Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Crowd        (Topic#508)
pennindian 
Sophomore
pennindian
Reg: 12-09-04
01-26-05 03:20 AM - Post#2684    

I was so excited by the crowd tonight. It was raucous, and everything we've all been waiting for. Even though, as usual, many students showed up a little late, it was still a nice showing. Plus, they were all into it, jumping up and down, chanting loudly and often, especially during the timeout when the St. Joes dance team came out. There were two things I liked a lot that I wish they could do again.

1. Keep the students together in one area of the court like they did today. Helps create a sense of closeness and allows people to feel more free with chanting and jumping.

2. Keep the band down on the floor or near it. They are active, and the louder the noise they can create, the more noise the fans generate. There has to be space somewhere on the floor where its sparsely populated. Those fans should move over a little and allow the band to stay down, and not tucked away somewhere in the rafters.

Hopefully, after seeing the energy tonight, more fans will come to the Ivy League games.

The Willow 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Crowd
01-26-05 03:43 AM - Post#2685    
    In response to pennindian

Quote:

2. Keep the band down on the floor or near it. They are active, and the louder the noise they can create, the more noise the fans generate. There has to be space somewhere on the floor where its sparsely populated. Those fans should move over a little and allow the band to stay down, and not tucked away somewhere in the rafters.

I'm all for it. The problem lies in that 1) those seats are sellable, so it'll never happen. We generally only get floor for Big 5 games... 2) When we're on the floor, it limits our size, so some times we have to make cuts, which we don't like to do.

TomPittsburgh 
maximus
TomPittsburgh
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Reg: 11-28-04
01-27-05 12:58 AM - Post#2686    
    In response to The Willow

I think the DP reported that there were more St. Joe fans in the Palestra last nite than Penn fans. That should never happen even if it was a St. Joe's home game.

The Willow 
Masters Student

01-27-05 01:05 AM - Post#2687    
    In response to TomPittsburgh

I think there were more St. Joe's fans, but more Penn students...

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
01-27-05 02:02 AM - Post#2688    
    In response to The Willow

Quote:

I think there were more St. Joe's fans, but more Penn students...

agreed... and i don't think i've ever seen st. joe's play in the palestra and not have the majority of the fans... granted that's only been three years but i considered last night a pleasant surprise.
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

01-27-05 02:12 AM - Post#2689    
    In response to TomPittsburgh

Quote:

I think the DP reported that there were more St. Joe fans in the Palestra last nite than Penn fans. That should never happen even if it was a St. Joe's home game.

Of course it should. St. Joe's controls the tickets. Their fans get tickets first and they nicely accommodate all Penn season ticket holders. But it would be very hard for Penn people to buy all the St. Joe's tickets unless Hawks fans didnt want them.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

01-27-05 03:37 AM - Post#2690    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Honestly, the atmosphere last night was perfect. I don't care if it was 2/3 St. Joe's. They are great, vocal, enthusiastic fans. I'll take that over a 1/2 empty Palestra without visiting fans any time. Don't think the St. Joe's fans have no effect on our guys too; if that atmosphere doesn't get you pumped, you shouldn't be at the game.

PennHawk 

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 12-03-04
01-27-05 03:55 AM - Post#2691    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

my favorite moment - the Penn fans chanting Lets Go Quakers, completely drowning out the music for their dance team.... fantastic.... great rollouts too!!!

DCAJedi 
Masters Student

Loc: Somewhere.
01-27-05 05:55 AM - Post#2692    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Quote:

Of course it should. St. Joe's controls the tickets. Their fans get tickets first and they nicely accommodate all Penn season ticket holders. But it would be very hard for Penn people to buy all the St. Joe's tickets unless Hawks fans didnt want them.

I thought it was supposed to be split 50-50, at least ideally. Although considering the size of the Fieldhouse you could probably do that and still get all the season ticketholders in.
"Here will be an old abusing of God's patience, and the king's English."

Anonymous 

01-30-05 03:13 PM - Post#2693    
    In response to pennindian

The band was back up top for the weekend, but the Saturday night crowd was excellent. The usual pre-game harrassment of the Brown players during warm-ups. Miscellaneous weird costumes, lots of energy. Rollouts were weak, other than the Forte - NBA one, but that's minor.

General, good work!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.177 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:57 AM