Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Username Post: Darryl Shazier        (Topic#4555)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
12-10-06 02:28 AM - Post#25867    

Shazier led his team to a come-from-behind victory last night by netting 26 points and going 7-8 from the FT line in the fourth quarter.

In general his scoring totals may not go up this year because his team has added a talented 6'7" transfer. Last year they had no height, which caused their 4-guard offense to revolve around shooting from long-range.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-00532sy0dec09,0,972319.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Menchville is one of the favorites in the very strong Peninsula District this year and Shazier has been singled out as one of two favorites for the district POY.

bisonfan 
Junior

Reg: 09-03-06
Re: Darryl Shazier
12-11-06 11:56 AM - Post#25868    
    In response to Bison137

I was not able to see the story from the link. If you go to the sports section once you get to the daily press site and search on Darryl Shazier the first story is the recent one. I also looked on the photo gallery and got a peek at him. He is number 10 from Menchville.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
12-11-06 01:10 PM - Post#25869    
    In response to bisonfan

Here's the article - it looks like it will disappear from the site completely in another week.

LATE PUSH NETS WIN

Menchville's boys team uses a big fourth quarter and 26 points from Darryl Shazier to roll past Kecoughtan.

BY JASON JORDAN

December 9, 2006
HAMPTON -- When Menchville guard Darryl Shazier surveyed the court just before the opening tip of the Monarchs' game at Kecoughtan on Friday night, the scenario and personnel were eerily similar.

Without 6-foot-7 forward Marshawn Powell in the starting lineup, the Monarchs would have to rely on their guard play the way they had done all of last season.

"We just had to get through it," Shazier said. "I had to step things up."

In the Monarchs' 61-49 win over Kecoughtan, Shazier scored a game-high 26 points and made key free throws down the stretch.

"We had a couple people out of the starting lineup," Shazier said. "But we got it done. That's what we're trying to work on. If someone's out, the next man has to pick it up."

Powell sat for the entire first quarter. According to Menchville coach Erick Mays, benching Powell "was in the best interest of the team."

But his absence was felt early.

The Warriors jumped ahead 12-8 and outrebounded the Monarchs 12-7 in the first quarter. Warriors big man Ricardo Ratliffe scored five points and grabbed five rebounds, and Menchville shot just 2-of-11 from the field.

Powell checked in with 7 minutes, 9 seconds left in the second quarter, but the Warriors' matchup zone made it hard to get him the ball.

Shazier kept the Monarchs close, draining a 3-pointer with 3:47 left in the quarter to cut the lead to 19-13. Menchville outscored Kecoughtan 7-4 but trailed 23-20 at halftime.

"We struggled against their zone," Mays said. "That was a little shocking with the type of players that we have."

Down 38-36 late in the third quarter, Shazier scored seven straight points to give the Monarchs their first lead of the game.

"I felt like I had to pick it up a little bit until we got him (Powell) into the flow of the game," Shazier said. "I knew that he would get it going soon."

Powell scored eight points and Shazier drained 7-of-8 free throws to lead the Monarchs to a 31-point fourth quarter, ultimately sealing the win.

Off of a Menchville miss in the closing seconds of the game, Conley Taylor led the break and threw the ball off of the backboard to Powell, who threw down a hard slam dunk, just beating the buzzer, for the exclamation point.

Powell ended up with 15 points, eight rebounds and six blocks. Ratliffe turned in a big game for the Warriors with 19 points and 16 rebounds.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
12-11-06 02:19 PM - Post#25870    
    In response to Bison137

Shazier had 14 in the season opener:

MENCHVILLE 82, WARWICK 61

MENCHVILLE (1-0): Conley 24, Shazier 14, Harris 2, Davidson 10, McNeil 6, Hinson 4, Powell 22. Totals 26 27-35 82.

WARWICK (0-1): Grimes 14, Webb 6, Horne 6, Lewis 12, Rankin 17, Wooten 2, Conley 2, White 2. Totals 25 9-20 61.

