Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Hofstra Game Pulled From WKCR at 5:30 PM        (Topic#296)
CULions82 

Reg: 12-22-04
12-22-04 09:59 PM - Post#1520    

Proving that they were capable of topping even the last debacle, the Geniuses at the WKCR Board of Directors decided to pull tonight's Columbia/Hofstra game from the airwaves roughly 30 minutes ago, after the broadcasters had arrived at the Hofstra Arena.

The game was only to be heard on WKCR's MP3 stream, to allow listeners to choose between the ongoing Bach Festival (Real Audio stream or over the air) and tonight's basketball game (MP3). Now, Bach Fest will be heard over the MP3 Stream as well, meaning those of us dying to hear Columbia/Hofstra are screwed.

After watching Coach Jones on ESPN's Cold Pizza yesterday morning and reading ESPN.com's Andy Katz's column on the game yesterday afternoon, I'm devastated that I have no way of hearing my Lions in their biggest game in years.

To express you dissatisfaction with this idiotic decision, you can call WKCR at 212-854-9920 or the Fundraiser Hotline at 212-851-2699. I, for one, will not be donating to the station as long as these clowns are running the show.

Anonymous 

Re: Hofstra Game Pulled From WKCR at 5:30 PM
12-22-04 10:15 PM - Post#1521    
    In response to CULions82

What you don't realize is that as long as the people at the station who made this decision are in power, they can be counted on to renege on agreements and generally trample over any other opinions. This, unfortunately is typical of Board members at not for profit institutions as a general rule and college radio stations in particular. These guys believe the station is theirs and only their ouster will result in change. I believe that if there had been an agreement to cover the game and only after the broadcasters went out was the game pulled, the entire management of the station should be ousted by the Trustees.

Nonetheless, isn't the game broadcast on the Hofstra station?

Anonymous 

WRHU
12-22-04 10:17 PM - Post#1522    
    In response to

http://www.hofstra.edu/CampusL/WRHU/index_wrhu.cfm

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
12-23-04 01:25 AM - Post#1523    
    In response to

Let's write, again, to everyone who matters. I've written to the board and the sports dept. If no satisfactory answer comes my way, no funds go theirs.

This board's tenure should be up soon and the new members have to be told in clear language how annoyed we are, especially with the following on the donations page: "Your contribution helps to keep us and on the air and transmitting everything you love about WKCR."

BTB, I called one of the numbers and was told by someone (who didn't bother to say I'd reached WKCR and seemed to think it was a personal call) that The Board had, indeed, pulled the game. No explanation.
west coast fan

Anonymous 

12-23-04 04:37 AM - Post#1524    
    In response to internetter

Based on the result of the game, an attitude of thankful supplication to the Wimpy Kings of Classical Rot seems only appropriate.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.354 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:20 PM