Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Football Madness        (Topic#4198)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-04-06 09:09 PM - Post#23940    

I don't usually post about football, but it's quite a milestone to play (much less lose) 3 straight overtime games---an NCAA record! Seriously, it is a major recruiting gaffe to not have a kicker who can dependably make an extra point, not to mention a long snapper and holder. Hard to believe one can lose 3 straight games because of the inability to make a chip shot.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Re: Football Madness
11-04-06 09:55 PM - Post#23941    
    In response to palestra38

I think the Gods are against us this year. In general our long snapper has been good this year and the holder (Matt Reinert) has good hands - but - there's a curse on this group.

The kicker they brought up from Sprint hit the cross bar on his 1st Q FG attempt (from 23 yds no less) and then was knocked out of the game after he converted an XP (concussion). LePisto made his kicks, but never got a chance on the OT FG and XP.

pennhoops 
Postdoc

11-04-06 10:34 PM - Post#23942    
    In response to AsiaSunset

The Yahoo scoreboard is still saying Penn won. http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/scoreboard?&w=10&c=iaa_all

Wasn't Zoch pretty highly regarded coming out of high school?

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
11-05-06 12:00 AM - Post#23943    
    In response to pennhoops

Zoch also had a pretty good year last year. What can you do? The kids head got to him. Why would you even think you'd need a kicker?

As far as Peter, he went to the hospital and has a hyper-extended neck, but will be ok. At least his last kick ever was a nice looking extra point. He was recruited to help the kicking game, but his final game in high school ended in a meaningless all-star game on an extra point as well. An opposing player drilled him and broke his leg, and he hasn't been the same kicker since. Hopefully they bring someone in next year. Our kicking game is usually strong. From Friedenberg to Greathouse to Feinberg to Veldman, we are not used to seeing this. What a shame.

As far as the game, I only have one question of coach Al. Why on 4th and 1 from inside the 10 does he decide to bring out the field goal crew?? The ball was on the far right hash making the kick even more difficult. Princeton hadn't stopped Sandberg all day. I just don't get it.

As far as the Princeton td, I have never seen anything like that before.

I hope all the kids from the line enjoyed themselves. Maybe Penn football got some new fans out of this. It looked like there were more Penn fans than Princeton fans (not that it would be a surprise), and what shame for all of them. But you have to really feel for the players. We deserved this one.

Dmon826 
Masters Student

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 01-15-06
11-05-06 12:24 AM - Post#23944    
    In response to Quakers03

i can say with certainty that all of us who did the line had a great time. speaking for myself, it was the most fun i've ever had at a football game, and that includes being at the game where my iggles won the nfc championship game two years ago.

i just think it'd be a shame to remember this game for our failure to execute on special teams on a day where our fans took over their stadium, where our fans helped will our team back into that game, and where the team gave us everything they had and then some.

as a side note, i'd like to commend everyone in charge of the line this year: it was extremely well-organized, and almost everyone i talked to really enjoyed the experience.

QuakerPTPer 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-31-06
11-05-06 03:16 AM - Post#23945    
    In response to Dmon826

I second Dmon's sentiment. Although very tired by the time I got home, having real fans at the game, not mixed in with "what's a first down" types, helped I think. Definitely the best Penn football game I've attended.

throwitdown 
Freshman

Reg: 02-06-06
11-05-06 07:26 AM - Post#23946    
    In response to QuakerPTPer

Princeton's last TD was #1 on Sportscenter's top 10 plays. Good publicity for Ivies, although not so much for our program.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
11-05-06 03:43 PM - Post#23947    
    In response to throwitdown

Quote:

Princeton's last TD was #1 on Sportscenter's top 10 plays. Good publicity for Ivies, although not so much for our program.

I was hoping they wouldn't have been able to find the tape. It makes my decision to go see the late Borat even smarter. I just couldn't have taken watching that again.

Glad to hear everyone had a good time. So there really were more Penn fans huh? What the hell is wrong with the Princeton fan base? They are an absolute disgrace. They don't travel to the Palestra anymore and to be outnumbered at home in a game like that is a joke. I'd love to hear some of those Princeton folks try and defend this. What is going on?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-05-06 04:03 PM - Post#23948    
    In response to Quakers03

I think Princeton was on break.

ctv1116 

Reg: 02-13-05
11-07-06 08:02 PM - Post#23949    
    In response to Quakers03

Princeton was on fall break--we had quite a turnout for the Harvard game, and we expect to sell out 9 buses to go to New Haven for the Yale game. Also, most of the Princeton fans were on the visiting team's side of the stadium to be on the sunny side, so that would explain the discrepancy.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.011 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:08 AM