Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Holy Cross Game        (Topic#5143)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
02-08-07 10:07 PM - Post#29762    

Game notes from BU and HC:

http://bucknellbison.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020807aaa.html

http://goholycross.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020707aaa.html

And notes on the women's game:

http://bucknellbison.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/020807aab.html

http://goholycross.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/020707aaa.html

In its own way, the women's game, which is also being televised, is just as big as the men's game, maybe even bigger. A win in this one would give the Bison a great shot at the #1 seed and a possible televised home game in the PL finals. HC, missing their starting PG (ACL injury) and a backup guard, has been up-and-down this year but is capable of playing very well. Of course the Bison are missing a two-time All-PL performer of their own (Lindsey Hollobaugh), plus their second tallest player, so the injuries are pretty much of a wash. HC has two very good freshmen plus a big size advantage so the Bison will have to play well to win this one.

Hollobaugh, btw, was just named an ESPN Academic All-District selection, the first Bison woman hoops player to receive this honor in eleven years.

http://bucknellbison.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/020807aac.html

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Re: Holy Cross Game
02-08-07 10:08 PM - Post#29763    
    In response to Bison137

AP article on the Bucknell-Holy Cross rivalry:

http://sports.bostonherald.com/college/basketball/view.bg?articleid=181832

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Get Thee to Sojka
02-09-07 12:56 PM - Post#29764    
    In response to Bison137

Limited tickets available for tonight's doubleheader.
http://bucknellbison.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020807aad.html

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
Re: Get Thee to Sojka
02-09-07 02:09 PM - Post#29765    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

since these threads usually dont get any additional action, anyone doing anything special to prepare for tonights game?

any interesting routines, superstitians, et cetera?

i didnt do anything other than dress up. orange and blue pumas. orange and blue argyle socks. orange and blue boxers. orange and blue striped belt. white bu tee, orange bu polo and a blue sweater on top.

btw, the pumas didnt come out for the game in worcester... and what a mistake that was. i wholeheartedly apologize.

ps. anyone know where i could find some bison-emblazened chinos? you know, like the ones with whales and crabs and stuff? only with bison? hehe.
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-11-06
02-09-07 02:48 PM - Post#29766    
    In response to ericatbucknell

God willing all the remaining tickets will be sold before game time because it's almost criminal if a game of this importance isn't a jam packed sold out 4000+ in attendance affair. This is a game any Bison fan should try their utmost to get to if it's at all feasible.
Will Atlas shrug? Who is John Galt?

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
02-09-07 02:53 PM - Post#29767    
    In response to BUPilot

Hey Eric - did you go sign up for the digital cable package there in State College since that particular Comcast cable system does offer ESPNU on it?

Don't ask me why Comcast will provide ESPNU on cable systems in the State College / Altoona area of PA but not anywhere else. Makes no sense but that's par for the course where Comcast is concerned.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-09-07 02:57 PM - Post#29768    
    In response to BUPilot

Quote:

God willing all the remaining tickets will be sold before game time because it's almost criminal if a game of this importance isn't a jam packed sold out 4000+ in attendance affair. This is a game any Bison fan should try their utmost to get to if it's at all feasible.

I don't think that will be an issue. With the ticket distribution system they're using this year, it seems to be inevitable that a few tickets end up for sale on game day. For the Army game, there was a long line prior to the box office opening and some people on line got shut out. I'd imagine the tickets that are left will be quickly gone.

A side-note. BU could have sold more season tickets back in September and not left as many tickets available for students/faculty/staff, but they chose to cut off season ticket sales. They tried to find the right mixture since they didn't want to shut out BU personnel, but they may have overshot by a tiny bit.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
02-09-07 03:13 PM - Post#29769    
    In response to BUPilot

Quote:

Hey Eric - did you go sign up for the digital cable package there in State College since that particular Comcast cable system does offer ESPNU on it?

Don't ask me why Comcast will provide ESPNU on cable systems in the State College / Altoona area of PA but not anywhere else. Makes no sense but that's par for the course where Comcast is concerned.

it is likely that comcast is simply finishing out the contract that was signed between espnu and adelphia prior to its being acquired.

and no, im not hooked up because, in addition to not having the financial means to do so, im heading to lewisburg in a few hours! game on!
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
02-09-07 03:17 PM - Post#29770    
    In response to ericatbucknell

According to the Bucknell press release the tickets that are going on sale were unsold tickets from the Holy Cross allotment. So....every ticket a Bison fan gets from that group is in a way a two-fer in increasing the home court advantage since those tickets were originally intended for H.C. fans.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-09-07 03:52 PM - Post#29771    
    In response to BUPilot

Quote:

According to the Bucknell press release the tickets that are going on sale were unsold tickets from the Holy Cross allotment. So....every ticket a Bison fan gets from that group is in a way a two-fer in increasing the home court advantage since those tickets were originally intended for H.C. fans.

