Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: 2007 recruits...        (Topic#2947)
ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
Re: One more name - Jimmer Fredette
09-14-06 08:49 PM - Post#19101    
    In response to Bison137

well, another big man has emerged....

c garret fiddler:
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=157&p=8&c=1&nid=2571226

from coloradopreps.com:

Quote:

Garrett Fiddler (6'9" P Doherty HS, Colorado Springs, CO) is still very wide open, but is starting to narrow down his choices. Fiddler is a phenomenal student with a 4.7 GPA, 33 ACT and 2300 SAT. He is looking for a school that will fit his academic and athletic needs. His current list of schools includes Denver, Bucknell, Lehigh, Santa Clara, SMU, Colorado, Northwestern, Portland, Pacific, Wyoming, San Diego State, Princeton and Penn. Denver, Bucknell and Lehigh are the current leaders. He visited Denver in August and is setting up visits to Bucknell, Lehigh and Santa Clara. Fiddler is a very strong presence in the middle and is one of the best shot blockers in the country. He has soft touch around the rim and a ton of upside.

and from scout.com in june:

Quote:

Garrett Fiddler, 6-9 JR C Colorado Springs (Col.) Doherty. A big, strong kid with a solid frame, Fiddler moves pretty well and he competes. He’s more of a defender/rebounder at this point than a scorer. A possible mid to high major prospect.

garrett was also ranked as the ninth best center in the west on july 6.
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
09-15-06 02:46 AM - Post#19102    
    In response to ericatbucknell

Based on the writeups, Fiddler would be an interesting addition to the Bison - "one of the best shotblockers in the country". One of the articles notes that he led the state of Colorado in blocks with 6.3 bpg.

I think the Bison have only had one real strong shotblocker ever - Mike Butts. Number 2, at least to my recollection, would be current assistant coach Dan Bowen. The top shotblocker for a smaller player would likely be Mike Bright. Also, going back a lot further, before records were kept in this category, Harvey Carter in the early '70's rejected a number of shots. (He also averaged over 10 rpg for his Bison career.) ANY OTHERS? I don't have a good recollection as to whether Barry and/or Steve Sigl blocked many shots and no records were kept on this stat in their era.

Based on some of this info, Fiddler, might be an interesting complement to O'Brien, who is more of a PF with good range on his shot. Of course Crimmins would seemingly be a nice addition also.

A couple more articles on Fiddler, who is originally from Oregon. Also a couple of pictures:

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2004/1223/sport/stories/01sport.htm

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2005/0820/sport/stories/01sport.htm

http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/prep_boys_basketball/article/0,1299,DRMN_97_4489490,00.html

mattie g 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
09-18-06 12:33 PM - Post#19103    
    In response to Bison137

How do you have a 4.7 GPA? And have they changed the SAT scores now to go above 1600?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
09-18-06 12:40 PM - Post#19104    
    In response to mattie g

1. Two possible explanations for the 4.7 - (1) a few high schools use a 5 point system; or (2) many high schools with a 4 point system give extra weight for honors courses and even more weight for A.P.'s. My oldest child, for example, had almost a 4.6 on a 4.0 system due to a course load of 90% honors courses and six AP's.

2. The SAT changed last year to three parts, each worth 800 max, for a total of 2400. The third part is a writing sample.

mattie g 
Masters Student

09-19-06 11:26 AM - Post#19105    
    In response to Bison137

Interesting. I'm not even THAT far out of college to not be aware of the SAT changes. I have to say, though, that it's nice to see a writing section, however subjective the grading might be. The above-4.0 grading is a bit strange, as well.

Oh well...on with the show. Thanks for the insight, 137.

res 
Masters Student

09-19-06 05:52 PM - Post#19106    
    In response to mattie g

I graduated from high school way back in 1972, and even then there were above-4.0 GPAs. At my school, extra GPA points were assigned not on the basis of AP or other advanced nature of the material, but on total course credits. Band, Chorus, and some other extracurricular activities counted as much as AP chemistry. Led to some interesting choices for class valedictorians, etc.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
Re: 2007 recruits...
09-20-06 11:05 AM - Post#19107    
    In response to KenZ

i don't subscribe to rivals so i cannot read the article, but based on the list of schools it appears we may be in Scott Saunders final four along with Tulane, Rice and Xavier

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=46497&sport=2

these four schools are listed as medium interest while the rest of the list is at low.

this would be another outstanding recruit for the Bison if he were to sign on.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
09-20-06 12:20 PM - Post#19108    
    In response to KenZ

Quote:

i don't subscribe to rivals so i cannot read the article, but based on the list of schools it appears we may be in Scott Saunders final four along with Tulane, Rice and Xavier

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=46497&sport=2

these four schools are listed as medium interest while the rest of the list is at low.

this would be another outstanding recruit for the Bison if he were to sign on.

