Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: David Whitehurst        (Topic#435)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
01-15-05 11:01 AM - Post#2374    

While I think much of the Dunphy discussion on this board is way over the top and doesn't accurately reflect the record, I can't understand why this player "isn't ready" other than the obvious - that being, that he hasn't been given an opportunity.

I've watched a lot of Ivy freshmen on the court this year - for Brown, for Princeton, for Columbia. Whitehurst shot the lights out in high school and on defense he shut down J R Smith (NBA) and Alex Galindo (starting at Louisville). My guess is he can play for Penn - NOW.

With Mike Kach's unexpected departure, it is clear to everyone, except perhaps Coach Dunphy, that we need at least one more perimeter player in the rotation. Today is a perfect opportunity to begin getting Whitehurst comfortable on the court. He needs to play 10 minutes in the 1st half and we need to rotate out the other three perimeter guys giving each some rest. David needs to stay out there regardless. I don't care if he pees in his shorts. And - importantly - I don't care if we lose the game because he's played. We need him contributing as we approach the league schedule.

A lot of us are frustrated. Recruiting is not a problem, nor is the motion offense. The rotation is. We can't screw with this guy's head like we've done with Freidrich. Two minutes of PT is not an opportunity. It's an invitation to fail. We should expect some mistakes in the beginning. He needs to be allowed to play through them.

Put him out there, keep him out there and if he plays poorly, put him back in in the 2nd half. Let's get this issue settled today. We wasted the last two opportunities. Once settled we can worry about the 2nd major problem, the end game. Having rested players in at the end will help, but it's only part of the problem.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.187 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:01 PM