I didn't see that in the release on the Bison site. Can you point me to the release that talks about that. Thanks.

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
02-09-07 04:32 PM - Post#29772    
    In response to Bison137

I think they've changed the press release to make it more general in terms of the ticket source. I could swear that when I first read that release this morning immediately after Bisonroadwarrior posted the link that it said the tickets were the unsold Holy Cross allotment. Unfortunately, I didn't think to copy, paste & quote it in my previous post so I don't have any verifiable proof.

That said, it might be a case where the tickets they're releasing are a combination of the unsold H.C. allotment and other unclaimed tickets so they changed the release to be more general. And yes, I realize it might be my mind/eyes playing tricks on me but I'm 99.8% positive that the initial Bucknell release did call the source of the unsold tickets the H.C. allotment.

Either way - if Bison fans can make it to Sojka tonight - do so!

Shot Clock 
Masters Student

Loc: Arlington VA
Reg: 01-27-06
02-10-07 01:25 AM - Post#29773    
    In response to Bison137

Very nice. Great defensive 2nd half effort! McNaughton and Castle - you almost killed me at the end, but I'll take it. The refs were calling a very soft game - lots of contact with no whistles in this one.

Again, these ESPNU games suck - forcing me to go to a bar to watch. First time I've watched a Bison game in a bar that they won.
B.A. Bucknell University, 1993

GoBison 
Junior
GoBison
02-10-07 01:41 AM - Post#29774    
    In response to Shot Clock

My stat of the night: Clifford & Vanderbaan: 2 rebounds - McNaughton & Mastropaolo: 15 boards

At the end of the day, BU only held serve tonight - have to retain focus for Wednesday.

Nice Win!

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-10-07 01:44 AM - Post#29775    
    In response to Shot Clock

Defensive effort started in the first 21 points through 10 min and 6 the last 9 minutes of the first half. I was worried when we were down 8 got 5 defensive stops in a row and were still down 8. That was a great defensive game from both teams. Holy Cross only had 18 points from anyone but Simmons & Thomas for the entire game (the last being Cunningham's 3 with 12+ minutes left)! I thought a lot of the no-call let them play stuff was warentted watching guys on both teams taking a flop for little or no contact. How can you go 0-4 at the line in the last minute when all you need is 1 to ice it? Boy did Abe come out of the break on fire, we needed someone to pick it up on the offensive end tonight. Great job, now we hope Holy Cross stumbles along the way somewhere and we can keep it going.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
02-10-07 04:19 AM - Post#29776    
    In response to Bison137

Link to ESPNU post-game interview with Pat Flannery.
No highlights, though!!!
http://broadband.espn.go.com/ivp/splash?ceid=2760752

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
A few thoughts on the game
02-10-07 02:25 PM - Post#29777    
    In response to Bison137

A few thoughts on last night'g game:

1. Not surprisingly the intensity level was extremely high. Also, the play was very physical and got progressively more so since the refs weren't calling much.

2. Great effort by the Bison on the boards, outrebounding a Holy Cross team that has led the league in rebounding all year. McN continued his strong work on the boards, with 10. Since the last game with the Crusaders he has been averaging 9 boards per game - the best stretch of his career. Since DB broke his hand, the Bison have outrebounded their three opponents collectively 92-64. Granted Navy is a weak rebounding team but they also outboarded two good rebounding teams by margins of five.

3. Great work by Castleberry, Tyree, and Behan off the bench. Justin again gave us some offense and Behan was great putting the ball to the floor. With his long-range shooting ability, he will be very tough to guard as he improves this facet of his game. Still could use a little work on his ball fake. Tyree had to match up with Simmons for several long stretches and he did a commendable job, albeit with a little help.

4. Simmons only had one field goal over a 36 minute span, between his three early ones and the really tough three-pointer he hit at the end. In addition to Tyree, Abe did a real good job on him, plus they played a fair amount of of match-up. The one thing that does not work vs HC is a three-guard lineup with Abe, Griffin, and Vegotsky. That was the configuration at the beginning when we fell behind 12-2. HC is able to put too much pressure on Vegotsky, with him often having to guard Simmons. After that point, JV served as the backup to AB and JG, and Tyree and Castleberry alternated at the third guard spot. Pat has always been very loyal to his starters, and Vegotsky is very valuable against may teams, but he ought to start Castleberry (or Tyree) if we face the Crusaders again. Thomas and Simmons are very tough matchups.

