Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Another meltdown?        (Topic#478)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
01-21-05 02:18 PM - Post#2548    

The last four games against Brown, Yale was supposed to win.

After a terrific 01-02 campaign, they came into 02-03, and then 03-04, as "the team that could get it done". And in both years, they lost their first two Ivy games to a Brown team they were supposed to beat. And then they were done.

It's not lost on me how important these early season games are to Yale. In each case, Brown has derailed Yale's title hopes even before they got started. If I'm Yale, THIS is the game I've been waiting for since last season, and THIS is the game I get up for. Not Princeton. Not Penn. Those games are meaningless if I can't beat Brown.

If his reaction at the end of last year's home game on YES was any indication, Alex Gamboa definitely understood this. As he walked to the bench late in the game - a game in which Forte exploded on him - he looked like he was going to kill somebody. And with good reason.

And here we are, once again, with a game that Yale, playing at home, is supposed to win. Brown's played well in stretches this season, and returns arguably the league's best player in Forte and a definite second teamer in Ruscoe - but the rest of them are freshmen and sophomores who are still getting comfortable at this level. They're talented, but almost most of them have yet to play a single Ivy game minute.

Will they finally do it?
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Another meltdown?
01-21-05 03:41 PM - Post#2549    
    In response to Bruno

I dunno. I think this could be something of a trap for Brown.

They're depending on young players, and this will be the freshmen'sfirst experience with league play. The place should be packed, it will be loud, and I would not be surprised if the Brown kids are a little overwhelmed.

If Forte can calm everyone down and remain a steadying force, I think that Brown can definately win this game. They seem to have owned Yale recently, and I dont know if there is a better in-game coach than Miller. But I almost always like experience over potential. This is a tough pick, but I think, if you held a gun to my head, I go with Yale at home.

On a related note, I'm glad to see Brown-Yale getting its series split, so it has a final game like Penn-Princeton does. I think these guys have proven over the last four years that they are both forces in the league, and they deserve the honor (and I do think it's an honor) of having the schedule altered to reflect their potential impact on the league championship.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
01-21-05 06:22 PM - Post#2550    
    In response to light blue heavy

Brown has to be considered a long shot threat for the title while Yale, at this point at least, thinks they are a legitamate contender. That puts a lot more pressure on Yale, while Brown should be loose. Sould be fun. I think Columbia is also somewhat under the gun; a split with Cornell would tie their knickers in a knot. Great opening weekend!

brownbruin 
Freshman

Loc: Connecticut
01-21-05 09:19 PM - Post#2551    
    In response to Bruno

I'm planning on attending the game, weather permitting. I think the key to the game could be Dominick Martin. I have concerns as to whether PJ or anyone else on Brown is strong enough to defend him down low. What do you guys think? Any word on the state of Huffman's ankle? I do think that a fast-paced, non-transition game will work to Brown's favor, given Yale's thin bench, so I hope Miller has his boys in track shoes tomorrow night.

YaleEli 
goober

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Reg: 12-07-04
01-21-05 11:42 PM - Post#2552    
    In response to brownbruin

Well, since this is the Yale Board, I think it would be appropriate to add my thoughts to what is fast becoming a heated rivalry in the Ivy League BB between Yale and Brown.

I like the match-ups against Brown. However, I've liked the match-ups over the last three years, and look at the outcome. However, this is a different Brown team with less firepower than previous teams.

Listen, Yale cannot afford to lose this game to Brown since they are going on the road for the next two weekends. A loss would be devastating and probably start a trip down to the bottom of the Ivy League.

I think Gamboa, Martin and Draughan are going to step up big time during Ivy League play. Yale has played the toughest non-conference schedule of any team in the Ivy League this year. This fact will serve them well in crunch time. While expectations are still high in New Haven, there really is no pressure on this team -- given their current record of 4-9.

We are not happy with this record, but I think our talent will overcome Brown's youthful exuberance (and Forte's usual great play).

Put me down for a win by Yale.

Alexander Goot 

01-22-05 12:01 AM - Post#2553    
    In response to Bruno

In the name of selfish promotion....

There is no doubt that Bruno is right, and Yale realizes the importance of the game tommorow night, and they said as much when I talked to Gamboa and Draughan this week. Some of their thoughts, as well of those of Coach Jones, are included in my notebook column available in the Yale section as premium content. (Not a premium subscriber yet? Well what the heck are you waiting for? ) /advertisement

Anyways, I don't think it is a stretch to call this game a must win for the Elis. With the Penn/Princeton trip looming, Yale has to win at home, and hope to steal one on the road. I feel like I can't talk about this game without sounding like a broken record from the last 2 seasons. Yes, Yale has the talent. Yes, they should probably be the favorite on their home floor. Yes, there is no reason why they shouldn't come out with the necessary energy. Will it happen this time? Well, that's why they play the games.

One thing I'll say though, even though some people might view Brown as "down" given their graduation losses, I still count them as a VERY dangerous team, and an Ivy-Title contender, if only because of the fact that Miller's teams always seem to hit that extra gear when Ivy play comes around, and I don't expect this year to be any different. I expect the same kind of close, hard fought game that these teams have played in the past, and I don't think anyone should be dissapointed if the Bulldogs eek out a close game. Brown will still be very tough, and a win is a win.

That said, if Yale goes down, and the Brown jinx continues, it's gonna be real tough for the team to stay optimistic. I don't think it is a stretch to call this Yale's biggest game in the last 2.5 seasons. The snow will be falling in New Haven, so come on out to Payne Whitney, or, if you can't make it out, be sure to tune in on WYBC-AM and read the basketball-u update here on the site after the game. Ciao!

Evin 
Freshman

01-22-05 04:41 PM - Post#2554    
    In response to Alexander Goot

Yale wins this one by 11
Wire to wire

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.487 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:41 AM