Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: A truly alarming statistic        (Topic#49)
pennhoops 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
11-24-04 04:02 AM - Post#213    

81 points, but only six players scored. Six of 13 who got into the game for Penn scratched. That's not the kind of distribution you want - in a 31 point win, no less. A win's always nice but this doesn't look as tonic as the score indicates.

Warrior 

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 11-22-04
Re: A truly alarming statistic
11-24-04 02:26 PM - Post#214    
    In response to pennhoops

Box score doesn't tell the whole story in this regard... other than Osmundson, all the players who actually played scored. That is, it wasn't so much a problem with point distribution, the problem (especially in a blowout win) was PT distribution...

palestra38 
Professor

11-24-04 03:02 PM - Post#215    
    In response to Warrior

Actually, how many games are there when 4 players have 13 or more points? Zoller, Danley, Begley and Ibby all played exceptionally well after the first few minutes of the game. Fikiel and Pettinella were rotated through at least 3 times each and the front court of Drexel was completely worn down or in foul trouble. Those two contributed without scoring a lot.

Warrior 

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 11-22-04
11-24-04 03:37 PM - Post#216    
    In response to palestra38

Oh I agree. Solid game. Can't really complain about a blowout win in a game that I think a lot of people were REALLY scared about losing.

My point was that the lack of bench scoring wasn't attributable to the bench players, but more to Dunph and his rotation.

PS: Yeah I guess Zoller is a bench player.

PPS: Not for long? Please?

Anonymous 

11-24-04 04:00 PM - Post#217    
    In response to palestra38

In the second half, Pettinella was rotated through five times - almost all of them on the defensive end for Danley (which is ironic since Danley seems the better defender and wasn't in foul trouble).

These were Ryan's 2nd half playing stints:
Up 18 - 4 seconds.
Up 19 - 38 seconds.
Up 25 - 16 seconds.
Up 27 - 39 seconds.
Up 27 - 1:18 at the end of the game.

Danley played very well last night so I'm not even arguing that Ryan should have played more than his listed 11 minutes, but it's hard to get efficient in the offense if you don't play on the offensive end. And it's impossible to get any kind of rhythm if you're playing 30 seconds at a time.

palestra38 
Professor

11-24-04 04:09 PM - Post#218    
    In response to

When you commit a foul each time you're in and you're in 4 times for short periods, you get in foul trouble quickly. Ryan banged his way though and helped get Brooks in desperate exhaustion. The 3 headed center worked well last night. I too would like to see Ryan relax and play his game.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.128 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:47 AM