I too don't subscribe to Rivals so I can't help out here. (Eric, where are you?)

I did google Saunders and discovered that he had played for New Orleans Jesuit until Katrina all but destroyed the school. There is one little connection between Saunders and the Bison. After Katrina, a number of his classmates from New Orleans Jesuit transferred to Strake Jesuit in Houston, where one of their classmates was Stephen Tyree.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=45486

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
09-20-06 02:07 PM - Post#19109    
    In response to Bison137

where am i? busy being poor, thats where i am. nonetheless, im sick of not being able to access rivals information (most scout material can be found for free), so my fantastic $13455 assistantship salary has been stretched $9.95 thinner.

anyway, we are indeed in his final four. the pertinent paragraph:

Quote:

The other school high on his list is Bucknell. A late summer visit to the Bucknell campus has put them firmly near the top of Saunders' list. "I like Bucknell a lot. When I went up there on an unofficial in early August and it made a good impression on me. I like the campus and I like the coaching staff. I like the enthusiasm for the basketball program on campus and around Lewisburg. It is a real small town, but I feel that there is a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of support. I look forward to visiting there in a couple of weeks."

hes coming october 6, after visits to rice this weekend and tulane next. his other two officials have not been set, though xavier will likely be one of them.

saunders offer board currently shows tulane, xavier, bucknell, rice, bradley, furman, belmont and lipscomb.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
09-20-06 11:31 PM - Post#19110    

Quote:

where am i? busy being poor, thats where i am. nonetheless, im sick of not being able to access rivals information (most scout material can be found for free), so my fantastic $13455 assistantship salary has been stretched $9.95 thinner.

eric, now you've got me feeling guilty, but we appreciate the info. sounds similar to the good things Todd O'Brien was saying prior to his commitment, although i guess that should be expected when you survive the cut to the final four.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
09-22-06 09:04 PM - Post#19111    
    In response to KenZ

heh... its all good. the guilt trip was for (mostly) comedic purposes. i may only have $10 in my bank account, but i also have two very, very, very loving parents ::cough, cough::.

anyway, i figured it would be apropriate to condense a lot of the info provided. first, a list of patriot league commits to date. then a rundown of bucknells targets.

Code:
pl commits---

bucknell: todd obrien, darryl shazier
holy cross: andrew beinert
lehigh: mike howlett, rob keefer
navy: ricky simon

bucknells list---

commits:
Todd O'Brien
Darryl Shazier

offers:
Zach Crimmins (?)
Kyle Griffin
Blake Hoffarber
Scott Saunders

prospects:
Joey Accaoui
G.W. Boon
Brett Burrier
Josh Collins
Noah Dahlman
Garrett Fiddler
B.J. Frazier
Teddy Greissing
Conner Hartley
Nick Hendra
Thomas Kopko
Cardell McFarland
Kareem Nitoto
Keith Olsen
Jonath. Sloan
Ryan Sterling
Darien Tompkins
Scottie Trueblood
Gary Wallace, Jr.
Garrett Williams

commits elsewhere:
Orlando Allen
Andrew Beinert
Aaron Bond
Jimmer Fredette
Matthew Friday
Robert Kreps
Caleb Patterson
Kendall Wallace

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
09-23-06 12:05 PM - Post#19112    

thanks for the summary eric, it is helpful.

according to ron19, we have offered Gary Wallace, Jr.

per Siena msg board we have offered Ryan Rossiter, a 6-8 forward.

