield are big enough jumps reputationally to justify Miller's leaving - especially with what the Brown squad may look like in the next two years. I think two years from now this team can challenge for the title, and another season like that would be another feather in Miller's cap. However, I believe that both campuses may be closer to Miller's home, which I understand Miller's family has no interest in leaving.

Penn, at least, I could understand. In my opinion, it's reputationally a better opportunity than either of the other two, as it's Miller's best opportunity to finally see the post-season, and it's in a storied facility. Plus, we Brown fans would get to watch Penn fans' reactions to Miller's antics and player retention issues, which would make the Miller-to-Penn pill a little easier to swallow.

Of course, I hope Miller stays. And, I continue to believe he'll still be Brown's coach next year. Until he's gone, that is.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
Loc: Back Waters of New Englan...
Reg: 11-23-04
Re: Miller's Time?
03-26-06 12:23 AM - Post#18742    
    In response to Bruno

I would love to see Miller at Penn. It would provide Penn with an entertainment value that it has so sorely lacked in recent years. Then again, Kareem would be even better.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
03-26-06 04:26 AM - Post#18743    
    In response to Big R&B Truth

Miller can beat Princeton with the players he has at Brown. At Penn he'd be Princeton's worst nightmare.

Brown50 
Junior

Reg: 11-28-04
03-26-06 01:26 PM - Post#18744    

I happen to live in the same area of Southeastern Connecticut as Miller and find the travel time to Providence,Fairfield and Hartford is about the same.
Hence,I feel commute time would not be a factor in his descision.
(I still feel that his goal is to someday return to UConn as head coach. He would then be able to remain in his present home.)

Bruno 
PhD Student

03-26-06 01:59 PM - Post#18745    
    In response to Brown50

That may be, but I would think that taking jobs in the Connecticut area wouldn't really help him score that UConn job. I suppose if he was able to turn around the Fairfield situation, he might be a candidate, but UConn is such a storied program that it would seem he'd need turnaround experience with a conference bigger than MAAC, America East and/or Ivy League.

I'm trying to think of other Ivy coaches that have made jumps to major conferences. If Dunphy scores Temple, obviously that's a big jump, and JTIII scored Georgetown (but, not without the obvious connection). Otherwise, I don't know of any.

Anonymous 

03-26-06 02:23 PM - Post#18746    
    In response to Bruno

Don't forget Carmody.

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
03-26-06 02:58 PM - Post#18747    
    In response to Bruno

In the past several Penn coaches have made jumps to major conferences. The last being Bob Weinhauer who went to the PAC 10, and Craig Littlepage who went to the Big East.

palestra38 
Professor

03-26-06 03:08 PM - Post#18748    

Dick Harter went to Oregon and although not college ball, a guy named Daly kinda ended up as coach of a couple of NBA champions.

On the other side, Schneider went to mighty Loyola of Baltimore.

Bruno 
PhD Student

03-26-06 07:31 PM - Post#18749    
    In response to palestra38

These are all good examples - although with the exception of Carmody, all were in a slightly different era of Ivy hoops, no?

But most notable is that they're all Penn or Princeton, which, back to my original point, would make only the Penn opportunity worth it from a career perspective for Miller, in my mind.

But who knows what other factors Miller's dealing with at Brown (or with his family) that we don't know about.

Bruno 
PhD Student

03-26-06 07:31 PM - Post#18750    
    In response to

Good point, but Northwestern certainly isn't UConn.

Big R&B Truth 
Masters Student
Big R&B Truth
03-26-06 07:59 PM - Post#18751    
    In response to Bruno

The point is for at least two decades the Penn job was a stepping stone to a higher position. Dunphy is actually an exception to the rule.

IvyAlumni 
Freshman

Reg: 11-29-05
03-28-06 08:58 PM - Post#18752    

In my opinion, the only reason Miller is still at Brown is because of the money and security. They wouldn't fire him if he had 10 bad years in a row. I'm not sure if he'd be afforded that same luxury if her were to go to Penn. But still, if Penn offered more money, i'd wager he'd be renting a Uhaul tommorrow.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

03-29-06 03:58 PM - Post#18753    
    In response to IvyAlumni

His name has come up (again) at Northeastern. I think he turned it down last time; I hope he still feels the same way.

Bruno 
PhD Student

03-29-06 05:06 PM - Post#18754    
    In response to Old Bear

So, now it looks like there are four prospective jobs on there, but given the fact that he's not likely a serious candidate at Fairfield, let's look at three.

In terms of overt attractiveness, I'd probably have to rank them:

Penn
Northeastern
Hartford

Northeastern might have a good recruiting class coming on though, given the presence of Barea and some nationwide notoriety resulting from that. But I guess I wouldn't pick them to repeat on their solid RPIs of late, given Barea's impending graduation.

But, it's looking like the chances are getting greater that Miller won't be here next year.

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
03-29-06 05:18 PM - Post#18755    
    In response to Bruno

Between scholarships and the CAA's prominence this year I would have to think Northeastern is more desirable than Penn.
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

Bruno 
PhD Student

03-29-06 05:37 PM - Post#18756    
    In response to DCAJedi

Agreed on scholarships and CAA, but I think Miller's overwhelming desire right now is go make it to the NCAAs -- and for that, he'll have a better shot with Penn than he would with Northeastern.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.061 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:41 AM