Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Bruno's reflection on Penn fans        (Topic#307)
Condor 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
12-24-04 03:12 PM - Post#1559    

Quote:

Of the people I've known personally who have gone to Penn an rooted for Penn, I've found most of them to be a collection of pompous fan freaks who, unlike the fans I know at other Ivies, have never played a team sport before in their lives. I mean - it's remarkable. I'm thinking of 20 or so peers that I know from Penn who are big Quaker boosters -- and all of them, to a man (and, in one case, a woman), talk trash in a way that really, really rubs me the wrong way. It's felt more personal coming from them, in my experience. And to a man, none of them are athletic, and none have played team sports before.

Bruno,

First, I did play a team sport at Penn. While it was not basketball, I recall enjoying the support of any fans, athletes or not. Further, I even enjoyed having rowdy fans from the other team. Nothing was better than to quiet the opposing crowd and earn their respect with good play.

Regardless, I find it troubling that you suggest that Penn fans are somehow unique. I am not surprised that you find them to be pompous. Many fans from winning traditions appear to have that trait. As far as being freaks, well I suppose almost any fan could be described as much. You must admit that being a Brown basketball fan is somewhat anomalous.

Further, you do not need to be an athlete to appreciate the game any more than you need to be an artist to appreciate a painting or a dancer to appreciate dance. Finally, there is no harm in talking trash. It is all in fun.

Hence, I suggest you let go of this unreasonable rage toward the Penn fan, or, at least determine the root cause of this anger.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Bruno's reflection on THE Penn fans HE KNOWS
12-25-04 03:24 PM - Post#1560    
    In response to Condor

"You must admit that being a Brown basketball fan is somewhat anomalous."

Ha! Well, that's a pretty fair point. Nice shot.

Rage? Come on. It's honestly been my experience -- and I would not have posted such a thing (yes, I realized at the time how my post could be perceived) had it not been.

This commentary isn't "people who don't play sports shouldn't be rabid fans". It's been a commentary on the people I've known personally outside of this board... and a guess about where the air of pompousity comes from.

And I'll just reiterate that it wasn't a commentary on the Penn fans on this board, who I don't know. This was the handful of people I knew personally who went to/root for Penn. Other than Glockner... who was a kicker (is that an athlete, though?)
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
Re: Bruno's reflection on THE Penn fans HE KNOWS
12-25-04 04:56 PM - Post#1561    
    In response to Bruno

Bruno, a 100% serious question for you:

Is it possible that the real source of your annoyance at Penn fans as a group is not their actions, but their sheer numbers? I think that it's abundantly clear that far more people truly care about Penn basketball than any of the other Ivy programs, including Princeton. It may even be the case that there are more Penn fans than all of the other schools combined (except Princeton). If I were a fan of one of the non-Ps, this would annoy me.

BTW, I have played (and officiated) team sports.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
12-25-04 09:33 PM - Post#1562    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

AQ - I had no doubt you had a background in athletics in some fashion.

The numbers thing is nothing new to me -- that's something I'm envious of, rather than annoyed by. I grew up in Princeton, and being close to Princeton athletics, I've drooled at the spirit and following of the sports there. If anything, I've said a number of times on the old board how incredible I thought the following of both P's was.

But, having grown up in Princeton, and having worked in the NY/NJ area, I've known a number of Penn alumni. And my comment really is an observation about them -- those who I've known.

When I go to the Palestra to watch Penn-Brown (I've been maybe 6-7 times now), the fan support is just awesome. It's not the macro -- it's been the micro for me. This really isn't a blanket "I don't like Penn fans" statement. Instead, I've been annoyed by most of those who I've known personally with regard to the way they've handled themselves with me.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Condor 
PhD Student

12-26-04 01:33 AM - Post#1563    
    In response to Bruno

Well, I will say that it is good to have an avid Brown fan on the board notwithstanding the occassional Penn bash. We can take it. Have a good Holiday.

seas2k4 
Junior

Re: Bruno's reflection on Penn fans
12-26-04 07:34 PM - Post#1564    
    In response to Condor

Bruno:

Not a flame here, but is saying that most Penn fans aren't/weren't athletes just an observation or supposed to be connected to some other point?

Anyway, your commentary is quite insignificant in the grand scheme, seeing as how your interaction with Penn fans/alumni is limited to a statistically worthless number. It would be a shame if you let your experiences jade you towards all Penn fans, although I could easily see how it could.

-seas

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.381 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:03 PM