Menchville 18 17 14 33 - 82

Warwick 12 3 22 24 - 61

3-point goals - Menchville 3 (Davidson 2, Hinson); Warwick 2 (Grimes, Rankin). Total fouls - Menchville 16, Warwick 26. Fouled out - Warwick, Conley, Wooten. Technical - Warwick, Conley.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
12-11-06 02:21 PM - Post#25871    
    In response to KenZ

another article on Menchville (that I can't find on the web to provide a link):

NEWPORT NEWS

Menchville forward Marshawn Powell is making life easier for the Monarchs' perimeter players.

Menchville guards Darryl Shazier and D.J. Hinson never got looks like these.

In the Monarchs' season-opening 82-61 win over Warwick last Friday, Shazier and Hinson were looking at open jump shots, after a year of fighting for decent looks.

"A few times I couldn't believe I was so open," Shazier said. "Last year we had to do everything we could to get a good shot off. This year it's different."

That's because Marshawn Powell, a 6-foot-7 sophomore forward, is on the team this season and is talented enough to command double- and triple-teams near the basket.

Tonight when the Monarchs (1-0, 1-0) head over to Kecoughtan (1-0, 1-0) at 7 p.m., it's a safe bet that Shazier and Hinson, who combined for 18 points in their opener, won't struggle to find open shots.

"I feel like I can add another dimension," said Powell, who had 22 points, 14 rebounds and six blocks in his debut. "But I'm always thinking when I get the ball in the post. I'm thinking that if my teammate spots back up, and they double down on me, I can kick it out for the 3-pointer. If not, I can look for the cutter or I can score. But I love to pass. It's what I do best."

According to Shazier, that's not something that "sounds good."

"Oh, he's definitely a pass-first big man," Shazier said. "He likes to do it because he's good at it. So I know that when he has the ball, I have to keep moving and be watching because there's a good chance I'll get it back."

Menchville coach Erick Mays added: "If there were a fault, it's that sometimes he's too patient. Sometimes we just want him to score because he can. But that's not a bad thing."

Powell, who didn't play last year, says the good thing is that he'll get to play against Kecoughtan's Ricardo Ratliffe, who is coming off of a career-high 39-point performance in the Warriors' 73-52 win over Heritage on Tuesday.

"I love playing against really good players," Powell said. "It makes me better. I'm ready to play now. We want to establish ourselves as the team to beat."

To do that, Shazier said that the game plan every night is to establish Powell and let him open up the outside game.

That's different from last year, when Shazier, Hinson and Conley Taylor took turns firing from the perimeter and driving the lane. Kelvin McNeil came up from the junior-varsity team last year as a necessity, but he was undersized at 6-2.

"God bless the kids that have played for us the last couple of years in the post, but we were just outmanned," Mays said. "Marshawn's providing balance, and that's a big key for us."

Hinson added: "We're just a lot more balanced. It's a new game with him in there. Obviously last year was more just guard play, but this year we've got him to fall back on."

bisonfan 
Junior

12-11-06 02:41 PM - Post#25872    
    In response to KenZ

This article was on rivals.com

December 9, 2006

William Garlick
VirginiaPreps.com Staff Writer

Talk about it in V. I. P. 'Member's Only' Club
You have to wonder if Menchville junior Kelvin McNeil got any sleep this week. His head coach Eric Mays had given him the impossible task of guarding Kecoughtan center Ricardo Ratliffe, who was coming off a career high 39 points in the season opener. McNeil would be making only his second varsity start and would not have his teammate, sophomore phenom Marshawn Powell, to help him out initially.

The match-up between Powell and Ratliffe was highly anticipated, but it would have to wait with Powell stating the game watching from the bench. Ratliffe appeared to be on his way to another career night, scoring the Warriors first five points on a three point basket and a tip-in of a missed shot. Xavier Lee swished in a jumper from just inside the three point line, and Kecoughtan led 12-8 after the first quarter.

Powell made his first appearance with 7:09 remaining in the second quarter, but Lee again stole the spotlight. He blocked a dunk attempt by Menchville all district guard Darryl Shazier, and his three point basket by with 4:09 remaining put Kecoughtan up 19-10-- their largest lead of the night. Shazier would get revenge, and his block and pass to Conley Taylor capped a 5-0 run and reduced the lead to 23-20 to end the first half.

