Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: A confidence builder        (Topic#46)
Anonymous 

11-24-04 02:57 AM - Post#187    

Would you believe the turning point was Zoller's excuse me 3 off the backboard? That was when the big run started. All of the sudden all of the shots were falling. Four straight 3's by Begley was awesome.

Anonymous 

Re: A confidence builder
11-24-04 03:12 AM - Post#188    
    In response to

Actually the big run started when Penn started running.

25-20 Drexel with 3:50 to go in the first half, Penn goes on 13-0 to end the half, scoring 11 points in the final 2:20.

The Quakers then opened the second half with a 27-8 run over the first 9:44. That's a 40-8 run in 12:04. That ain't the set offense talking. That was pushing the ball, quick, open threes for Begley, Danley running the court for layups, Ibby getting in the lane, etc. A depleted Dexel team (hurt by an injury and foul trouble and playing its first game) was not able to keep up.

The only drawbacks were that the set offense still struggled and Fran again would not clear the bench. Up 27 with 10:16 to go, 28 with 7:32 and 26 with 3:48 to go, Begley, Ibby, Zoller and Danley were still out there with 2:17 to go (when they were replaced by Fikiel, Ebede and Pettinella). Whitehurst, Gill and Majette didn't get in until the the final 45 seconds, up 31. Shockingly, they were able to hold the lead.

Anonymous 

11-24-04 03:24 AM - Post#189    
    In response to

Howard, you've got that right...finally pushed the ball u court. Seemed like a few of the guys just decided they were going to play the game the way they thought would give them a chance to win and not worry too much about Dunphy's reaction.

I can't explain the sub thing...if a 28 point lead with less than 8:00 to go isn't time to let some other kids play...when is????? Ibby looked like he finally broke out of being Dunphyized.

The Willow 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-21-04
11-24-04 04:08 AM - Post#190    
    In response to

I dunno, I was worried about Ibby for the first part of that game- it looked like he was deke-ing himself out of his shoes.

I also don't get what the deal was with Dunph waiting so long to sub- I feel like when our starters are in when we're up by so much they get cocky and sloppy.

Anonymous 

11-24-04 04:24 AM - Post#191    
    In response to The Willow

Not sure they get cocky but they definitely get sloppy. And when Fikiel, Ebede and Pettinella got put back in up 27 with two minutes to go they were already mentally back in the locker room.

wired 
Freshman

11-24-04 04:38 AM - Post#192    
    In response to

Judging from the play-by-play posted with the box score on pennathletics.com, Penn had more rebounds (26) in the second half than Drexel did points (25).

Anonymous 

11-24-04 04:54 AM - Post#193    
    In response to wired

I believe that. Drexel missed 40 shots from the field and a bunch from the line. There were many boards for the taking.

For the most part, Penn's D was solid but the Dragons did look like a team playing their first game. And they shot the ball like Penn did against Wisconsin.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-24-04 05:37 AM - Post#194    
    In response to

I'm not all that troubled by Dunphy's failure to empty the bench. Among the 8 guys in the rotation, I think everybody but Begley needed a confidence boost, and 2 of the guys who needed it most were Ibby and Oz. This team needs to play together and find its identity. I agree that the depth could come into play later, but hopefully we'll have other chances to get them some run. Let's get the ship righted with the guys who will be playing most of the time first. Tonight was a great start. That makes 2 pleasant surprises and 2 devastating disappointments in 4 games. I'll just take a win next week against Bucknell.

Anonymous 

11-24-04 10:00 AM - Post#195    
    In response to SomeGuy

This was a game that we needed but where is Franklin ? Is he hurt or just not good enough to get any playing time?

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

11-24-04 10:14 AM - Post#196    
    In response to

Certainly a good win. On the Internet it sounded like the inverse of the Prov and Wisc games although even during the rough start we seemed to be rebounding well.

Drexel is an undersized team that suffered through the type of nightmare shooting that plagued us the past two games. We still haven't had a "normal game" but it's nicer to win these than lose them.

Howard - Sounded like we were a little sloppy with the ball. Good shooting masks a lot of other problems. If we were losing it in transition that's one thing. It sounded like we threw it away quite a bit in the half court set.

Don't want to get overly critical in a 31 point win, but taking care of the ball needs to be a priority.

palestra38 
Professor

11-24-04 10:47 AM - Post#197    
    In response to

I heard that Franklin is redshirting this year....I do not know of the injury involved....anyone care to confirm this?

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

11-24-04 10:50 AM - Post#198    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Aparently Franklin is red-shirting this year (they may not be calling it a redshirt but thats basically what it is) so he'll have two more years of eligibility left.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
11-24-04 07:10 PM - Post#199    
    In response to

I could not agree with you more Howard. It was painfully obvious early on last night that this team does not have the outside shooting necessary to run the set half court offense very successfully. That lack of shooting enabled the defense to collapse in on the post, which more often than not ended in a turnover from one of our big guys.

It was not until Zoller was inserted that a spark was lit, and the guys really started pushing the ball up the court. This resulted in easy looks for our guys on both the inside and the outside. I love it when Begley trails the break and gets that wide open look from 3 at the top of the key. I think 3 of his long distance shots came in that fashion.

When Penn started pushing the ball and taking the early good looks at the basket, good things happened. I think this could be even more effective if Fran could have gotten the bench more involved. I only hope Fran realizes this as well...

-Mike

Quote:

Actually the big run started when Penn started running.

25-20 Drexel with 3:50 to go in the first half, Penn goes on 13-0 to end the half, scoring 11 points in the final 2:20.

The Quakers then opened the second half with a 27-8 run over the first 9:44. That's a 40-8 run in 12:04. That ain't the set offense talking. That was pushing the ball, quick, open threes for Begley, Danley running the court for layups, Ibby getting in the lane, etc. A depleted Dexel team (hurt by an injury and foul trouble and playing its first game) was not able to keep up.

The only drawbacks were that the set offense still struggled and Fran again would not clear the bench. Up 27 with 10:16 to go, 28 with 7:32 and 26 with 3:48 to go, Begley, Ibby, Zoller and Danley were still out there with 2:17 to go (when they were replaced by Fikiel, Ebede and Pettinella). Whitehurst, Gill and Majette didn't get in until the the final 45 seconds, up 31. Shockingly, they were able to hold the lead.

Anonymous 

Wanna bet?
11-24-04 08:28 PM - Post#200    
    In response to Mike Porter

Quote:

When Penn started pushing the ball and taking the early good looks at the basket, good things happened. I think this could be even more effective if Fran could have gotten the bench more involved. I only hope Fran realizes this as well...

Fran will try to bang a square peg into a round hole until it's sawdust. Once Zoller got in last night the guys stopped paying attention to what Dunphy 'wanted' and started playing in a way that actually gave them a chance of winning.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Wanna bet?
11-25-04 01:38 AM - Post#201    
    In response to

I wouldn't be too tough on Dunphy about this -- he didn't exactly discourage it in his postgame comments. He gave the guys all the credit, and readily acknowledged that pushing it worked.

I only have one concern about pushing it and taking the first open look we see, and I can summarize it in two words: Lamar Plummer.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Re: Wanna bet?
11-25-04 02:37 AM - Post#202    
    In response to SomeGuy

But that was due primarily to Plummer and Klatsky's defensive problems when early shots went up without rebounders in position. The two of them were too small to contest the long rebounds off Lamar's misses, a liability that also prevented them from contesting shots in transition after the other team broke off the long ones. Plus they weren't quick enough laterally to stop the ball on the dribble, either. It was a weak defense trifecta, squared!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.134 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:17 AM