Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Taking Stock        (Topic#4652)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-26-06 06:44 PM - Post#26532    

A post like this almost inevitably invites bad performances, but I'm curious how people feel about these Bears and Robinson's performance so far this season.

Given the schedule (as Jake points out, the 2nd toughest in the league so far), and the fact that they really had only two bad losses (Northwestern, which was understandable, and Navy), I'm pretty pleased with where this team is - particularly when you consider the fact that there's no Jeppesen, and MacDonald, Skrelja and Huffman have all missed significant time. I mean, there's four of your projected five starters right there, all having missed roughly half of the team's games.

I also like seeing that this team can put up points. Putting up 80 plus, for a team in the first year of running the Princeton offense, is impressive, and they've done it twice in 11 games. It gives me some comfort that they'll be able to run it more in the mold of JTIII.

What's also apparent is that this team should be able to play with anybody. Beating Providence - a top 50 team - on the road, and the way they hung with MSU shows that the style helps minimize the talent differences.

I'm not sure how much that holds true for league play, however. Not surprisingly, Ivy teams seem to be at less of a disadvantage defending the Princeton offense than non-conference teams do. So, I really don't know what to think about the Ivy season.

But overall, I'd have to say I'm pretty happy where this team is right now, all things considered.

Thoughts?
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

CUAlum2001 
Freshman

Reg: 11-29-06
Re: Taking Stock
12-26-06 11:22 PM - Post#26533    
    In response to Bruno

If you'll allow an outsider's objective view, Brown seems to be a little improved this year in non-conference. It's true that your starters lost a little time early, so the record doesn't really tell the whole story.

Brown has been very competitive, but I haven't seen the kind of play that will get them to the next level this year, at least in the Ivies. The real question is, can the team play on all cylinders on back to back nights? In many ways, I see Brown and Cornell as fairly equal - they have played many competitive games, and have lost a few more than they've won. The only difference I see is that Cornell has a little more off the bench.

Overall, I think Brown should be competitive in the Ivies - I think it will be fun to watch Brown, Cornell, and Columbia this year in league play in particular from what I have followed so far.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-27-06 05:00 PM - Post#26534    
    In response to CUAlum2001

I'm not ready to predict we will chalange Penn for the title, but I don't think the top half is out of the question.

The team, particularly McAndrew and Huffman, have taken to the change of style. With Becker's leadership the team defense is much improved. Eads seems to have found his spot and is becoming a contributor. Manhanga seems more comfortable and getting increased minutes. Friske has been less effective offensively but I don't really that's due to any change of style and we know the tallent is there. Of the freshmen, Gurber and Mullary have contributed quality minutes.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the degree of reliance on outside shooting, hopefully the return of Skrelja and MacDonald will result in more balance inside and free up Friske.

Robinson's style has not been to take the air out of the ball, but Brown can control the tempo when faced with Big Ten/Big East level talent. I'm encouraged.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
12-28-06 02:01 AM - Post#26535    
    In response to Old Bear

I'm encouraged too. And I'm also not thrilled with the degree of reliance on outside shooting. But, I think that comes with the territory.

I'm hopeful that MacDonald and Skrelja will give them more of an inside presence, but MacDonald's never shown himself to be real effective back-to-the-basket, and Skrelja's more of a slashing and outside player. I think it's going to take some doing to get more scoring inside, but I'm not sure that's even a part of the gameplan. Was it under JTIII? Weren't most of Wallace's buckets from the perimeter?
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.012 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:53 PM