Hoffarber has clearly eliminated us from his list. any others you can scratch with info from that Rivals memebership? who is Frazier focused on these days?

it would also be interesting (not that i have the right to give you marching orders) to include where the players land. i know:
Beinert - Holy Cross
Bond - Davidson
Fredette - BYU
Kreps - UIC
Patterson - Colorado
Wallace - UNLV

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
09-23-06 02:44 PM - Post#19113    
    In response to KenZ

thanks for the update/correction....

hoffarber has indeed eliminated us. his final three are minnesota, notre dame and vanderbilt. its always nice to see a kid who actually cares about academics.

i dont think we can write frazier off just yet, but with an offer from miami-fl on the table and serious looks coming from the likes of illinois, georgia, oregon and iowa state... our chances appear to be slim at best.

the only other guy we could write off at this point is kareem nitoto. unless a high-major progam comes calling it looks like hes staying on the west coast.

and an updated/prettier recruit list:

Code:

COMMITS:
Todd O'Brien Bucknell
Darryl Shazier Bucknell

OFFERS:
Zach Crimmins
Kyle Griffin
Blake Hoffarber
Ryan Rossiter
Scott Saunders
Gary Wallace, Jr.

PROSPECTS:
Joey Accaoui
G.W. Boon
Brett Burrier
Josh Collins
Noah Dahlman
Garrett Fiddler
B.J. Frazier
Teddy Greissing
Conner Hartley
Nick Hendra
Thomas Kopko
Cardell McFarland
Kareem Nitoto
Keith Olsen
JonathanSloan
Ryan Sterling
Darien Tompkins
Scottie Trueblood
Garrett Williams

COMMITS ELSEWHERE:
Orlando Allen Paris (TX) JC
Andrew Beinert Holy Cross
Aaron Bond Davidson
Jimmer Fredette BYU
Matthew Friday Samford
Robert Kreps Illinois-Chicago
Caleb Patterson Colorado
Kendall Wallace UNLV

i actually had the schools to which players had committed in my original post but eliminated them when i tried to format everything. a quick modification to my excel spreadsheet and we are good to go.

Anonymous 

09-23-06 11:34 PM - Post#19114    

There was a recruit they have been showing around yesterday and today. I do not know who it is, but all three assistants have been with him.

npyoung35 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-24-06
09-23-06 11:50 PM - Post#19115    

Good choice by the staff of what weekend for him to visit. That's Homecoming if I'm not mistaken, hopefully Saunders will have a good time while he's here and make the right choice.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
09-24-06 11:08 AM - Post#19116    
    In response to BU312

Quote:

There was a recruit they have been showing around yesterday and today. I do not know who it is, but all three assistants have been with him.

general description, height?

bisonfan 
Junior

Reg: 09-03-06
09-24-06 08:13 PM - Post#19117    
    In response to KenZ

Can anyone find out who the recruit was this past weekend that was seen with the assistants coaches? I'm just curious. With 2 committments already and Flannery may have at least 1 maybe 2 more scholarships these visitors seem to be fighting for 2 spots left.

If Crimmins doesn't hurry up and make a decision I think he may miss this chance if the recruit this past weekend was for the same position. At this point it is whoever calls Flannery first with a committment.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
09-25-06 11:21 AM - Post#19118    
    In response to bisonfan

Ryan Rossiter committed to Siena. not so sure Bucknell offered based on the announcing article, but he did reportedly have an offer from Providence.

i am not too disappointed by this one, although he could turn out to be an excellent player. without having any true insight, i would prefer to see Saunders and/or Crimmins as an additional big.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
09-26-06 01:43 AM - Post#19119    
    In response to KenZ

...and hoffarber to minnesota.

from the looks of things pat may be waiting on saunders, who appears to be our top prospect on the board (offers from xavier and tulane, serious interest from usc). the idea may be to give him a window after his visit in two weeks to commit, after which the griffins/crimmins/fiddlers/sloans may be given the 'first to commit gets it' go-ahead.

the staff is in a somewhat difficult situation, i suspect, as we seem to have taken a nice step up in the recruiting game this year. do you offer crimmins immediately, as you would have done two years ago, or do you wait it out with the big boys for saunders? uncharted waters, indeed.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
09-26-06 12:19 PM - Post#19120    

Quote:

from the looks of things pat may be waiting on saunders, who appears to be our top prospect on the board (offers from xavier and tulane, serious interest from usc). the idea may be to give him a window after his visit in two weeks to commit, after which the griffins/crimmins/fiddlers/sloans may be given the 'first to commit gets it' go-ahead.

any info on Slaon other than we are on a long list with a mix of majors and mid-majors. he appears to be another high caliber prospect. top 25 in Texas, not too shabby.

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.237 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:00 AM