Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Hoops vs Lacrosse        (Topic#3317)
jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
07-24-06 07:42 PM - Post#21572    

What sport is more important to the future of Loyola College?

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
Loc: Atlanta
Reg: 07-19-06
Re: Hoops vs Lacrosse
07-24-06 07:52 PM - Post#21573    
    In response to jdp 94

Jesus loves me.
I don't give a f--- what the rest of you think.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
07-24-06 07:55 PM - Post#21574    
    In response to Lou

This is a good question too, somewhat separate. I put it as a separate poll. Hope that is ok.

I answered lacrosse. I personally don't care for lax over basketball, and I would love us to be a mini-Duke, but I have seen nothing to indicate that is anything other than a huge long shot. In lacrosse on the other hand we have some tradition, a strong recruiting base, and a chance to be something special.

I simply think we have a better chance of becoming a big fish in that smaller pond than we do becoming a big fish in that ocean. Couple that with the alumni $$$ that lax brings in, as well as the $$$ involved in events such as hosting the final four, and I think lax is more important to our future.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
07-24-06 08:50 PM - Post#21575    
    In response to Lou

i obvs disagree.

what kind of money is lax bringing in and from where?

as I and others have said before, making the men's basketball tourney once every 4 years will do more for the college than being top 10 in lax year in and year out.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
07-25-06 11:14 AM - Post#21576    
    In response to jdp 94

re: lax money, only Marty Kelly knows for sure, of course, but my strong impression is that most of the alums that are members of the LCAC are much more interested in lacrosse than basketball. I have been to the Sellinger Lounge for many basketball games and lacrosse games. Lax games at the lounge are packed... it is an event, with many of the people having their own reserved seats looking out on the field. They watch the game and socialize at halftime.

Basketball is a different story. On a weeknight basketball game chances are the only people in there will be AD employees or their family members. On weekends you probably have 4-5 people in there, but chances are better than not they have wheeled a tv in so they can watch the Maryland game.

Remember that a few years ago the LCAC had Gary Williams as a guest speaker. No one asked our coach a single question about the upcoming season, but they grilled Gary for 30 minutes about his starting PG, etc. The truth is that the people contributing most of the money to the LCAC are lacrosse fans who don't think hoops is that important at Loyola. And if we don't continue to try to improve lacrosse, the school will lose them and most of their money.

As for your other point no question making the tournament once every decade makes it a very big deal. That is our only reference point. Seems to me if we make it once every four years we will raise our level to that of Manhattan, Iona or Siena. I would love to be there, but I don't think that sort of exposure really translates into growth either.
Jesus loves me.

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
07-25-06 01:15 PM - Post#21577    
    In response to Lou

You paint a dire picture of Alumni spoprting interests. Clearly events you attended when LAX was still really good and basketball was in the abyss would back up your statements - but I'm guessing that is different now. I'm comfortable saying that given Loyola Alumni support of the men's basketball teams on the road at Manhattan and Iona. In the past 2 years I've seen them play Iona once and Manhattan twice and all three times we has a visible and audible presence at the games.

Lou 
Masters Student
Lou
07-25-06 02:20 PM - Post#21578    
    In response to jdp 94

I hope you are correct. I think it is going to take a long time before that translates into real money or prestige though.

Patsos for all of his good work has to build a foundation from nothing. Lacrosse if nothing else has a great foundation. I don't mind the school privately committing to basketball as its #1 sport for the future. However I think that if in doing so they de-emphasize lacrosse they will have destroyed a valuable asset that could have been exploited. Or to put another way, they will have Scott Hicks-ed lacrosse for no good reason.
Jesus loves me.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.286 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:59 AM