Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: priorities        (Topic#3302)
cantab 
Freshman

Loc: c-bridge
Reg: 11-28-04
07-21-06 02:56 PM - Post#21522    

Is anyone else as mystified as I am by Cusworth deciding to play the first semester instead of the second one I realize this means he'll play in 15 games vs. 12, but those 12 games are all Ivy League games. I'd rather have Brian around for the 12 Ivy games than the three extra games against Maine, Colgate, etc.

And I'm surprised Frank is going along with this, with his job possibly riding on this season. He's going to be judged more by his team's Ivy record than its overall record. It just doesn't seem logical.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: priorities-source?
07-21-06 10:23 PM - Post#21523    
    In response to cantab

Where did you read that?
west coast fan

cantab 
Freshman

Loc: c-bridge
Reg: 11-28-04
Re: priorities-source?
07-22-06 01:49 PM - Post#21524    
    In response to internetter

It's been pretty well-documented. This was in the Harvard game notes most of last season:

Moving Up
As second semester begins, Brian Cusworth is now designated as a first-semester senior with two semesters of eligibility remaining. Cusworth will play the first semester next year.

link: http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/harv/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/GameNotes27.pdf

palestra38 
Professor

Re: priorities
11-03-06 01:18 PM - Post#21525    
    In response to cantab

Has anyone gotten a statement from Cusworth as to why he would do this? I can understand if he were going to be graduated and leave school after the first semester, but if he is staying in Cambridge until the end of the year and taking courses the second semester, I cannot understand his decision. Wouldn't he prefer a last chance to play the Ivy schedule and compete for a championship and an NCAA bid? Do we have the facts on this other than the statement that he is going to play the first semester only?

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
11-03-06 03:32 PM - Post#21526    
    In response to palestra38

I think he still has two semesters of basketball eligibility left, but only one semester of academic work to complete his degree requirements. Harvard won't let him hang around and take ballroom dancing in the spring.

palestra38 
Professor

11-03-06 06:04 PM - Post#21527    
    In response to Brian Martin

I know that H-Y-P do this, but I don't quite understand the policy behind it. I completed my undergraduate requirements at Penn in 3 1/2 years, but that didn't mean that I couldn't take a slate of classes---the requirements are the minimum, not the maximum. If I am willing to fork over the tuition and want to take 4 history courses that I never got around to taking, why shouldn't I be allowed to do so? I don't think you have to take it to ballroom dancing, although one might argue there is merit in that too.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
11-03-06 06:47 PM - Post#21528    
    In response to palestra38

That was a Matt Leinart reference:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2143657

A sociology major, Leinart needs two credits to graduate as he begins his fifth year at USC.

"School's done for me -- I'm here to concentrate on football," he said.

Leinart will complete his schooling by taking a class in ballroom dancing with Cameron, a sophomore from Thousand Oaks who plays on USC's women's basketball team.

"We both kind of figured, 'Let's take that.' We'll practice our tango or whatever the heck they do -- the 1-2 step," Leinart said, smiling.

hoopstar 

Reg: 01-31-06
11-04-06 03:25 PM - Post#21529    
    In response to cantab

How did the two Harvard srimmages go?????

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.258 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:05 AM