The defensive struggle continued in the third quarter with Menchville tying the score at 25. Shazier kept the Monarchs close scoring seven points in the quarter, but Kecoughtan still led 34-30 after the third quarter.

The game changed dramatically in the fourth quarter and it coincided with Xavier Lee's fourth personal foul. With the Monarchs double teaming Ratliffe; the Warriors inexcusably started launching three point baskets. Darryl Shazier took over as you would expect a senior leader to do. He scored nine straight points, including a three point basket, to put Menchville up 43-38 with 4:50 remaining.

With Kecoughtan now focused on Shazier, the Monarchs rolled out their new weapon…Marshawn Powell. His turnaround jump shot and jumper in the paint gave the Monarchs a five point lead. His spin move and basket wowed the crowd and put the Monarchs up by seven with 1:34 remaining. Shazier then finished the game by putting put on a dribbling exhibition on how to break the full-court press, and the Monarchs held on for a 61-49 victory. "My role is not to score as much as I did last year," said Shazier who finished with 28 points. "But situations like tonight I think I have to step up and make big basket."

Coach Mays was proud of his team's defensive effort, especially the job McNeil did on Ratliffe. "He was our MVP tonight," Mays said of McNeil. "We presented him with a challenge and he stepped up to meet it in a big way." Ratliffe was held scoreless the last 3:22 of the game and he finished with "only" 19 points after scoring 35 in Kecoughtan's win last year against Menchville. "We played good team defense," said McNeil who also added seven points. "We worked real hard in practice and our guards were able to help out."

The Monarchs will try to stay undefeated when they meet the Denbigh Patriots on Tuesday. Kecoughtan hits the road for the first time to face the undefeated Hampton Crabbers.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
12-19-06 12:24 PM - Post#25873    
    In response to bisonfan

game #3

MENCHVILLE (3-0, 3-0 Peninsula District): Taylor 11, Shazier 12, Davidson 3, McNeal 4, Henson 3, Morgan 2, Powell 22. Totals 10 13-17 57.

Denbigh 8 6 22 14 - 50

Menchville 6 20 16 15 - 57

3-point goals - Denbigh 4 (C. Johnson, Williams, Herman); Menchville 4 (Taylor, Shazier 2, Davidson). Total fouls - Denbigh 14, Menchville 9.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
12-19-06 12:25 PM - Post#25874    
    In response to KenZ

game #4: shazier 19 points

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-07073sy0dec16,0,6018596.story?coll=dp-sports-local

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
12-21-06 08:06 PM - Post#25875    
    In response to KenZ

game #5

MENCHVILLE 62, HERITAGE 52

MENCHVILLE (5-0): Taylor 11, Shazier 13, Davidson 18, McNeil 9, Hinson 5, Powell 6. Totals 19 17-22 62.

HERITAGE (0-5): Lee 17, Harris 1, Batten 5, James 2, Coston 4, Walker 2, Battles 6, Turner 15. Totals 18 13-21 52.

Menchville 10 19 20 13 - 62

Heritage 5 22 10 15 - 52

3-point goals - Menchville 7 (Davidson 4, Taylor, Shazier, Hinson); Heritage 3 (Lee 3). Total fouls - Menchville 18, Heritage 20. Fouled out - Lee.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
12-28-06 02:02 PM - Post#25876    
    In response to KenZ

game #6

Darryl Shazier, who led the Monarchs with 20 points from his shooting guard position, noted that the Monarchs' size advantage was critical to his scoring opportunities, too.

"We knew we were going to get the ball into the post as much as we could," Shazier said. "That opened up our outside game and got us going on the perimeter."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-hsbasketball-dec28-2006,0,1240537.story?coll=dp-sports-local

i thought he was going to move over and play primarily at point this year for Menchville. i hope he is getting opportunities to continue to develop those skills this year.

bisonfan 
Junior

12-28-06 06:33 PM - Post#25877    
    In response to KenZ

Here is the daily press article. Couldn't open up from link.

HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL ROUNDUP
Denbigh Classic: Menchville rolls
Menchville dominates a shorter Lafayette team in a regional matchup.
Daily Press
The Menchville boys showed on Wednesday why they are one of the area's most successful basketball teams. In the biggest regional matchup of the day, the Monarchs (6-0) ran all over Lafayette (6-2) 96-69 in first-day action of the Denbigh Holiday Basketball Classic at Denbigh High School.

The differences in the two teams were obvious early on. Lafayette has no player taller than 6-feet, 3-inches, while Menchville has four who stand taller than that. That height differential produced tentative play from the Rams, who struggled to find offensive rhythm. Menchville took advantage of the Rams' cold shooting to race to a 12-0 lead in the first three minutes, and then stretched that margin to 31-12 by the end of the first quarter.

The balanced Monarchs got scoring from seven players in that opening rush, using a sharp transition game and an intimidating defense to pull away. At the midpoint of the third quarter, Menchville's advantage swelled to 68-34, its biggest lead of the contest. From there, the Monarchs largely used reserves to finish off the overmatched Rams.

"I felt like we were a high school team playing in an NBA developmental league game," said Rams coach Tony Clark. "They are as advertised: lots of size, very athletic and very fast. Obviously it humbles you, but the humility could be good for us."

The tallest Monarch, 6-foot, 7-inch Marshawn Powell, kept the Rams in check with five blocked shots. He also led Menchville with nine rebounds, while pumping in 13 points. Brandon Moyler had a gamehigh 29 points for Lafayette, but he and his teammates shot poorly, ever mindful of the imposing presence of Powell in the paint.

Darryl Shazier, who led the Monarchs with 20 points from his shooting guard position, noted that the Monarchs' size advantage was critical to his scoring opportunities, too.

"We knew we were going to get the ball into the post as much as we could," Shazier said. "That opened up our outside game and got us going on the perimeter."

Menchville squares off in tonight's 5:15 p.m. semifinal against Granby.

bisonfan 
Junior

12-28-06 07:05 PM - Post#25878    
    In response to KenZ

Looks like a good game coming up #1 against #2 in a very competitive area of VA.

http://virginiapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=623512

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
12-29-06 02:06 PM - Post#25879    
    In response to bisonfan

Quote:

Looks like a good game coming up #1 against #2 in a very competitive area of VA.

Menchville won the matchup in very convincing fashion 75-55. looks like Shazier is running the offense whether or not he is listed as the point guard:

Shazier led the Monarchs with 22 points and orchestrated the team's half-court offense, creating easy scoring opportunities for Taylor, who contributed 20 points and seven rebounds.

menchville

nice picture of Shazier next to the article.

bisonfan 
Junior

12-29-06 03:09 PM - Post#25880    
    In response to KenZ

another article on the big game:

December 29, 2006

Will Garlick
VirginiaPreps.com Staff Writer

Talk about it in V. I. P. 'Member's Only' Club
Darryl Shazier and Conley Taylor combined for 42 points to lead the # 2 ranked Menchville Monarchs to a surprisingly easy 75-55 victory over the VirginiaPreps # 1 ranked Granby Comets. Spectators filled the Denbigh high school gymnasium to see the matchup between the regions two top teams as rated by VirginiaPreps.

Fans expecting a close game between two evenly matched teams, were probably disappointed with the score in the first half. Ryan Tatum's three pointer from the top of the arc gave Granby their only lead of the night 5-3. Menchville scored the next 14 points, highlighted by two treys from TJ Davidson. The score ballooned to 35-9 with 3:19 left in the second quarter, and the Monarchs had their largest lead. Sophomore Rashawn Powell already had nine points and eight rebounds.

Leading by 19 at the intermission, the Monarchs wanted to keep-up their intensity. Conley Taylor threw an alley-oop pass to Powell, who caught it with one hand from the side of the rim and slammed it down for two points. "It was a designed play," Taylor said. "We wanted to run it in the first half but it wasn't open."

