Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: If you keep banging your head against the table...        (Topic#371)
Anonymous 

Re: Forget Ebede...
01-06-05 06:40 PM - Post#1901    
    In response to Buckeye Quake

Man, I would take the Paul Chambers of his senior year in a minute for this team. I'm not so sure I would want the earlier incarnations, however.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-06-05 07:05 PM - Post#1902    

I agree that Begley is our best spot up shooter. Unfortunately, he's probably the guy best suited to get the ball to the spot up shooter at this point, too. So I agree with you about Chambers (or a spot up shooter -- so long as it's not Graf or Plummer).

The one thing to hope for is that Oz keeps shooting the way he has been. It doesn't have to be the case that one guy is the PG and the other guy the shooter -- in Dunphy's best years, Allen/Maloney and MJ/Langel could do a little of both.

Anyway, I'm kind of in between Asia and Chuck on this issue. I think this team is missing a pure point, but it's not such a flaw with what we've got that we need a Forte type. We definitely could use somebody who could come off the bench, give guys a break, and take some of the ball-handling pressure off of Begs. Why didn't we recruit Scott Greenman?

Anonymous 

01-06-05 08:23 PM - Post#1903    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Asia, I look at the situation a bit differently. I think that the overall situation spills over from one player to the other. For example, when Begley is forced to bring the ball upcourt (particularly in pressure situtions) he uses an awful lot of energy up, plus when the ball is in his hands he's not in a position to work for an open shot that he can make. Because of this, against USF I thought Begs was pressing and that had a lot to do with his shooting.

Moreover, Oz is in a similar or worse position. He's really a 2 or a 3 and having him handle that ball in the halfcourt offense detracts from his ability to get open for jumpers or drive a lane against the zone. His first step isn't quick enough to break to the basket when he's dribbling the ball on the outside. His drives come from getting passes and either shooting or attacking the basket when someone jumps over to cover his outside shot. That's not the same kind of pressure that a real PG puts on a defense. Moreover, Oz doesn't seem to have the kind of court vision that would make him particularly effective when he's handling the ball.

You're right that we 'handled' the press pretty well...but, only in the sense that we didn't turn the ball over. The fact remains that USF went to the full court press a great deal of the time and we rarely made them pay. Remember, a full court press only works well when you can trap someone with two people...which, obviously leaves someone uncovered. A team that can really 'handle' the press takes advantage of that. We just don't have the guys who can do that.

Bottom line is that Penn's been in a 'make do' situation at PG for a long time...

Anonymous 

01-07-05 02:31 AM - Post#1904    

If you think Begley is one dimensional, then you have not seen Penn play over the last few years much. He is one of the best passers in the league and has led the team in assists the past 2 years and usually is the one left with the responsiblity to bring the ball up the court. Copp and Schiffner didn't do it last year and Ibby and Oz don't do it this year. I completely agree that we do not have a true PG, and leads Begley to have to create off the dribble, which is not his strength, but that stems more from Ibby and Oz not being capable of being the true PG, then Begley being one dimensional.

With his quickness, Ibby could be a real threat if he was able to beat his man off the dribble and then set someone else either down low or on the outside up for an open shot, however that is not a part of his game yet. In years past Toole and Schiffner were able to create looks for Begley because they had to be respected from the outside as well, this year Oz seems to be getting it going, but unless Ibby(8 for 40 from three) or someone off the bench starts making shots, people are going to make Begley put it on the floor, out of and in the league.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Missed Opportunities... Redux
01-07-05 03:49 AM - Post#1905    
    In response to Jeff2sf

As much as I agreed with you at the time on King (and still do), I am not prone to the use of the word 'fantastic' to describe posts on the board unless I am using the word literally, as in when the poster is fantasizing...

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.249 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:52 AM