Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Rutgers board; we should drop Princeton        (Topic#340)
Anonymous 

01-01-05 03:15 PM - Post#1712    

I guess my fellow Rutgers-ians (or whatever I should call them) didn't like being beaten by Princeton. They @#$%& about how the Tigers play "pseudo-basketball."

Phil 
Freshman
Phil
Loc: Princeton
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Rutgers board; we should drop Princeton
01-01-05 07:16 PM - Post#1713    
    In response to

I guess it will get even worse after they were crushed by our alter ego, Air Force?

Anonymous 

Re: Rutgers board; we should drop Princeton
01-01-05 10:50 PM - Post#1714    
    In response to Phil

you've got it! They complain, "we shouldn't play Ivy League, we shouldn't play service academies, we shouldn't play teams west of the Missisippi. . ."

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
They've almost got their wish
01-04-05 04:57 AM - Post#1715    
    In response to

Of not playing.

Anonymous 

Not unprecedented
01-04-05 04:01 PM - Post#1716    
    In response to sparman

This has been Seton Hall's approach to Princeton ever since PJ. Of course, they're willing to play and brutalize Columbia....

Anonymous 

Re: Not unprecedented
01-05-05 12:56 PM - Post#1717    
    In response to

Not just the approach of Seton Hall since PJ, but also of Villanova since Rollie, St. John's since Louie, Temple since Chaney (until this year), Notre Dame since Digger, and, until the last couple of years, Duke since Coach K.

Tiger82 

Why play Princeton?
01-05-05 02:02 PM - Post#1718    
    In response to

I think many top coaches have realized that playing Princeton is useful as a learning experience and brings their team valuable experience in dealing with a patient offense and tenacious team defense. Look at the lack of recent successes by teams that continually duck Princeton: Seton Hall, Nova, Providence, etc. When Rutgers avoided Princeton, they really didn't enjoy much success. As for Chaney, I lost a lot of respect for the coach with his comments about never playing Princeton again. Why would a Hall of Fame coach back away from a challenge?

Kudos to current teams like Duke and a few years back, UNC, for being willing to test their teams against Princeton.

Anonymous 

Re: Why play Princeton?
01-05-05 04:27 PM - Post#1719    
    In response to Tiger82

I have not been able to dig up an online version of Chaney's long-ago statement that he would never play Princeton, but I know others remember it, and I was very surprised that Temple was on the schedule this year. I have to think that the television dollars had something to do with it.

Of course, after this year's game, we all know that he said "I'll be in my grave when Temple plays Princeton again." I expected nothing less from him given his previous statements, but I would expect more from a Hall of Fame coach.

nix23 
goober

Loc: NJ
01-06-05 05:14 PM - Post#1720    
    In response to

I believe the agreement between the two teams was a home and home series, so Temple will play at Jadwin next year. That was told to me by the Temple basketball PR Director over the summer.

Phil 
Freshman
Phil
Loc: Princeton
01-06-05 10:02 PM - Post#1721    
    In response to nix23

Quote:

Joe also said that Temple was scheduled to play at Jadwin next year in his interview following the game at Temple.

Anonymous 

01-10-05 10:46 PM - Post#1722    
    In response to

As a lifelong Philly resident, I'll tell you that if you know Chaney, half of what he says is over-the-top and more for effect than true belief. I would take his comment as his outrageous way of paying a complement to the fundamental soundness of the Princeton team and how hard it is to play Princeton than him actually backing away from a challenge. You only have to look at his non-league schedule for content and location of games to know that Chaney does not back away from many challenges.

Given the 16 A-10 games, 4 Big Five games and annual games against 4-5 national top 25 TV games in non-league games, there are not a lot of open dates on Temple's schedule to fit in local games like Princeton. In fact, try to find a a game on Temple's non-league/non Big 5 schedule that is easier than Princeton - I think you'll have a tough time.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.241 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:47 PM