Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Chris Young -- Closing the Loop        (Topic#37)
Anonymous 

11-23-04 01:30 PM - Post#166    

Don't know if this is the appropriate board to post this...I'm still getting used to the new look here...

But just to follow up on a thread from the old board....I read that the Texas Rangers deal with Chris Young is 3 years, $1.5M, with a club option for the 4th year. So while I know Jeff was apoplectic about this deal and the guaranteed aspect of it, I think that the money involved ($500k a year) shows that this isn't nearly the bad business decision Jeff originally made it out to be. It's only about double the major league minimum, I believe. As a Ranger fan that has seen his club spend recklessly over the years, I really don't have a problem with this at all. It certainly isn't as bad as, say, the Rockets signing Matt Maloney to his guaranteed deal a few years back.

BRHPr91 
goober
BRHPr91
Loc: Rochester, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Chris Young -- Closing the Loop
11-23-04 02:34 PM - Post#167    
    In response to

The article is here. One inaccuracy in it is that it says Kings assistant Pete Carril was Young's coach at Princeton. In fact, Carril retired in 1996 and Young did not arrive at Old Nassau until 1998.

$500,000 a year for three years seems somewhat on the low side for someone who should be in the rotation next year. If that's really the deal, then the Rangers got a steal.
The fans may or may not like a lot of passing, but I know they don't like losing. -- Pete Carril

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Chris Young -- Closing the Loop
11-23-04 02:51 PM - Post#168    
    In response to BRHPr91

not really a steal- Young won't be arbitration eligible for a number of years, I believe. So the Rangers are really signing and paying him as an act of good faith. I know Mark Buehrle on the ChiSox was making like $350k per year while winning 15 games until his 4th or 5th year. Unless I am completely missing something, I think the same rules apply here

This is a good deal for both sides. The Rangers are treating Young well, and helping his development by assuring him that he won't be cut at the first sign of injury. That gives Young more of an imputus to care about the long term and self-report injuries, instead of gutting them out so he doesnt get sent down into rehab.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.354 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:37 AM