Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Colgate Loss Today - Only Emmett Davis could have done it!!        (Topic#5198)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
02-11-07 10:36 PM - Post#30126    

Based on the published reports, Colgate today scored to take the lead on American with 0.2 seconds left. That's right - a two-point lead with 0.2 seconds left and 94 feet away. Not even enough time to catch and shoot. At that point, a third grade girls team would almost surely have won. In fact if Emmett had left all five starters standing by the CU bench they probably would have won (assuming a fair start to the clock, a reasonable chance playing at home).

So what happened? American ran the oldest play in the book in this situation - one I've never seen work before, and one that Colgate should have been thoroughly prepared for with 0.2 seconds left. They had their inbounder run the baseline after sneaking in Eitutavicius beside the CU player who was guarding the inbounder. The unprepared CU player apparently ran over Eitutavicius for a foul that sent him to the other end, shooting 1-and-1. Since there occasionally is justice, Eitutavicius hit them both to send the game into OT. AU of course won in OT.

If these reports are correct, I think if I were the Colgate AD, I would fire Emmett before he even got to the locker room.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Re: Colgate Loss Today - Apparently only Emmett Davis could have done it!!
02-11-07 11:12 PM - Post#30127    
    In response to Bison137

I just realized that this was an ESPNU game, so the play may be on SportsCenter tonight. Stay tuned.

BTW, the CU fans packed Cotterell for the TV appearance - an "announced" crowd of 523, which probably means 225 were actually there. I think their attendance formula is to double the actual crowd and then add 73. Or maybe that was last year's formula? I wonder what the TV audience thought of the crowd?

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 02-11-06
02-12-07 12:14 AM - Post#30128    
    In response to Bison137

After watching the film clip highlight of the play that's on the ESPNU.com website, all I can do is just shake my head in disbelief about two things. They are: first, that Colgate could be that stupid on the court with 0.2 seconds left, and second that they have no shame about claiming 500+ fans in what clearly was nowhere near that number visible on tv. Since the AU player ran along the baseline you could actually see the stands on both sides - if there were 200 people there total I'd be surprised.

That said - I have to agree with some of the folks over on the H.C. board...for the good of the Patriot League, Emmett Davis needs to be fired. Of course he won't be since nobody cares enough at Colgate about the team for poor play like this to matter to them.
Will Atlas shrug? Who is John Galt?

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
02-12-07 02:03 AM - Post#30129    
    In response to BUPilot

I just watched the clip on ESPN.com, and I am in COMPLETE shock! You are not going to get a tip in having to heave it the length of the court. Davis should've told his players to stand still...Colgate deserves better!

I think we know what #1 on next Saturday's SportsCenter Not Top 10 will be!

Was that the same Chones that broke D-Brown's wrist???

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-12-07 02:56 AM - Post#30130    
    In response to BUFan

Quote:

Was that the same Chones that broke D-Brown's wrist???

Yes.

If you look at the clip, Chones clearly sees Eitutavicius way before the hit and keeps running towards him and puts up his hands to protect himself from the contact. It's almost like Chones wanted to hit Eitutavicius to teach him a lesson about trying to set a pick on him. I guess he figured the ref wouldn't dare call a foul at that juncture.

A poster on the HC board makes a good point about the Colgate "crowd" possibly costing them the game. Would the ref have dared make that call if Cotterell was packed with 3000 screaming fans right on top of him? Assuming Flannery and the Bison team lost their collective minds and pulled a play like Colgate did, do you think a ref would make that call in a packed Sojka?

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
02-12-07 03:26 AM - Post#30131    
    In response to Bison137

There's no way that call gets made in a packed Sojka pavilion if Flannery & the team lost their collective minds. Especially since it's hard to tell from the replay whether the AU player really had gotten established in a stationary position before Chones steamrolled him. In that regard it was probably the force of the hit from Chones & the fact that Chones put his hands up before the hit that prompted the foul.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-12-07 01:21 PM - Post#30132    
    In response to BUPilot

Before we throw too many stones, we have been the victim of this one before in the early 80's. Up 1 with 1 second left in old Davis Gym we led Lehigh (I think, although I have tried to blot this one from my memory.) Lehigh was inbounding on the sideline and tried to run a pick to free up a shooter. Our defender ran over the pick setter and got whistled. (I could name him here, but I think he probably has tried to forget it as well.) Lehigh hit both free throws to win by a point. It was a slightly different scenario, but to those of us present it felt as bad. Before we blame coaches remember that these are still kids. They do stupid things even if told not to. That said I am not going to post here in defense of Emmitt Davis. Yet as a high school coach I understand that there is sometimes a difference between what you tell a team to do and what happens on the court.
Ray Bucknell!

BUPilot 
Masters Student
BUPilot
02-12-07 02:29 PM - Post#30133    
    In response to atlantabison

While I can't speak to what happened in the early 1980s in Davis Gym, I think the difference is that this is not the first boneheaded play by Colgate by a long shot. Emmett Davis coached Colgate teams had a well established history of underperforming the perceived talent level, playing with poor discipline, etc. before this weekend's collapse. I doubt that Bucknell's basketball team and Coach Woolery had the same track record going into the game where they may have fallen victim to this play as well back in the 1980s.

Put simply, if Colgate generally played good basketball I think folks would be willing to chalk this up to as an unfortunate but unexpected poor decision on the court. Emmett Davis has, for better or worse, lost the ability to get the benefit of the doubt on plays like this because of Colgate's performance over 7 or 8 years now.

Though it would probably make things harder for Bucknell in the long run inside the league, Emmett Davis must go.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-12-07 02:36 PM - Post#30134    
    In response to BUPilot

As I said, I am not attempting to be an Emmett Davis defender, I have ripped him on this forum on multiple occasions. Colgate needs to make a change if for no other reason than to add some energy into the program. I was simply pointing out that things like what happened to Colgate on Sunday are more common than we might like to think.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.205 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:42 AM