Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn Report Card...A Star is Reborn        (Topic#50)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-24-04 04:06 AM - Post#219    

Suffice it to say that with Penn struggling to stay close to Drexel in the first half, looking generally lost, it appeared to be a very long season ahead. Then, Mark Zoller entered the game and immediately, the tempo changed. Zoller got to every loose ball, got the rebounds Fikiel didn't make and gave the Quakers a threat they didn't have to pair up with Begley. Late in the first half, Zoller hit a couple of shots, including a prayer "3" off glass followed by another sweet one. All of a sudden, Begley wasn't constantly doubled and he hit three in a row. Before you knew it, Penn had rolled off a 13-1 run to end the half and followed it with another 11 to start the second half for an incredible 24-1 run against a team many think will contend for the CAA title. With Zoller and Begley hitting everything, Danley got loose inside and was repeatedly fouled, hitting every foul shot. Dunphy's rotation was incredible, playing so many players that Drexel was totally gassed early in the second half and they were done. Quite the pleasant surprise---Penn's rough week seems to be a learning experience. Still to be seen--what happens in a close game.

The Grades:

Zoller- A+. He scored 22 and was the difference---a threat from outside, inside, and for every loose ball. He freed up Begley and destroyed the Dragons.

Begley--A+. Also scored 22 and once he wasn't double teamed was unstoppable.

Danley--A. When did this guy learn to shoot fouls like this?

Ibby--B. Terrible start, but then really came on strong in the second half. Got his confidence and I look forward to his next few games.

The Field---B-. Some really rough play early on, but just about everyone scored in extended garbage time. Great "3" by Ebede.

The Coach---A. Great job holding down the fort when it looked bleak and then a substitution job that had Drexel sucking wind the entire second half. This is one deep deep team---he has to use it and did tonight.

Anonymous 

Re: Penn Report Card...A Star is Reborn
11-24-04 04:50 AM - Post#220    
    In response to palestra38

One deep team, eh?

I agree it is, but you didn't see that tonight. Only six players scored and Ebede and Kach hit their hoops in the final two minutes.

And that rotation? Of the first 38 minutes, Begley played 36 of them, Ibby played 34, Zoller 32 (and that's after sitting for the first 5), Oz played 29 and Danley played 27.

That's in a 31 point win that was never closer than 20 in the final 10 minutes.

Since the team has struggled and has been seeking cohesion it's not necessarily a bad thing that a core got to play a lot together, but the depth is going to be important as the season wears on and the team doesn't shoot 11-14 from three.

One other point: I say this with great affection for the late Bob Jacobs, but if ever a game showed the silliness of the turnover stat this was it. Drexel had 12 assists and 11 TOs. Penn had 19 assists and TWENTY-TWO TOs, including 7 by Begley, 6 by Ibby and 4 by Oz.

And for all the stomping Bruiser did on the sidelines about the refs, Penn was whistled for one more foul than the Dragons and Drexel shot 9 more FTs.

seas2k4 
Junior

11-24-04 05:23 AM - Post#221    

Agreed on your assesment, P38. Watching on tv, the crowd also looked like it was much more of a factor than in the Q game... always nice to see.

One person whose development I am somewhat worried about is Ryan Pettinella. He provided a great spark and some energy last season, but this year just looks tentative and out of the loop. Any thoughts?

Great job tonight by Begs and Mark... hopefully we can keep this momentum going and get a couple more wins heading in to December break.

-seas

palestra38 
Professor

11-24-04 10:45 AM - Post#222    
    In response to

You are correct that based on pure minutes, Penn played 6 players the majority of the game. However, since it was a blowout by 5 minutes into the second half, that is more of the same point as in the Quinnipiac game, i.e., Dunphy is still too paranoid to go to the deep bench until the other team is mathematically eliminated rather than when it clearly is over. Penn threw 3 centers at Brooks until he was absolutely done---bent over in exhaustion and pain at the END OF THE FIRST HALF. In the second half, it almost looked as if Bruiser was punishing Brooks for not being in prime game shape and he left he in with nothing in the tank until he either hurt his knee or pretended to be hurt so he could come out of the game. This was the strategy that would have beaten Drexel 2 years ago when Battle singlehandedly killed U and the Quakers.

As for the turnovers----that is really a situational stat---I would wager that at least 10 of the turnovers occurred in the first 8 minutes of the game. Penn's ability to stay in the game when playing at such a poor level was the key to this game....along with finding a second scorer that prevented Drexel from doubling Begley.

light blue heavy 
maximus
light blue heavy
Reg: 11-22-04
11-24-04 01:18 PM - Post#223    

Quote:

Penn played 6 players the majority of the game

no wonder they won by so much!

palestra38 
Professor

11-24-04 01:27 PM - Post#224    
    In response to light blue heavy

Yes. I know....the majority of MINUTES of the game...funny, though. Don't make me think about my syntax as I awaken in the morning.

The Willow 
Masters Student

11-24-04 04:36 PM - Post#225    
    In response to light blue heavy

Quote:

Quote:

Penn played 6 players the majority of the game

no wonder they won by so much!

Yeah, but so did Drexel, if you count the big guy in the suit standing on the court.

Quaker Fan 
maximus

Reg: 11-23-04
11-24-04 05:03 PM - Post#226    
    In response to

Oh Howard - what game were you watching - Bruiser did nothing from the sidelines - he was standing on the court the whole bloody game - he could have caused injury to a player or interfered in play very easily and I am totally shocked and offended that the Refs did not T him up - he should have been given a Tech foul each time - and on the 3rd ejected - another example of how NBA style reffing is creeping into the NCAAs - are ther really rules in this game - if so - who follows them (e.g., 3 second rule, 5 second rule, being out of bounds when you in bound, palming/double dribbling, etc.)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.883 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:13 PM