Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn 65 Yale 41        (Topic#529)
Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
01-29-05 03:05 AM - Post#2825    

It's all about the D.

Fran Dunphy continues to lull reporters and the opposition to sleep with his insistence on "making shots" but Penn is winning these days with its defense.

Haven't seen the shooting numbers yet but I don't think they'll be pretty. However, 16-6 after 10:05 of the first half and 12-7 in the first 9:30 of the second half sure is pretty. That's holding Yale to only 13 points for nearly a half of basketball.

The 20 point lead led to extended Whitehurst action (Ebede got clocked in the first half by someone and spent his bench time with his head in a towel and his game time with his head in the clouds). Whitehurst meanwhile played decent defense, made a pest of himself, crashed the boards and helped the team extend its lead. He entered with 12:22 to go in the 2nd half up 21, he left 9:55 later up 27.

Minutes distribution was decent and although everyone keeps saying this is a guard-dominated team it's the forwards who torched Yale. Danley had 15 points (I think) in around 20 minutes of action and Zoller had 14 (I think) and looked like Zoller 2004.

Pretty solid effort, I'd say.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
Pretty Hideous
01-29-05 03:29 AM - Post#2826    
    In response to Howard Gensler

The shooting numbers for tonight: Penn 43% overall, 21% from three, Yale 29% overall, 15% from three. From the line: Yale 47%, Penn 44%.
I give Danley the game ball: 16 pts. 5 rebounds, and completely shut down the middle on D.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

pennbando 
Freshman

Loc: New York, NY
Reg: 11-29-04
Re: Penn 65 Yale 41
01-29-05 03:32 AM - Post#2827    

I too am enamored with this win. The play of the frontcourt started strong and stayed strong. We crashed the boards every time and came up with points. Danley impressed me for the first time with his moves inside. Furthermore, the hustle of the entire front court was stellar, diving after balls, and emphasized by Pett's running dunk.
However, the defense was great too. We saw blocks, steals, and created confusion. While Ibby didn't have an amazing offensive game (with the exception of his one beautiful lay in), you cannot argue with the defense. I was amazed by the way the guys kept their men and were willing to take charges. Overall, tonights performance was strong and fearless.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

01-29-05 03:59 AM - Post#2828    
    In response to pennbando

There have been numerous comparisons to the great Bruce Lefkowitz over the years (most of them bogus). Just because a big guy is slow, unable to jump and white doesn't make him Lefko. Lefko could play. As Phil Pitts used to say, "He's the best worst player I've ever seen."

But Steve Danley made a pivot move tonight in which the move got stopped and he dipped under the defender's outstretched arm for a layup. It was the most Lefko'd Lefko move I'd seen since the man himself. For a moment I thought Perry Bromwell might stick a jumper the next time down the court. But then I saw Tom Schneider on the sideline and I snapped out of it.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
01-29-05 04:04 AM - Post#2829    

Agh. You said Schneider. Never say Schneider.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

01-29-05 10:28 AM - Post#2830    

This one looked pretty good. Clearly Yale can't be that bad, nor us that good; however, we looked very balanced out there on both ends. I think the key has been Osmundson who really seems to control the team nicely and is playing really good defense. Maybe I'm crazy but our 1,2 and 3 seem to be as strong as any group going back to Jerome's teams. Danley and Zoller are both funky players, but they are so active, they reek havoc out there. In short, solid back court/front court play- great balance with everyone contributing on both ends.

Still haven't been tested in a see saw contest this last 4. Maybe tonight is the better gauge judging by what went down in Jersey last night. I'm guessing Ibby takes Forte, but Fran may put Oz on him, at least to start.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
01-29-05 12:23 PM - Post#2831    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Howard says it's about the D. I say it's about the 'Z'. As goes Zoller, so goes the team. Last night was a great example. I am taking nothing away from Danley. He was great at both ends, and nobody inside the league can stop him 1-1. But Z was everywhere, underneath, from 15, top of the key, you name it, and his passing was right on. No way we lose to Temple if this version of the Z-factor had shown up.

OK, enough of that. On to tonight. Kudos to Brown for taking PU at home. Problem for them is, they match up badly against the Quakers and have less depth. Look for another comfortable Penn victory.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
01-29-05 12:28 PM - Post#2832    
    In response to AsiaSunset

While Forte is obviously their focal point, I think the big matchup question for us is who takes Ruscoe. I wouldn't be surprised if Zoller and Fikiel are on one of the younger big guards, with Oz and Begley dealing with Ruscoe. I think Brown presents some matchup problems that will be difficult for us on defense.

Hopefully, they'll give just as much back on the other end, but that didn't help us that much last year.

One other question on Oz controlling the team. Sometimes it's hard to tell a couple of our 6'6 guys with bad hair apart over the internet broadcast, but it seems to me that begley is the point guard in every sense of the word on offense. oz clearly filled the role when begley was off the court. i think we've got a bit of an ira bowman situation here, where the senior 3 became the 1 at some point in the out of conference schedule.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

01-29-05 02:46 PM - Post#2833    
    In response to SomeGuy

Oz has actually been handling the ball in the half-court much more the last two games. Even seems that Ibby handles it as much as Begley.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Whitehurst gets a shot at guarding Forte. He looked outstanding defensively last night. Granted Gamboa doesn't pose the same problems as Forte speed-wise, but Whitehurst seems to be as good if not better than Ibby at staying between his man and the basket.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.255 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:18 AM