Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Re: Longwood and Roy Clark        (Topic#53)
dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
11-24-04 06:10 AM - Post#229    

Quote:

P.S. Longwood University actually does exist. It's in Farmville, Virginia. You can get an idea of what kind of a place it is by going to the university's web site: The home page has a big announcement about a Roy Clark concert.

So they play both kinds of music there, huh?
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Anonymous 

Re: Longwood and Roy Clark
11-24-04 04:49 PM - Post#230    
    In response to dperry

Can't find original post that said Longwood home page featured upcoming Roy Clark concert, but do want to ask what is wrong with Roy Clark, at least in comparison to rap filth, violence and nonsense? More important, I searched but found no reference to Clark at all, but a lot of cultural events including classical music, dance recitals, choral concerts, jazz, interesting films, and all of these including internations sources.
No need to look down your nose at Longwood. Just be thankful we could beat their basketball team.

Anonymous 

11-24-04 04:56 PM - Post#231    
    In response to dperry

I found no mention at all of Roy Clark on Longwood's website, but I did find plenty of good and varied cultural
events, so don't look down your noses at them, just be glad we could beat their basketball team. By the way, Roy Clark is great compared to rap filth and violence.

The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
11-24-04 05:17 PM - Post#232    
    In response to

The original reference can be found in my post below, entitled "The Columbia Classic (part 2)."

I found the Roy Clark notice simply by going to longwood.edu, but perhaps they have a rotating series of notices in that space and it doesn't always come up. In any case, you can find out about the concert at

http://www.longwood.edu/news/releases/royclark04.html

I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to be derogatory towards Longwood. I certainly didn't intend it that way. We make a lot worse fun of each other on this board (or I guess I should now say on these boards). I have nothing against Longwood or Roy Clark, who is a very fine musician, though one who performs in a style that I don't listen to very much. All I was saying is that the place seems to have a strong country flavor, though (as you point out) not an exclusive one by any means. Nothing wrong with that.

As for the part about whether Longwood actually exists, since they have just this year joined Division I, it's not surprising that most Columbia fans had never heard of them. I doubt most people in Farmville, Virginia, know where Columbia University is, and there's no reason why they should.

Anonymous 

11-25-04 04:40 PM - Post#233    
    In response to The Lion King

Dear Lion King...thanks for your nice note. Didn't mean to come on too hard. I'm a NYC boy and I don't seek out Roy Clark either. But I do love all of America and I'm sensitive to all the city vs. country blabber following the election. After CU had occasion to go to grad school in
"the heartland" and then live in a couple of different such areas and experienced really authentic country music, but more importantly found many "rubes" who were more
sophisticated in many ways, including the arts, than my big-city associates.
Can't help noticing that Longwood gave us a good game, and that we had to work awfully hard to edge LIU. I'm delighted about 3-0 but determined not to lose perspective.
Even one year ago, under Jones, we probably would have lost
at least one, maybe two, possibly all three. His recruiting and coaching are making a difference but it's precarious right now. We desperately need to win every winnable game to attract better players, and remember this is not the strongest segment of our opponents.
In short, I don't care where our opponents come from, I want to concentrate on beating them.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

The Lion King 
Senior

another thing you rarely see in the Ivy League
12-05-04 06:41 PM - Post#234    
    In response to dperry

This weekend Columbia's women won the Lady Eagle Classic at the University of Southern Mississippi, defeating the host team in the opening round. Here's a noteworthy upcoming event at Southern Miss:

SOUTHERN MISS TO HOST BASSMASTER UNIVERSITY JAN. 15-16

http://www.usm.edu/pr/prnews/nov04/bassmaster.htm

(Bassmaster U. is not an actual university but rather a course in bass fishing techniques)

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
Re: another thing you rarely see in the Ivy League *DELETED*
12-05-04 08:07 PM - Post#235    

Post deleted by Brian Martin

The Lion King 
Senior

did I say there was something wrong with it?
12-05-04 08:38 PM - Post#236    
    In response to Brian Martin

If so, I'm sorry; I certainly didn't intend to. But please read the post again. I really don't think I said, or implied, anything of the kind.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
Re: did I say there was something wrong with it?
12-06-04 03:04 AM - Post#237    

I deleted my first post, but don't pretend that your point was not condescending.

The Lion King 
Senior

Re: did I say there was something wrong with it?
12-06-04 02:40 PM - Post#238    
    In response to Brian Martin

Friend, I've always enjoyed reading your comments, and I'm sure I will continue to do so. I don't want an argument, so all I will do is reiterate what I said before:

(1) I had no intention to be condescending, insulting, or derogatory in any way.
(2) I don't see anything in my post that implies anything of that sort.
(3) If I misjudged the way my post would be interpreted, I apologize.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.23 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:11 PM