Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Elis' Struggles to Date and Prognosis        (Topic#453)
YaleEli 
goober

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Reg: 12-07-04
01-17-05 02:34 AM - Post#2438    

It has become extremely difficult to get pumped up for Yale's Ivy League season as it quickly approaches in less than a week. If I had to rate their play to date, I would have to put them towards the middle of the pack of the Ivy League. Here are my thoughts on how Yale can resurrect its "second" season:

1) Offensive Production from Forwards. Yale needs to get more scoring from their forwards. Casey Hughes and Sam Kaplan are certainly rebounding the basketball well through the halfway point of the schedule. However, both have to become more dependable scorers from the paint, as they are apt to disappear in crunch time. Dexter Upshaw should play more because of the energy he brings when inserted into games.

2) Guard Play. The guards (specifically Edwin Draughan and Alex Gamboa) have to assert their will against less experienced guards in the Ivy League. In order for Yale to win the Ivy League Championship, they have to literally play like First Team All Ivy Leaguers. They have not done so to date. There is not enough scoring from the other guards coming off the bench. Eric Flato needs to look for his shot rather than only being a playmaker.

3) Defensive Pride. While it is great that Yale has been scoring more than any other of their Ivy League brethren, they have also been outscored by an average of almost seven (7) points during their first 13 games. As the great Detroit teams of the late-80s illustrated, defense wins championships, not great offensive juggernauts (see football analogy as well -- NE Patriots dominance of Indianapolis today).

4) Bench production. Other than Upshaw and Flato, Yale's bench production has been lacking. Not enough upperclassmen who are ready to step up and become contributors. The freshman don't have an impact guy who gives you confidence to play during crunch time.

I think it may be a long winter in New Haven. I hope I am wrong, but all signs point to another underachieving season in the Ivies. Coming in 3rd or 4th place is probably a "good" season for this crew. The natives are getting restless.

What is the date for pitchers and catchers in Florida? Let's Go Mets!

yuvuphys 

Loc: New Haven, CT
Reg: 12-12-04
Re: Elis' Struggles to Date and Prognosis
01-17-05 03:20 PM - Post#2439    
    In response to YaleEli

I think you're right; it's going to be a long season. I think this team will play up to whomever they're playing and have a chance to beat most teams, but that will leave them in the upper-middle of the pack.

Shot selection, shot selection, shot selection. One fast breaks and the half court set, too often they drive into traffic and try to make a great 1 on 1 play; make the extra pass and get the open shot.

Last night against St. Peter's they were way to soft inside. St. Peter's carved up the interior defense for a while in the 2nd half, and that's what let them win the game.

The guys also need to stay motivated; at times they are just way too sloppy. There were about 3 steals and fast breaks in a row by St. Peter's last night, all due to sloppy passing. They have to rachet up the intensity, keep the offense crisp, and the defense agressive.

Rob 
maximus

Reg: 11-21-04
Still "underachieving"?
02-04-05 02:00 PM - Post#2440    
    In response to yuvuphys

For two and a half seasons, fans on this site have been talking about Yale's team underachieving. I don't think they have underachieved.

I think the loss of McHugh, Hill and Archibong from that very good team took the heart and most of the toughness out of the team's defense. Minoff worked hard at being fiery the last two seasons, but it wasn't near enough.

Second, I think Jones made a big mistake after Gamboa had the great freshman season, by putting Leanza ahead of him.

YaleEli 
goober

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Reg: 12-07-04
Re: Still "underachieving"?
02-05-05 06:28 PM - Post#2441    
    In response to Rob

What would you call it? Playing down to expectations?

Clearly, you are either a Penn or Princeton fan who believes that our program cannot consistently compete for an Ivy title. I beg to differ. James Jones recruits as well as any other coach in the Ivies.

Our talent level the last two years has been good enough to compete for a title. That is my opinion after observing every team in the Ivies in person. Other than Penn and Brown's teams the last three years, Yale has had the most talent in the League.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.43 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:52 AM