Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Friday's big game at home vs. Holy Cross        (Topic#5122)
mcgipp01 

Reg: 02-04-07
02-07-07 04:47 PM - Post#29628    

I hope Bucknell can pull this one out. Maybe the home field support will play a little into this game. I believe they can do it, and am looking forward to a great game. Go Bucknell!

mcgipp01 

Reg: 02-04-07
Re: Friday's big game at home vs. Holy Cross
02-08-07 03:47 AM - Post#29629    
    In response to mcgipp01

I don't know if the Bison can win eight in a row, its a difficult task with Brown healthy, and Holy Cross is no pushover. Frankly, Holy Cross may be the team that thwarts Bucknell's NCAA bid. They will need to play flawless basketball the last six minutes to even have a chance Friday.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
02-08-07 11:18 AM - Post#29630    
    In response to mcgipp01

All I can say is 31 straight league home wins...Until we lose a home game, we have gotta be considered the favorite with or without Brown.

Side stat that I saw on the HC board...BU and HC are a combined 71-3 against the other 6 teams in the PL since the start of the 04-05 season. If I am not mistaken BU had all of those losses in 05 (at American, at Navy and at Lehigh). That stat is all you need to look at to say this is still a two team league.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
02-08-07 12:42 PM - Post#29631    
    In response to BUFan

HC lost only to BU in 04-05, but lost 3x in 05-06. Besides the BU losses (2)they lost 1 other on the road--Colgate? That would make that 71-3 stat, which originated in the BU press release for the game, wrong. On the other hand, I do not think we lost at LU in 2005--which would make the stat right.

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-11-06
02-08-07 01:12 PM - Post#29632    
    In response to bison63

As noted on the HC board, another huge reason for both teams to win this game in addition to positioning for home court throughout the tournament is what the rest of the tournament brackets are looking like based on the standings so far.

Right now, I'd have to think that the 3, 6, 7 side of the bracket (Lehigh, American, Navy) is looking a lot tougher even if playing at Sojka, than the 4, 5, 8 side of the bracket (Army, Colgate, Lafayette) if the tournament were to start today and taking last night's games into account.

Yes there's still plenty of games to be played but it might help in deciding where our rooting interests should lie for future games involving the other teams.
Will Atlas shrug? Who is John Galt?

bison63 
Postdoc

02-08-07 01:33 PM - Post#29633    
    In response to BUPilot

No rooting problem at all--we have to win out and root for someone to beat HC.Even if we lose a game (other than HC)we have a shot at the tiebreaker as long as both HC and us lose another game. If it goes to RPI, we are dead as 137 points out thanks to our no show vs. C. Ark.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-08-07 02:03 PM - Post#29634    
    In response to bison63

Quote:

HC lost only to BU in 04-05, but lost 3x in 05-06. Besides the BU losses (2)they lost 1 other on the road--Colgate? That would make that 71-3 stat, which originated in the BU press release for the game, wrong. On the other hand, I do not think we lost at LU in 2005--which would make the stat right.

The press release is correct due to a technicality. We lost on the court to Lehigh in 2004-05 but we later received a "Joe Knight forfeit". So we ended up officially with only two non-HC losses. Then last year HC lost at Lehigh. So that is your three losses.

Shot Clock 
Masters Student

Loc: Arlington VA
Reg: 01-27-06
02-08-07 03:49 PM - Post#29635    
    In response to BUPilot

Quote:

As noted on the HC board, another huge reason for both teams to win this game in addition to positioning for home court throughout the tournament is what the rest of the tournament brackets are looking like based on the standings so far.

Right now, I'd have to think that the 3, 6, 7 side of the bracket (Lehigh, American, Navy) is looking a lot tougher even if playing at Sojka, than the 4, 5, 8 side of the bracket (Army, Colgate, Lafayette) if the tournament were to start today and taking last night's games into account.

Yes there's still plenty of games to be played but it might help in deciding where our rooting interests should lie for future games involving the other teams.

Yeah - if we are stuck as the #2 seed, I certainly want to see American move up to 4/5.
B.A. Bucknell University, 1993

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-08-07 04:05 PM - Post#29636    
    In response to Shot Clock

Here's a copy of a post I made on the HC board. Based on the remaining schedules, I think it's a good probability that AU will move to #4 or #5. However even if they stay at #6, we would only have to play them IF they beat #3 Lehigh, and that would be fine with me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the remaining schedules there's still a good chance that American will finish either 4th or 5th. Of the three contenders for 4th and 5th, this is who they still have to play:

Colgate - American, Lehigh, @ Holy Cross, Navy

American - @ Colgate, Army, @ Navy, Lafayette

Army - @ Lehigh, @ American, @ Navy, Lafayette, Bucknell

Thus Colgate still has to play LU and HC, Army still has to play LU and BU, but American has no games remaining with any of the top three. For American to end up 6th, I think they will have to lose their next two games - @ Colgate and Army. If they win them both, they'll likely finish 4th. If they split them, they'll probably finish no worse than 5th.

The danger for AU, if they split these two games, is that they still could end up tied with Army for fiifth and Army would own the tiiebreaker. If AU ties Colgate, however, AU wins the tiebreaker. To complete the round robin, Colgate owns the tiebreaker over Army.

If Navy beats Lafayette this weekend and then beats Army at home (after they presumably lose to Holy Cross), they might have a shot to get into the mix as well, since they play both American and Colgate in their last two games. To get to 4th, however, they would have to win four of the five - @LC, HC, Army, AU, @ CU, and I think that's a longshot.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-08-07 04:06 PM - Post#29637    
    In response to Shot Clock

I don't know if American is 6 they get Lehigh in round 1 and might knock them off. I think we just took the best American had to offer without Donald and still beat them at their place, so I don't know if that is entirely a bad thing. We don't want them to drop to 7 for sure!

GoBison 
Junior
GoBison
Reg: 01-22-06
02-08-07 04:15 PM - Post#29638    
    In response to atlantabison

I think sending Mr. Ingram on an all-expense paid trip to Worcester is a great idea.

MarkH 
Freshman

Reg: 02-01-06
02-08-07 04:38 PM - Post#29639    
    In response to GoBison

Here's a novel approach... Friday doesn't matter! Well, it does for the home streak and all, but unless HC stubs their toe somewhere else and we get REAL cold, we're looking at L-burg for early rounds and heading to Mass to keep the PL trophy. In a way, if we were to lose on friday, I think that makes our chances BETTER at winning the 3rd meeting since how many evenly matched teams can beat the other one 3 times the same year (OK, I know, we went 3-0 on HC, but we were clearly the better team that year). Of course, I'm assuming we're evenly matched with HC.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-08-07 06:31 PM - Post#29640    
    In response to MarkH

Not to hard of a stretch to imagine they stub their toe at Stabler. After all they went to OT twice on the road already and despite the Navy victory last night Lehigh is a better team than Colgate or Army. Now I know that assumes we get out of there with our skin, but I think we can still land the #1, although we are decidedly underdogs at this point.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.186 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:43 PM