Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Brown - Providence        (Topic#338)
Counsellor 

Reg: 11-27-04
01-01-05 02:14 AM - Post#1704    

I see that the YES Network is carrying the game Mon. nite. Any chance of a Brown win ? Providence has been a little inconsistent, but can Brown overcome their "athleticism" for a full 40 minutes ? Anything within 10 points would be a good effort, but knowing Coach Miller he will expect to win.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Brown - Providence
01-01-05 07:47 PM - Post#1705    
    In response to Counsellor

Not sure I agree that Miller expects to win this game. In my experience - and this year has been an anomale - Miller sees this part of the season as 90% prep for the Ivy season, and he's generally liberal with the playing time and the rotation. I think he'll be happy if he gets a good effort out of the team and gets valuable playing experience for some of the young guys.

I'd probably be happy with that too. Providence is very big and very athletic -- two things that are going to be very tough for Brown at PC.

PC is led by Gomes, the undersized forward who plays like a man among boys. Given the size PC has, the 6'7 Gomes actually starts at the 3 (gulp!), while talented (and surprising) 6'9 Kotti plays the 4 and is having a terrific season at 11 and 6. Recently joining the starting lineup is the raw 6'10 Hanke, who is an absolute defensive monster -- he's averaging 2.5 blocks in 13 minutes per game. HE'S AVERAGING 2.5 BLOCKS in 13 MINUTES PER GAME. Holy crap!

Breakout player this year has been Brewington, who, at 6'5 can both hit the three and take it long to the hoop. Brewington is a little sloppy with roughly 3 TOs per game, and so McGrath handles the ball at the point. McGrath isn't much of a penetrator, but he shoots the three very well and moves the ball on offense. Both players are very good ball hawks.

Despite their size, Providence isn't a great rebounding team - and they've let smaller teams outrebound them, contributing to some of their losses. But they shoot the lights out at 47% and are stifiling defensively, allowing only 38% shooting (30% from three).

It will be fun to watch Forte battle their bigger guards - I think Jason's quicker than either of them, and his penetration should allow for some open threes from Huffman and Ruscoe. But this game will probably be won inside, where PJ, MacDonald and Eads will really, really have their work cut out for them. PJ has been more of an offensive and rebounding presence lately, so this will be a nice challenge for him.

I'm assuming Miller's going to go matchup zone, as there isn't anyone who can guard Gomes. If anyone does, it will probably be Ruscoe - which will be another interesting matchup to watch. Another possibility is Manhanga, who is the only Brown player with the bulk to match Gomes. While Sam has seemed to play himself out of the rotation, he's still the purest post presence we have, and I bet Gomes doesn't move him off the blocks too easily.

Either way, I'm very excited to see this game on TV, and am hoping for a good game. Any team that waxed Penn by nearly 40 is going to be a very tall order for Brown. But then again, we've won 5 of 6 and are fresh off our first tournament victory in over 30 years -- so you never know.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

brunocub 

Reg: 01-01-05
01-01-05 07:50 PM - Post#1706    
    In response to Counsellor

With Brown beating 7-1 Florida I think they have a chance at winning.

Anonymous 

01-03-05 03:24 PM - Post#1707    
    In response to brunocub

Quote:

With Brown beating 7-1 Florida I think they have a chance at winning.

That was FCU, not Florida.
I think it's likley that Gomes will be Ruscoe's responsibility, Sam couldn't stay with Gomes on the wing, and defense has never been Sam's strong suit. Luke has been leading the team in minutes and having him in foul trouble would be a major problem; I think we will see a lot of zone. Our backcourt will also have matchup problems, size wise. We will need to shoot well to stay in this one but stranger things have happened.

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Brown - Providence game tracker
01-03-05 03:28 PM - Post#1708    
    In response to

If you don't receive YES and are not a subscriber to Brown radio, try http://brownbears.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/brow-m-baskbl-sched.html and click on gametracker.
west coast fan

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.041 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:06 PM