Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Television replay of Penn vs. Lafayette        (Topic#474)
Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Reg: 11-21-04
01-20-05 04:45 AM - Post#2501    

The Penn vs. Lafayette game will be rebroadcast at noon on Thursday January 20, on Empire Sports, DirecTV channel 626.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
Or Not ...
01-20-05 04:14 PM - Post#2502    
    In response to Stuart Suss

So much for schedules. It appears that all previously listed Empire Sports Network programming for the next two days - including the Penn-Lafayette replay - has been magically replaced by endless replays of the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame banquet.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
The 2-pointer turned 3
01-20-05 04:23 PM - Post#2503    
    In response to Chip Bayers

If it's on, I want people to take a look at what happened with the officials and the 2-pointer turned 3. If Penn had lost this game by a point, I would have absolutely lost it.

I'm not sure if it has been discussed here, but in the first half one of the Lafayette players hit a shot that was ruled a 2. It was very close, but after the next tv timeout, the announcers came back and spot shadowed the player and his foot. They (that moron Feinstein and the play by play guy) boldly claimed that it should have been a 3-pointer and that his foot was WELL behind the line. Even on the replay they were showing, it was VERY close and certainly not worthy of the bold claim being made. Then, 4 plays or so later (that means this was about 8 plays after the original call), the officials stopped the game and came over to the announcers tv to take another look at the replay. Obviously they came over because of the TV guys and their comments (I don't know if they mentioned something to O'Hanlon), but they then looked at a few replays. NOTHING was conclusive and the last replay they showed made it look like his foot WAS on the line. The reffs obviously were swayed by the tv commentators, and even though they hesitated, they still overruled it and changed the shot to a 3. How the hell can this happen???? After the officials left, the announcers commented that they guess it was a little closer than they thought and in fact, could have been a 2. How a reff can make a decision based on TV commentators is beyond me. It was an absolute joke.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Re: Or Not ...
01-20-05 05:10 PM - Post#2504    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I relied on the schedule information that was provided. I am sorry if any of you set your VCRs or DVRs unnecessarily.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

01-20-05 05:36 PM - Post#2505    
    In response to Stuart Suss

For those of you that can't get the game, we're leading.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

01-20-05 06:11 PM - Post#2506    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Are the subs getting any minutes? How's Ibby's shot look?

omegahouse 
Freshman
omegahouse
Reg: 12-06-04
Re: The 2-pointer turned 3
01-20-05 06:13 PM - Post#2507    
    In response to Quakers03

I taped the game and, after watching the game (in person) looked at the tape. The 2point/3point issue was certainly not clear cut. Feinstein's explanation, while long-winded, was (I believe) correct: a ref may review an in-game tv replay to determine if a call (as to a 2 or 3 point shot, or a shot clock, or game clock issue) was accurate. That said, the only thing more boorish than the chest-thumping by Feinman after the call reversal was every other thing Feinman said----what a blovian, and a self important one, at that. Someone should tell him to stick to colour announcing, and stop the self promotion................

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
01-20-05 07:03 PM - Post#2508    
    In response to omegahouse

Quote:

I taped the game and, after watching the game (in person) looked at the tape. The 2point/3point issue was certainly not clear cut. Feinstein's explanation, while long-winded, was (I believe) correct: a ref may review an in-game tv replay to determine if a call (as to a 2 or 3 point shot, or a shot clock, or game clock issue) was accurate. That said, the only thing more boorish than the chest-thumping by Feinman after the call reversal was every other thing Feinman said----what a blovian, and a self important one, at that. Someone should tell him to stick to colour announcing, and stop the self promotion................

I just cannot believe that the comments from announcers ultimately got the score changed. They obviously made a stink about it (enought for the officials to get wind of it) because how else would the reff's have known to go back over and look? You could tell that when reviewing the play, the reffs weren't sure, yet they STILL made the change. Doesn't it have to be irrefutible evidence? Thankfully we blew them out.

The Willow 
Masters Student

01-22-05 05:21 AM - Post#2509    
    In response to Quakers03

so... for people with it on tape... Clear me up. Were the falls-called-travels in any way shape or form different from the falls-not-called-travels? Cause if there is, can someone explain it to me? (not completely sarcastic- also trying to learn)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.779 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:46 AM