Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Here's to Glen Miller        (Topic#3047)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
04-25-06 07:40 PM - Post#19932    

Here's to Glen Miller -- the coach I never really loved, but the same coach I was always glad to have on my side.

I used to cringe at his sideline rantings, with his relentless berating of the refs. I'm sure I'll cringe even more now.

I used to chafe at the way he drove players off the team, with his relentless riding. Now, the Penn guys will do the chafing.

I used to take pleasure at how Miller would outcoach his rivals, reducing any talent gaps by moving the X's and O's. Now, I'll take pleasure in watching Miller drive the Penn fans nuts with his idiosyncracies, his behavior and his manner.

This Penn bunch are pretty good fans -- and they'll hold Miller accountable for everything he does. Their sense of entitlement and their relentless attention to all the minutae, when combined with Miller and who he is and how he acts should provide us Brown fans with some good chuckles... while at the same time, providing us with wistful moments of "ah, Miller. I remember when that guy used to blow a gasket for our side."

I do take some perverse pleasure in the fact that Penn had to go "slumming", reaching all the way down to lowly Brown to poach the coach - which is how at least a few of the Penn fans clearly feel about this.

But ultimately, I was always - always - glad Miller was Brown's coach. He was the guy who turned it all around, the guy who more than anyone else was responsible for the most successful four year period in Brown history. The guy with all the X's and O's in just the right places. Like him or not, he did the job here, and for that, I am grateful we had the chance to have him as our coach.

His leaving now is a kick in the stomach, as the starters he's leaving behind have finally learned his system, and had a real shot under Miller to win the Ivy title in two years.

But I, for one, will root for Miller when he goes to Penn -- which means (shudder) rooting for the Quakers too. I want Miller to be successful, to do well enough at Penn to get the big conference opportunity he's been after since leaving UConn. He got his start at Brown, and I always like seeing Brown guys do well - even if it's well at a rival.

So, here's to Glen Miller - the guy who brought respectability back to Brown. Much congratulations on a well-deserved job offer, and all the best of luck.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

lurkerlurker 

Reg: 04-25-06
Here's to Earl Hunt and Alai Nuualiatia *DELETED*
04-26-06 01:58 AM - Post#19933    
    In response to Bruno

Post deleted by lurkerlurker

BrownAlum 
Freshman

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Here's to Earl Hunt and Alai Nuualiatia
04-26-06 02:09 AM - Post#19934    
    In response to lurkerlurker

I hate to say it but you're way off base on this. Miller did not recruit Hunt but I am pretty sure he recruited Alai when he first got the job and was able to get him in very late. Additionally, as great as those guys were there were several other key contributors on those teams, (Martin, Powers, Kilburn, Forte) who not only were recruited by Miller but who improved every year.

If you think Miller's a traitor that's fine but don't downplay what he did for Brown hoops over the last several years.

lurkerlurker 

Reg: 04-25-06
04-26-06 03:12 AM - Post#19935    
    In response to BrownAlum

Nevermind. This isn't important enough to get in an internet argument about. Let's leave it at this: Here's to Brown's success under Coach Miller, and here's to continued success!

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
Re: Here's to Glen Miller
04-27-06 12:19 PM - Post#19936    
    In response to Bruno

Very classy, Bruno, as I would have expected from you.

I'm concerned about how the Miller era at Penn will turn out, for the reasons you cite above. But I'm also optimistic that he will take us to higher levels than Fran did. And if he does, who knows, he might decide that he likes it in West Philly and stick around for much longer than any of us suspect.

Whatever happens, it will be different and quite interesting for both programs.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

04-27-06 02:33 PM - Post#19937    
    In response to BrownAlum

Actually I think Penn recruited Hunt for Brown. We didn't think he could play for us. A bad call - but we did have Koko, Duane King, Gloger and Tyler Beseker ahead of him on our 2g wish list that year (yes - Koko was recruited as a 6'6 2G)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.016 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:30 AM