Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Yale Keeps it Going        (Topic#379)
Alexander Goot 

Reg: 11-22-04
01-06-05 03:43 AM - Post#1975    

Hey everyone out there,

I wanted (but neglected to get to a computer today) to post a reminder to everyone that we carried Yale basketball against Fairfield on WYBC tonight, but I hope some of you listened to the action. Yale comes away with what I think is a BIG 60-57 win over Fairfield, a good MAAC team with an NBA prospect (Deng Gai) that has owned Yale for 4 years now. Jones and the guys seemed quite upbeat after the win. I hope I'll have a recap up when I return to my computer tommorow, but for now, just wanted to shout out to the Yale fans on this board and get some discussion going. Between BC beating Uconn after Yale played them very tight, the cable car classic games were both good showings, and now, they come back home and get a nice win against a talented (though certainly inconsistent) Fairfield team. To me, the next two are critical for the Bulldogs. If they can beat American and St. Peter's, both at home, they carry a ton of momentum into the Ivy schedule. Should be a lot of fun. Martin has never looked better, Flato and Gamboa give them a couple solid options at the point (and have taken the floor together much more lately) and Hughes, despite shooting struggles that you hope will fade away, is a constant sparkplug on the floor. We've said it for the last few years, but the only thing that should stop this team from bing in the title hunt will be themselves. Take care everyone, and please be sure to share your thoughts.

YaleEli 
goober

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Reg: 12-07-04
Re: Yale Keeps it Going
01-06-05 06:10 AM - Post#1976    
    In response to Alexander Goot

Great win for the Bulldogs! It seems that our tough non-league schedule will serve us well when we play some of the mid-major teams left on our schedule as well as our Ivy League foes.

I agree with the earlier posting that Yale needs to get as close to .500 ball by the time their Ivy League schedule gets started (which means that they must win the remaining non-league games). Still, a win against a veteran Fairfield team certainly sends a message to the rest of the league that Yale is not going to roll over to anyone remaining on their schedule.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
01-06-05 01:19 PM - Post#1977    
    In response to YaleEli

agree with Alexander about the huge win: this especially has to give the eli's hope against the Cantabs, who dropped one to Fairfield earlier. This is especially important given Harvard's win over Yale at the end of last year. That's the sort of stuff you take with you all offseason.

It seems like Martin has a knack for turning it up against NBA-prospect in-state opponents. I remember last year we were all impressed by how he played Okafor. If he can keep it going through the Ivy season, I really think that Yale has a legit shot at second place.

Anonymous 

01-06-05 02:58 PM - Post#1978    

Even before I read the Register's acount of the game, I reflected that not since 2001-2002 has Yale played as it has over the past several games. Last night's comeback gives sustains my great hopes for the Ivy rotation. Somebody is evidently exerting some leadership. I'm not conceding the crown to PU just yet.
Go Blue!

Anonymous 

01-06-05 04:11 PM - Post#1979    
    In response to

Gotta continue the optimism flowing here. The team just seems to have a confidence it hasn't had since Gamboa and Draughan were freshmen. The addition of Flato as another ball-handler (but not someone who'll eat Gamboa's minutes like Chris Leanza did), has really helped the Bulldogs against the press - something they struggled with last year.

But the BEST thing about this team right now is the rebounding - Hughes is every bit the rebounder Minoff was, and more. Plus Kaplan's got more grit in the paint than Vitelli had his last two seasons (remember how he won the Ivy rebounding title as a sophomore?), and Martin has definitely improved his rebounding efforts.

Stripes 
Freshman
Stripes
Loc: Boston
Reg: 11-21-04
01-07-05 12:13 AM - Post#1980    

Quote:

Martin has never looked better

I don't mean to splash cold water on the optimism (I'm the kind that is all for the league getting stronger), but I really think Martin will be shut down by Wallace. I suspect there is a bit of bad blood between the two of them and given Wallace's defensive play last night against Sheldon Williams, I think Martin will be in for a tough couple of nights.

Of course if there is bad blood, it may go both ways, so maybe I'll be surprised. In any case, that matchup should be fun to watch this year.

YaleEli 
goober

01-07-05 01:57 PM - Post#1981    
    In response to Stripes

Stripes,

I didn't know that Wallace was known for his "stellar" defense during his Princeton career. Personally, I don't think that Wallace's biggest impact will be on defense, but on whether he can stay a consistent offensive threat this year against other Ivy centers. You would have to agree that Wallace has underachieved so far in this season.

Martin has had a statistically better year than Wallace to date. So, yeah, I am looking for some of that "bad blood" to be a part of this year's Yale-Princeton battles.

