Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: big win?        (Topic#423)
oldtimeRudyL 

Reg: 11-22-04
01-13-05 01:53 PM - Post#2295    

Just read the Boston Herald article on the Crimson win over Sacred Heart last night. Did anyone see it? At 1 - 11, Sacred heart's only win is over Army so we know they're awful. Still, the Crimson scored 97 points?

Any eye witnesses?

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: big win?
01-13-05 03:34 PM - Post#2296    
    In response to oldtimeRudyL

I don't know how big a win it is from a proving yourself standpoint, but I think it certainly was great from a confidence standpoint. Harvard is on exam break now, and the thing the team will remember while they practice for the next three weeks will be a fantastic game where the offense was clicking like it hasnt in years: much better than thinking about a dartmouth loss that I'm sure those guys are kicking themselves about.

Being optimistic about your team makes a huge difference in your day-to-day life, and if you think everyone is working hard and having success, I think it sets the stage for a good couple weeks of practice- which will be key going in to the game with Cornell.

I think Harvard is a great counterpoint to a team like Penn. Harvard is meeting or exceeding low expectations, and if they gain a little momentum they will be this year's Columbia, without a doubt. Penn is struggling to meet much, much higher expectations, and I think that's why you're starting to see a little grumbling on that team. They'll be ok once they get off this losing streak, probably this saturday.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
01-13-05 06:22 PM - Post#2297    
    In response to oldtimeRudyL

Very solid performance on offense all evening. Shot 74 percent in the first half. Cusworth had a big night despite being limited by foul trouble and Stehle had another "well-rounded" evening, before fouling out midway through the second half. Had Harvard been able to keep its starters on the floor longer (especially in the front court) the margin of victory might have been 20-25. The free throw shooting was still a liability, and it was exacerbated by the fact that Harvard had 35 attempts on the evening. Also, the team defense left something to be desired, especially in the second half. Sacred Heart is a very athletic team, the type that usually gives Harvard fits, and the Pioneers showed it down the stretch. Harvard's defense had trouble stopping the ball handlers from getting to the basket for easy layups.

The Crimson handled the Sacred Heart press very well. Giovacchini kept cool under pressure and kept the Pioneers from getting the steals they needed on the press to make a run and get back in the game.

Overall, it was an impressive victory, although it might have been more impressive if the game had been stopped after 30 minutes. The final ten minutes felt like they took an hour and Harvard was in cruise control during that span.

Hmax 
Pre-Frosh

Reg: 12-31-04
01-17-05 01:26 PM - Post#2298    
    In response to mrjames

After last year, I think every win is a big win. Because of Sacred Heart's record, this win isn't the biggest momentum/confidence booster. It went they way it should have – winning was good, but loosing would have been devastating. Shooting 74% before the half and passing well can only help the team gong into league play. Also, it was refreshing to watch them look good, play well and maintain a comfortable lead.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.241 seconds.   Total Queries: 18   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:24 AM