Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Tonight's early line.....        (Topic#502)
Penn94 
PhD Student

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Reg: 11-21-04
01-25-05 01:19 PM - Post#2641    

Penn -1

Somewhat of a surprise, if you ask me. I guess the Quakers' recent winning streak, the game being at the Palestra, and Penn coming out ahead in the "common opponent" analysis leads to this.

Anonymous 

Re: Tonight's early line.....
01-25-05 02:58 PM - Post#2642    
    In response to Penn94

Nikce job by the Inquirer also. I pored through my print version this morning at breakfast, only to find that there was NOT ONE WORD about the game. It appeared in the "Local Events" and TV listings, but that's it. And it wasn't just because the Eagles have pushed everything else aside -- they had a mention of Temple women breaking into the Top 25 for the first time.

Shameful.

Anonymous 

01-25-05 05:46 PM - Post#2643    
    In response to Penn94

One thing I like about tonight's game is St. Joe's free throw ineptitude. Our best defense seems to be a very physical defense (the one down side - we do foul a lot) and tonight we might be able to get away with it. St. Joes has 6 guys who have taken more than 8 free throws this season. Here is how they break out:
FTA PCT
Jones 104 - 58%
Stachitis 45 - 69%
Lee 34 - 56%
Jalloh 28 - 71%
Carroll 26 - 58%
Bryant 24 - 58%

I definitely see a "Hack-a-Dwayne" strategy whenever he gets an offensive board or a good touch inside. I am pleasantly surprised to see that the St. Joe guards cannot be relied upon to make their free throws in a late game foul scenario.

What I don't like about this game is Dwayne Jones. We have struggled inside against big shot blocking opponents (no surprise) and he is averaging 4.5 offensive rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game along with a remarkably good 2.5 fouls in his average 34 minutes per game. He is good at staying out of foul trouble. As long as he is in the game - we will have trouble (1) keeping St. Joe's to one shot per possession (2) getting any post points (none of our guys can score on him inside) and (3) making guard penetration that threatens anything but a kickout to a shooter. With Jones - St. Joe's does not have to leave the shooters to help and this could mean fewer open outside looks for the Quakers.

Should be fun - I'll be hooting and hollering from my temporarily changed seats in 116 tonight!

Penn94 
PhD Student

Loc: Dallas, Texas
01-25-05 06:17 PM - Post#2644    
    In response to

Quote:

What I don't like about this game is Dwayne Jones. We have struggled inside against big shot blocking opponents (no surprise) and he is averaging 4.5 offensive rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game along with a remarkably good 2.5 fouls in his average 34 minutes per game. He is good at staying out of foul trouble. As long as he is in the game - we will have trouble (1) keeping St. Joe's to one shot per possession (2) getting any post points (none of our guys can score on him inside) and (3) making guard penetration that threatens anything but a kickout to a shooter. With Jones - St. Joe's does not have to leave the shooters to help and this could mean fewer open outside looks for the Quakers.

Jones has a history of success inside vs. Penn, killing Penn on the offensive boards in particular. In 02-03, Jones, a freshman off the bench, scored 7 pts and grabbed 10 boards (5 offensive) in 21 minutes. Last year, he scored 8 pts and pulled down 13 boards (6 offensive) in 33 minutes with 3 blocks. While Jones' scoring is up this year, Joe's can't ride his offense alone to a victory, but his rebounding and shot-blocking can be the catalyst the Hawks need. Danley in particular needs to sacrifice any offensive game and make sure that Jones doesn't get ANY offensive rebounds tonight (Jones is averaging an impressive 4.53 offensive boards a game this season). If we keep his offensive glass output to a minimum, Penn will have a nice chance at the victory.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
01-25-05 07:08 PM - Post#2645    
    In response to

Quote:

(2) getting any post points (none of our guys can score on him inside)

While Jones is definitely a beast... I think Ryan could still score some points on him inside... atleast enough to keep him honest. I think Ryan's energy could be huge tonight, so I hope he is on the floor long enough to utilize it.

-Mike

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

01-25-05 07:10 PM - Post#2646    
    In response to Mike Porter

He also could match up pretty well against Bryant defensively, so a Danley/Pett combo could work for a stretch here and there.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.182 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:13 AM