Anonymous 

01-07-05 02:16 PM - Post#1982    
    In response to YaleEli

Please. Don't bring up defense if you are trying to make a Yale-Princeton or Martin-Wallace argument. Wallace is definitely a much better defender than Martin, and the only reason Yale averages 72 ppg is they increase the number of possessions by giving up so many quick baskets on the other end. As to the stat comparison, Martin averages 16 & 8 in games played in the 70s (Yale) and 80s (opponent), while Wallace averages 14.5 & 6.5 in games played in the 50s. Do the math.

YaleEli 
goober

01-07-05 03:19 PM - Post#1983    
    In response to

So now you want to say that Martin's numbers are simply better because Yale is averaging more points as a team? Martin could just as easily have fewer points and rebounds and another Yale player could be picking up the slack.

Give Martin his just dues on his play thus far (as difficult as it is for you Princetonites who hate to think a player would transfer from a "premier" program such as Princeton to come to little old Yale to play basketball). As I said in my earlier posting, Martin is having a better year statistically than Wallace, case closed. The numbers do not lie. However, individual numbers mean nothing if your team is not ultimately League champs.

Last time I checked the Ivy standings, both Yale and Princeton sit in the same positions.

Anonymous 

01-07-05 03:19 PM - Post#1984    
    In response to

the only reason Yale averages 72 ppg is they increase the number of possessions by giving up so many quick baskets on the other end.

Princeton also squeezes the ball on offense. See the statistics: They've averaged 41 shots per game, while Yale averages 59.

Anonymous 

01-07-05 04:35 PM - Post#1985    
    In response to

Quote:

Princeton also squeezes the ball on offense. See the statistics: They've averaged 41 shots per game, while Yale averages 59.

Which makes Wallace's 14.5 ppg a larger contribution to his team than Martin's 16 ppg.

Anonymous 

01-07-05 04:55 PM - Post#1986    
    In response to

I think a few things are clear here based on all of these posts:

1. Both Wallace and Martin are having nice seasons so far.
2. Both Wallace and Martin are extremely valuable assets to their team.
3. Martin's game was not a fit for the Princeton system and he has flourished outside of it.
4. Princeton folks are still not happy with the circumstances surrounding Martin's departure (maybe they are still a little upset about Martin's awful performances in the two Penn games his freshman year).
5. Princeton folks should be happy that they were able to rid themselves of someone who doesn't fit their system without really losing anything at that position (with Wallace).
6. Non-P fans should realize that because of Princeton's system, the "numbers" for their players will never really match up to the "numbers" of other team's players. That doesn't mean that the non-P players are "better" or "more meaningful to their team." See Sydney Johnson's pedestrian "numbers" a few years back which led to a POY award.
7. It will be fun to watch the two PU-Yale games to see these two go against each other.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
01-07-05 04:56 PM - Post#1987    
    In response to

Wallace is obviously the better player, but lets not get snippy and start disparaging Martin's defense, which is completely respectible.

Princeton won both games against Yale last year: in one Wallace had a monster game (and martin only played 11 minutes). In the other, Wallace put up 9 points on 9 shots, with 6 turnovers.

Obviously its been a year, and things are different, but I think it is reasonable to expect Martin to cancel Wallace out in New Haven.

Anonymous 

01-07-05 05:31 PM - Post#1988    
    In response to light blue heavy

While scintillating, I must say I find this argument a little bit counterproductive. As far as I can tell, what kills Yale against Princeton has little to do with Martin, Wallace, or any other post player, but with GUARD play. Gamboa and Draughan, like so many others that face Princeton, have a bad habit of getting so frustrated on defense that they rush things on offense - which plays directly into Princeton's plans. If they would just steady their pace, and give Martin a chance to contribute on offense - instead of rushing down court to take an awkward jumper - Yale would fare much better, in my humble opinion.

Anonymous 

01-07-05 07:02 PM - Post#1989    
    In response to

I have nothing personal against Martin. I just objected to the suggestion that he is playing better than Wallace. Princeton has done very well without him. It is a shame that he took a year's worth of minutes and intensive coaching instruction that could have gone to Wallace and Stephens, and it was laughable when he justified his transfer by suggesting that he was too good a player to be forced to play the offense. Martin is a good player and obviously benefited from the good coaching he got at Princeton, since he is the only Yale player who is better now than when he was in 2001-02. I think he would be a better all-around player if he had stayed. His last game as a Tiger he had 8 points and 7 assists at Louisville. That is one more assist than he has in 11 games this season.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.306 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:04 PM