Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Light Blue beats Cornell, 70-61        (Topic#445)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
01-15-05 08:56 PM - Post#2397    

Boswell scores 14, hits 3 of 3 threes; Preston 12 points, 10 RBs, 2 blocks; Loscalzo nets 11, 3 of 4 treys; Barrett gets 8, 5 RBs, 2 blocks as a starter.
Lions hit 53% of FGs overall, 77% of threes.
west coast fan

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Re: Light Blue beats Cornell, 70-61
01-16-05 03:05 AM - Post#2398    
    In response to internetter

Impressions: free throw shooting weak; backup point guard play very weak (Sweet looked intimidated, had 5 TO's in 13 minutes; Tito missed 3 of 4 FT's at end of game and had a 5 second call against him). Defense not great in first half; much better in second. Preston seemed a half step slow on D; maybe not fully back from flu, don't know, but as always, gave 110% and got 10 RB's. Encouraging: Boswell continues great play; in addition to shooting great and hitting 5 of 6 FT's, he grabbed a key defensive RB late in the game by outjumping 3 or 4 guys in same area. Loscalzo continues to show he is a keeper; steady, shoots well. Barrett showing he's much more comfortable playing the 5 rather than the 4. Jumps well enough to play 5 even though only 6'7". Team balance great: Cuff hit two NBA 3's in a row; Montgomery scored 5 pts in row off of 3 and then a nice drive to the bucket. But we're going to have to play better D and protect the ball better. We're not going to shoot 70% of 3's on the road.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
01-16-05 11:49 PM - Post#2399    
    In response to Dr. V

I agree with the prognosis, doc. Montgomery's 5 points were during the 11-1 run, and I thought they were the turning point.

Regarding Gerard, he is quite the athlete, going WAY up on some of the attempted follows, but he really needs to work on his defensive positioning. The guys down low kept on getting beat by Cornell's bigs and needed outside help. Toppert got almost all of his points on kick-outs after the double team, and he was hot.

Basically, though, its good to see the lions take care of business, and control the boards against a MUCH bigger Cornell team. Lions basically outmatched Cornell in the 2-4 positions, which made up for their problems at the 1 and 5. I hope Ben can earn some more playing time soon, because down low is going to be a serious problem against Harvard.

I would not worry about fts's: The number is low because of Tito, and I doubt he will be in at the end of most close games. Other than him and gerard, the team shot really well.

The only thing that stuck me as pretty bad was the press, which was almost completely ineffective. our pgs were outmatched by Dow, who picked their pocket all day, but the scheme didnt seem to be working at all. They couldnt execute a half-court trap for the life of them.

But in general, its a win for a growing team, and I am sure they will improve dramatically as the year progresses.

Penn94 
PhD Student

Loc: Dallas, Texas
01-17-05 01:28 AM - Post#2400    
    In response to light blue heavy

Nice start for the Lions, but one minute for Big Ben? Admittedly, I haven't been following this team too much this year but why do his minutes seem to be dwindling?

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
01-17-05 03:04 PM - Post#2401    
    In response to Penn94

As far as I can tell, Ben just isnt pocking up Jones's game quickly. His offensive game is pretty far from complete, and he doesnt have the same intesity that Land or some of the other guys do (yet).

Ben only got in the game because Gerard and Land were getting beat up down low. I think his minute was right after Land gave a stupid touch foul on Taylor and Jones wanted to sit him down and talk: not sure about that though.

btw- the nypost thinks the lions are 12-4. sounds good to me.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.41 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:48 AM