Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: OT -- Teevens as football coach?        (Topic#381)
Anonymous 

01-06-05 01:26 PM - Post#1996    

He was a disaster at Stanford. Good luck anyway!

Green Ghost 
goober

Loc: New York, NY
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: OT -- Teevens as football coach?
01-06-05 02:53 PM - Post#1997    
    In response to

The alumni wanted him, and the alumni got what they wanted. He also won two Ivy League titles during his last run as Dartmouth's coach, was a great player at Dartmouth, and was really the only candidate for the job who fit.

The outcry over Furstenberg's letter meant that a D-III coach would not have been acceptable. A hire from D-III would confirm the alumni's fears about the administration's imagined disdain for athletics in general and football in particular. Dartmouth needed a coach with D-I experience.

Of course, most coaches with D-I experience probably wouldn't have touched the Big Green with a ten-yard pole (yes, I know it's feet, but we are talking about football here, so I'm going with yards), thanks to the Furstenberg letter. The only kind of D-I coach who would consider it would be someone with Dartmouth ties. If it wasn't Teevens, I would expect the UNH assistant, Steve Stetson (also an alum), to come in and take the job.

Teevens, though, is the best guy we could possibly get. He has I-A experience (granted, not very GOOD I-A experience, but he has it), and was successful at the I-AA level at Dartmouth and at Maine. The alumni will respect him, and I think this will hush the controversy over the Furstenberg letter enough that the capital campaign should be well taken care of.

-The Ghost
The preceding opinion is my own, and is not necessarily representative of the opinion of anyone else, but it could be, it should be, and it probably is.

Anonymous 

01-06-05 03:31 PM - Post#1998    
    In response to Green Ghost

very reasonable points. One smallthing: the Dartmouth paper reported that one of his problems was an arreest of a running back. Not only do people at Stanford deny this, but so too do Cal people -- and Cal is Stanford's archrival. Apparently the running back was arrested because he didn't respond quickly enough to orders that the police gave in dispelling a party. There is no allegation that the running back was causing trouble at the party, and no one thinks it was one of Teevens' problems at Stanford.

Does the name Steve Gladstone ring a bell? Didn't he either graduate from or coach at Dartmouth? He just gave up the AD's job at Cal-Berkeley to go back to being the crew coach.

Incidenally, what is the Furstenberg letter? thanks.

Anonymous 

01-06-05 06:25 PM - Post#1999    
    In response to

Gladstone was the rowing coach at Brown.

Anonymous 

01-06-05 06:48 PM - Post#2000    
    In response to

Gladstone was a Syracuse grad and very successful Brown and Cal. Crew Coach.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
01-06-05 07:47 PM - Post#2001    
    In response to

very successful doesnt even begin to describe it. In US collegiate rowing circles, he's on the absolute highest level, like a Krzyzewski. His Brown team, during their glory years in the early 90's, were absolutely dominant. I think from 1998-2001 his Cal team lost one race. They served such a challenge that they lured Harvard into the IRA regatta just to race them.

Gladstone was also the Harvard lightweight coach in the 60's and 70's, and a national team coach.

He was also a pretty good AD at Cal: their football team was a joke not too long ago, and I think they finished in the top 10 in the sears cup recently.

Green Ghost 
goober

Loc: New York, NY
The Furstenberg Letter
01-06-05 09:28 PM - Post#2002    
    In response to

It was discussed at a reasonable amount of length earlier - and I'm surprised it hasn't found its way into the Geiger thread on the main board - but "the Furstenberg letter" is a letter written by Karl Furstenberg, Dartmouth's dean of admissions, to Swarthmore president Alfred Bloom in 2000, right after the school had eliminated its football program.

Furstenberg congratulated Bloom on the decision, said other schools would do well to follow Swarthmore's lead, and that "football, and the culture that surrounds it, is antithetical to the academic mission of colleges such as ours."

The letter was delivered into the hands of the Valley News right around the same time that John Lyons was fired as Dartmouth's football coach. Needless to say, the alumni were not happy. A collection of choice reactions can be found here.

Considering that the College is starting a new fundraising campaign, the timing of this leak was not exactly ideal. There were several recorded instances of alums withholding their donations to the College's general fund. Some even sent to Friends Of Dartmouth Football instead.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that this entire mess can be cleaned up by the Teevens hiring, as Teevens was, without a doubt, the best available coach who wouldn't be scared off by the recruiting issues suggested by the Furstenberg letter. This represents a strong commitment to football by the College, which should reassure people who were withholding their donations.

-The Ghost

Anonymous 

Re: The Furstenberg Letter
01-07-05 01:26 PM - Post#2003    
    In response to Green Ghost

For a more accurate and balanced sense of alumni and student response, I'd suggest visiting thedartmouth.com (the student newspaper) rather than dartmouthathletics blogspot that Ghost included in his message. "The D" includes letters from people on both sides of the issue. More importantly, it includes news coverage and commentary from people who actually know something about what goes on in Hanover.

Anonymous 

01-07-05 05:32 PM - Post#2004    
    In response to light blue heavy

Gladstone was also an interim AD at Brown before Roach was hired and turned down an opportunity to become AD. Might say something about being AD in the Ivy's vs. PAC 10.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.337 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:49 AM