But Powell would pick-up his third foul a few minutes later, and a Granby tried to go inside to get back in the game. With Powell out, Mays went to Kenny Morgan and Joe Miller to try to hold the fort. "We have guys that can battle," he said. "We were confident they would step-up." Granby could not cut into the lead, and a Kelvin McNeil basket put the Monarchs up 52-29 with 2:19 remaining. "We went into a zone when Marshawn went out," said McNeil who finished with 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 blocks. "We made an emphasis to block out."

Granby made a late push, scoring the last seven points of the third to slice the lead to 54-39. A three pointer by Malcom Woodbury, his second of the quarter, reduce the gap even further and the Monarchs were looking at an 11 point lead. Conley Taylor, who finished with 20 points and six rebounds, drove to the basket and converted a layup despite a hard foul. His free throw put the lead back to 14.

The fourth quarter belonged to four year varsity player Darryl Shazier who had 12 of his 22 in the final period. He drove to the basket time after time, either making the layup or going to the free throw line. "[Granby] spread the floor on us," Shazier said. "I saw the opening and took advantage of it."

'We knew we could beat them," Taylor said after the game. "It was a confidence booster." The Monarchs will need that confidence next week when they take on Woodside and Hampton. "We're only thinking about our game tomorrow," Mays said about the Post 368 Championship game. "We played well tonight; we were able to execute and that's what we wanted to do."

Dallas Joyner had 13 points and 7 rebounds for the Comets who will face Landstown in the third place game. Michael Green scored all 13 of his points in the second half and Ryan Tatum finished with 10 points.

Menchville faces Churchland for the tournament championship. Tip-off is set for 6:45.

bisonfan 
Junior

12-31-06 02:25 AM - Post#25881    
    In response to bisonfan

Darryl Shazier led the Monarchs in scoring with 22 points. He scored 20 or more points in all three Menchville wins, earning him the tournament's most outstanding player award. Taylor and center Marshawn Powell joined Shazier on the all-tournament team.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-03-07 08:59 PM - Post#25882    
    In response to Bison137

With a win last night, Shazier's Menchville team continues to be undefeated and #1 in the Peninsula District. After leading the District in scoring last year, Shazier is fourth in scoring this year. Having added a strong post player, Menchville's scoring is more balanced this year. They play the other undefeated team in the district on Friday.

http://www.dailypress.com/media/acrobat/2007-01/27185578.pdf

A trivia question. Bethel, currently in 3rd place in the Peninsula District, was last year's District champs (27-1 record) and sent several players to college programs. Who is their best known hoops alum?

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
01-03-07 10:11 PM - Post#25883    
    In response to Bison137

Allen Iverson? As I recall, he was also a high school football stud.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-03-07 11:46 PM - Post#25884    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Alan Iverson is correct. He was an all-state QB as well as being an all-american hoops player.

Trivia Question #2: Menchville's other big rival is Hampton. In the past, Hampton produced one of the top two-sport athletes in history, an athlete who was the national POY in both football and basketball in the same season. Who was he?

dirtynine 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-01-06
01-04-07 07:32 PM - Post#25885    
    In response to Bison137

just a guess... Michael Vick?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-04-07 07:51 PM - Post#25886    
    In response to dirtynine

That's a good guess - Vick also came from the Peninsula District, as did his brother. However, the answer is Ronald Curry, who now plays wide receiver for the Raiders. He started at both PG and QB at North Carolina.

Curry's accolades are unbelievable:

Football: National POY from Parade, Gatorade, and USA Today; 4-time 1st team all-state QB, 3-time 1st team all-state DB, 3-time 1st team all-state KR; set state record for most passing yards; set state record for most total yards; accounted for 185 TD's rushing, returning, and passing; led his team to three state titles.

Basketball: McDonalds POY; MVP - McDonalds All-Star Game (one assist shy of a triple double); McDonalds Slam Dunk Champ (at 6'2"); 1st team all-american; led his team to one state title. And don't forget he always missed the first month or more of basketball due to their runs to the football championship every year.

Page 1 of 3 ALL123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.582 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:06 PM