Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Miller's benching of Forte        (Topic#359)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-04-05 01:18 PM - Post#1831    

I'm ambivalent about Miller's benching. Don't quite know what to make of it.

I understand Miller's perspective. He's very sensitive to Jason's history of outbursts, and he is trying desperately to help make Jason a leader of this very young team. So, when he sees an outburst like Forte's in the second half, he reacts - he's angry - and he also wants to send a message. So Forte joins him on the bench. Message sent, I think.

I respect Miller for doing that. But leaving him on the bench for the rest of the game - a televised game, where Jason can get some exposure, and a cross-town rivalry where Forte had already had an impact - that felt overly punitive. At some point, the message gets lost. You do wonder how much of Miller's reaction is due to personal history and how much of it is due to the crime itself.

From Jason's perspective, while he clearly mouthed off to the ref, it didn't go any further than that. He reacted, got T'd, and that was it. He's got to be frustrated too - he's trying to be the leader of this team, and a slip up lands him on the bench for an extended period.

What do people think?
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Miller and PC on the benching
01-04-05 01:34 PM - Post#1832    
    In response to Bruno

From today's Projo:

Asked later if he regretted holding his leading scorer out so long, Brown coach Glen Miller said, "Not at all. He let his frustration get to him and that can't happen. We weren't playing Brown basketball."

PC's Gomes said he kept looking at Brown's bench for Forte to re-enter the game but it never happened. "I didn't really think about it," said Welsh, "but as a coach, sometimes you have to teach for the long haul. I respect (Miller) for that."
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Condor 
PhD Student

Re: Miller and PC on the benching
01-04-05 03:29 PM - Post#1833    
    In response to Bruno

Based on efficacy, you have to give Miller credit for getting the most out of his players. He has proven himself in the past, and appears to be doing so again this year. I don't think you can separate his personality from his success. Regardless, I find Miller's expectations for player behavior to be at a higher standard than he has for himself. I have to say that based on TV coverage, I didn't see any antics by Miller last night. However, based on past behavior, one couldn't say that he leads by example, which is exactly what he seems to expect from Forte.

Anonymous 

01-04-05 07:31 PM - Post#1834    
    In response to Condor

I think Miller might have been "sending a message" to more that just Forte. Let's remember that this team has only one Senior and one Junior. Notwithstanding his first half stats., Jason wasn't helping getting offensive dicipline established, and that was most painfully obvious during the latter part of the first half when PC opened up a double digit lead. Forte was not going to make a difference in the outcome of this game.

Anonymous 

01-05-05 07:44 PM - Post#1835    
    In response to

Could it be that, recognizing that he wasn't going to win this game, Miller just used this as an easy excuse to get more PT (and TV-time) for all of the newbies on the roster? He knows Forte will be there when the Ivy season starts, and the more minutes he gives his young guys now, the more he can trust them during the Ivy season.

Rob 
maximus

01-16-05 08:07 PM - Post#1836    
    In response to Condor

Coaches work the referees all game long to get the best results for their team. Coaches want their players to control their emotions and not aggravate the officials or draw technicals. The coach will take a technical, in a tactical way, for a reason. Usually it works.

So the notion that the coach should set an example of polite behavior for his players is misguided, to say the least.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.658 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:54 PM