5. Simmons and Thomas are also both incredibly tough on defense. At the start of both halves the Bison seemed to forget how quick those guys are and made a few ill-advised passes before settling down. Simmons had an incredible block on a Badmus fast break attempt, although that ended up hurting HC because there was a scramble afterwards, another shot (I think), and then Vander Baan fouled out battling Mastro for the ball.

6. The report yesterday about HC turning back tickets may have been correct. Knowing there is often misinformation on crowds, I took the liberty at halftime of counting how many seats the HC contingent had. They had Rows A-L behind the HC bench, which is 126 seats (although a few did not seem to be occupied), plus about fifteen huddled together high up on the other side of the runway. Add in a few who may have refrained from wearing purple and blended in with the crowd in other spots, and maybe there were 150 there. I think the PL requires teams to make 200 tickets available for their opponents but I could be mistaken.

7. On the HC board, there was one observer who put forth the proposition that Clifford deserved an All-PL vote ahead of McNaughton. I wonder if his opinion has changed after Chris outrebounding TC by a 10-1 count. Chris also outscored him 9-4 and had only one turnover, a big change from the disaster in Worcester. TC did have two blocks, although not on Chris. Chris had a block on a McCarthy shot as well and a nice assist to Mastro (or Behan?). McN spent a lot less time in the low post this game, presumably to give him more room against the double teams.

8. Not unexpectedly the defense was very tough on both sides and quite varied. HC went with a big lineup for a long stretch with Cunningham ( who has seen very little PT lately) and Simmons as wings. With those players on the court, they spent some time in what looked like a 1-2-2, with Simmons/Cunningham on the wings and Meister/Clifford down low. I don't think the Bison did a great job attacking that defense.

9..The usual poor job by the PL officials. One ref made over half the calls, even the ones where the call should have belonged to another ref. I imagine some HC fans are complaining about some calls but there were a number of bad ones in both directions. I didn't have the benefit of replay but it sure looked like Thomas traveled in the last sequence. One thing I had a chance to watch closely, being at midcourt, was the play off the ball. The refs ignored at least twenty illegal screens by Clifford. His footwork is slow and he often is late moving into screening position, a marked contrast to how well Mastro screens. I know HoopTime was the subject of much derision last year on the HC board for suggesting that Mastro's screening help make him a valuable player but if you watch the difference between him and Clifford in this role and you'd have a little idea what he was talking about.

10. Kudos for John Griffin. Similarly to the game in Worcester, he couldn't hit anything for much of the game but then he hit two huge jumpers down the stretch.

11. If we had lost, the dagger would have been Cunningham's forced 27-footer to beat the shot clock. Hit nothing but net to give them a 4-point lead fairly late.

12. Also congrats to the Bison women who blew out the HC women to hold onto their 1-game PL lead.

13. HoopTime has links to a lot of game articles today. There was a larger than normal press contingent there.

14. Huge crowd - fourth largest in history - and one of the louder ones. Great job by the students. It wasn't at the Villanova-level but it was loud. IT was also great to see Bison super-fan, Brian McGlinchey, there, helping to fire up the Bison crowd. He is maybe the only fan who has seen every BU NCC game.

Off to a track meet and then a hoops game. Maybe I'll post more this evening. Go Bison.

GoBison 
Junior
GoBison
Re: A few thoughts on the game
02-10-07 04:40 PM - Post#29778    
    In response to Bison137

As to the refs - Scagliotta has done three final fours. It looked to me that we got a friday night crew (where we get more seasoned officals than on Saturdays where they go back to the Big East/A-10 games)... Wasn't perfect - but I'm sure glad they let 'em play.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Re: A few thoughts on the game
02-10-07 05:10 PM - Post#29779    
    In response to GoBison

Quote:

As to the refs - Scagliotta has done three final fours. It looked to me that we got a friday night crew (where we get more seasoned officals than on Saturdays where they go back to the Big East/A-10 games)... Wasn't perfect - but I'm sure glad they let 'em play.

The interesting thing is that the one ref took several calls away from Scagliotta from long distance - maybe trying to grab the limelight for himself?

npyoung35 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-24-06
02-10-07 05:17 PM - Post#29780    
    In response to GoBison

Clearly Clifford was shaken up and couldn't perform in front of the cycling team's big red dog.

mcgipp01 

Reg: 02-04-07
02-10-07 07:39 PM - Post#29781    
    In response to npyoung35

Question.......Do you think Bucknell will change up the three guard lineup for the HC tournament game? It woud be nice to see the Bison winning out of the gate, and some sort of adjustment could make this happen. Also, I was concerned with the foul shooting in the last minutes of the game. Hopefully, the Bison hit their stride come tournament time.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.475 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:08 AM