Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: New NCAA scheduling rule- Bison can play 29 games?        (Topic#3332)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
07-28-06 02:32 PM - Post#21689    

I'm confused. I thought the new NCAA rule allowed a 28-game regular season schedule (assuming no exempt tournaments), plus a conference tournament. However, some teams seem to have 29 games on their 2006-07 schedule, even with no exempt event. For example, see St Francis, who has 18 conference games plus 11 non-conference and clearly no exempt tournaments: http://www.francis.edu/athletics/mbball/mbballschedule.shtm (Others I saw with 29 games and no exempt event include Jacksonville, Manhattan, and E. Kentucky)

Lafayette has 29 games but two are in the exempt pre-season NIT. This fits in with what I thought the new rule was, i.e. 27 games plus one exempt tournament, or else (I thought) 28 games. I can't find an easy-to-understand summary of the final version of the scheduling rule. In the absence of an exempt tournament, does the new rule allow 29 games?

If 29 games are allowed, then with Villanova presumably off of this year's schedule we have room for Xavier, Penn State, and the TBD at home.

Any experts out there on the 2006-07 scheduling rule?

pennhoops 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: New NCAA rule on scheduling?
07-28-06 02:37 PM - Post#21690    
    In response to Bison137

I believe - but am by no means certain - that D-II/D-III games don't count toward the total. The opener vs. Lock Haven would not count toward the 28.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-28-06 02:53 PM - Post#21691    
    In response to pennhoops

Quote:

I believe - but am by no means certain - that D-II/D-III games don't count toward the total. The opener vs. Lock Haven would not count toward the 28.

I'm pretty certain that D2/D3 games do count. They did in the past, except for the "exhibition games", with free admission, before the start of the season.

Also, Manhattan, among others, has 29 games with no D2/D3 games.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
07-28-06 03:02 PM - Post#21692    
    In response to Bison137

I think this is it:
If every team qualifies for the conference tournament, it counts toward the total. If the bottom teams do not qualify for the conference tournament, it does not count. So every team is guaranteed 29 games. In St. Francis' case, only 8 of the 11 NEC teams make the conference tournament, so the tournament does not count.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
07-28-06 03:11 PM - Post#21693    
    In response to Bison137

there was a proposal on the table to expand the regular season to 29 games, but it failed. so far as i am aware, the only thing that did pass was a modified version that made two changes to scheduling protocol: the first game of a postseason conference tournament no longer counts in the 28 game calculation... and exempt preseason tournaments now count as one game on the schedule.

we are obviously missing something, though! well, either that or there are some coaches who didnt pay attention to what legislation actually passed. i know i wouldnt be surprised.
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-28-06 03:13 PM - Post#21694    
    In response to Brian Martin

Quote:

I think this is it:
If every team qualifies for the conference tournament, it counts toward the total. If the bottom teams do not qualify for the conference tournament, it does not count. So every team is guaranteed 29 games. In St. Francis' case, only 8 of the 11 NEC teams make the conference tournament, so the tournament does not count.

That would definitely explain it for St Francis, but not for Manhattan. Assuming the MAAC still plays an 18-game league schedule (which I'm fairly certain they do), then they also play 29 games, and the MAAC definitely still has all 10 teams in its tournament. Manhattan's ooc opponents: wagner, hofstra, princeton, boston u, fordham, memphis, st francis (ny), long beach state, pepperdine, njit (now D1), and the bracketbuster are all D1 teams and no exempt event in sight.
http://gojaspers.com/article.cfm?doc_id=6872

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
07-28-06 03:44 PM - Post#21695    
    In response to Bison137

http://www.bsk.com/archives/infomemo.dbm?StoryID=707

Amendments to the current basketball season restrictions with a primary focus on the start of the season and the counting of multi-team events (many of which have traditionally been conducted immediately prior to or at the beginning of the regular season) were reviewed by the Council and adopted by the Board to become effective for the 2006-07 basketball season (see Proposal No. 2006-14). Specifically, the second Friday in November was established as the first permissible playing date for both regular season and "qualifying" multi-team events and the requirement of NCAA certification of "qualifying" events was eliminated, as was the limitation of participating in such an event only twice in four years. A "qualifying event" must meet certain criteria, including: (1) the event must be sponsored by the NCAA, an active or affiliated member, or a member conference and must take place in the United States or one of its territories; (2) the event may include no more than four contests per institution and must conclude within 14 days after the first contest of the event; (3) participation must be limited by conference to one team per conference annually and by institution to not more than once in the same event in any four-year period; and (4) an institution that participates in such an event shall limit its other regular season contests to a total of 27.

Further, the new legislation exempts conference season-end tournaments from counting toward the maximum number of contests and establishes an annual limit of 29 regular-season games for those institutions that do not participate in a "qualifying" event. Participation in a foreign tour, which must take place during a vacation period and not within 30 days of the beginning of practice in basketball, will not impact a team's opportunity to participate in a "qualifying" multi-team event in the same year. For purposes of applying the new legislation, the "slate is wiped clean" and an institution will begin to apply the regulations regarding participation in a "qualifying" event from August 1, 2006, forward without regard to any participation in events in previous years.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
07-28-06 10:25 PM - Post#21696    
    In response to Brian Martin

Thanks for the info. This apparently confirms that teams which do not play in a so-called qualifying exempt tournament may play 29 regular season games. This apparently means the Bison can play 29 regular season games this year.

The relevant revised NCAA by-law, which I could not find earlier because the published bylaws are only updated annually, says the following:

A member institution shall limit its total regular-season playing schedule with outside competition in basketball during the playing season to one of the following.....

(a) 27 contests (games or scrimmages) and one qualifying regular-season multiple team event per Bylaw 17.5.5.1.1; or

(b) 29 contests (games or scrimmages) during a playing season in which the institution does not participate in a qualifying regular-season multiple team event.

The qualifying regular-season multiple team event follows the definition in the article you cited, saying it is one in which:

(a) The event is sponsored by the NCAA, an active or affiliated member or a member conference of the Association and must take place in the United States or one of its territories;

(b) The event includes no more than four contests per institution and concludes not later than 14 days after the first contest of the event;

(c) Participation is limited, by conference, to one team per conference and, by institution, to not more than once in the same event in any four-year period; and

(d) Each participating institution is using Bylaw 17.5.5.1-(a) as its maximum contest limitation for the playing season in which it participates in the event.

In looking through various links, it appears that part of the confusion is that the NCAA Management Council that looked into this issue originally passed a "base proposal" to allow teams either 28 games or 27 games plus one exempt event. However, they also forwarded an option to the NCAA Board of Directors to further broaden the rule to allow a 29th game. Apparently the Board approved the 29th game later, after everyone had read about the new 28 game limit. This was the April 12, 2006 press release, which was widely publicized and only referenced the addition of the 28th game:

"The NCAA Division I Management Council approved proposals at its April 10 meeting in Savannah, Georgia that would redefine the length of the men's and women's basketball seasons and eliminate the "two-in-four rule."

The Council is forwarding to the Board of Directors options in that regard, which would establish the second Friday in November as the official start date for the season. The Board will review and vote on the Council's decisions April 27.

The base proposal allows for either 27 or 28 regular-season games and the ability to exempt participation in one multiple-team event, such as the NIT Season Tip-Off or the Maui Invitational, once per year. The Management Council pushed for a 29-regular-season game option believing it reduces the differential in the number of games played by teams that do and do not participate in multiple-team events."

Links:

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/lsdbi/LSD...p;p_CallCount=1

https://goomer.ncaa.org/wdbctx/lsdbi/LSD...p;p_CallCount=1

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.389 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:04 PM