Basketball State Page
Scouting Report
Photo Gallery
Historical Record
Loyola Media
The Greyhound
Baltimore Sun
Baltimore Examiner
Username Post: Good to see...        (Topic#3659)
heyvern 
Sophomore

Reg: 09-13-06
09-13-06 06:43 PM - Post#22438    

Hey guys - I'm following the lead of DMCG and coming to this message board from the ESPN site. We had a pretty good crew posting on a regular basis last season and I think it makes all the sense in the world to consolidate. I'm a '98 grad and sat threw 4 brutal years of Hounds hoops. As a freshman, I was introduced to the "Dogpound" which was being run by SGA and was a mockery of what a college "student section" should be about or behave. A few of us took it over sophmore year and had a blast going to Hounds games and engrossing ourselves in the program eventhough the team, administration and coaching staff were sub-par.

As you guys know, last year was a breathe of fresh air. It was great to watch games on TV (I live in CT) and see Reitz packed with students and decent play on the court. I went to a few games in the area (Fairfield, St. Peter's & Manhattan) and was incredibly impressed with Patsos and his system. His antics on the sidelines are hilarious but they show his commitment to this team and the school. It's certainly a helluva step-up from Ellerbe and the rest of the clowns who Loyola has placed on the sidelines since I graduated.

Anyway, enough of my babble. I'm fired-up to start the chatter about Hounds hoops again. According to a friend (RKelly, who will undoubtedly join this board soon), the schedule is coming out later this week or early next week. He & I are already talking about the Coaches vs. Cancer tourney in November on St. John's campus. Keep the posts coming; glad to see other alums and our man-on-the-street DMCG getting things started. Looking forward to a great year.

Go Green!

jdp 94 
Masters Student
jdp 94
Loc: New York
Reg: 07-20-06
Re: Good to see...
09-14-06 12:28 AM - Post#22439    
    In response to heyvern

we as a group are ready to welcome an infusion of youth to the board... Glad you found us and welcome.

BTW - I'm a NY based alum and will be attending the Coach vs Cancer tourny at Alumni Hall, err Carnasecca Arena...

I keep meaning to contact the alumni chapter to see if they are doing anything around the games. But I fear they will want me to organize it...

MacDog 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-21-06
09-14-06 11:20 AM - Post#22440    
    In response to jdp 94

Good to see you here heyvern. Class of 01 here, I would have been a freshmen or sophomore in the dogpound when you were a senior, with Mike Powell, JRowe, etc. Anyway, please invite all those guys to join us over here, we have a pretty good group to post with without any jerks. Also, I invite you to post on the MAAC board, which is a great board most of the time. I could use some Loyola supporters over there, as right now there are rarely any posts from anyone else on this board. Check it out at:

http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?&f=93

heyvern 
Sophomore

Reg: 09-13-06
09-14-06 02:34 PM - Post#22441    
    In response to heyvern

Nice, I'll check out that MAAC board too.

For Coaches vs. Cancer, I'm almost wondering if the NY Alumni group couldn't combine forces with the Kennel Club. The KC traveled to Manhattan towards the end of last year and did a post-game reception (snacks + beers + soda). It wasn't anything crazy but it certainly showed that there is a growing interest in this program. Most of the KC organizers were older alums (graduated in '70s and '80s) who made the drive-up from Balto that morning so maybe these are the guys who want to lead the charge. Gets you out of organizing too, johnd!

Also, looks like the roster is updated on the web site. Looking forward to seeing the whole schedule. I gotta get to Reitz this year. A few of us DP-ers still have the green wigs, t-shirts and plastic dog bone (that conveniently fit 3 beer cans); gotta dust them off and have a throwback night!

Also, the Fairfield game @ FU is typically early in the season. If it falls on a Friday like it did last year, we can hopefully get a crew together for that game as well. St. Peter's, Manhattan & Iona are also easy to get to from the tri-state area; let's hope they fall on the better days (Thurs-Sun).

rkelly_hounds98 
Junior

Reg: 09-15-06
09-15-06 01:15 PM - Post#22442    
    In response to heyvern

Hey guys, all of these message boards are going to kill me at work. Graduated with heyvern in '98. I am 15 minutes from "Alumni Hall" where the "Red Men" play so I will be attending Coaches v Cancer as well. I emailed Marty Kelly to see if there are any alotted tickets to each school, maybe he will let me know if there is a reception as well.
Should be an interesting season. I am disappointed to see some of the guys transferred (Farrell, Stanbeck and Khaleel). I suspect PT was the reason for Farrell and Stanbeck, which I guess is an improvement from past years tranfers, which left because our program was a joke. I'm still bitter that Reimold left. It's a shame Khaleel left, he looked like he could have been a good player, Vern was he the one at MC that had that monster jam? Stanbeck and Farrell both seemed to take a step back last year. I know this should be in the other thread, just wanted to introduce myself and I am already going off.
DMCG how was Roma? Good to have you back.
Vern I say we try to make Mt. St. Mary's 12/2 Sat., that will be a wild one.
It would be great to get a bunch of alums together for games, maybe we can call it the Euthanasia Pound. I tried to creat the DPAA (Dog Pound Alumni Association) after I left, but interest waned as I was usually the only LC fan in Albany (and lovely Trenton) for the MAAC tournaments year in and year out(Buffalo is just too freakin far).
Alright I'm cutting myself off, talk to you guys later.
"-"

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2007 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.327 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:29 AM