Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: It wasn't the intensity        (Topic#534)
Rob 
maximus

Reg: 11-21-04
01-29-05 01:40 PM - Post#2863    

I think Joe was outcoached last night.

His new defense resulted in many mismatches, inside and out, and Brown took advantage - their 59.5 percent shooting reflected that.

Brown's defense was mainly a collapsing one, cutting off access for Wallace and Venable. But with the exception of Savage early and Andre late, no one wanted to pull the trigger on their threes.

This team needs a shooter who wants to shoot, an Earl or a Lewullis, who understands that shooting is his job.

As for Greenman, it's time for him to sit down. it's five on four at both ends when he's out there.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Re: It wasn't the intensity
01-29-05 02:32 PM - Post#2864    
    In response to Rob

Although I did not see the game, what you say seems plausible. I have also come to believe that this team lacks forwards, especially a couple of power forwards who can rebound and make an occasional jump shot.

nix23 
goober

Loc: NJ
01-29-05 06:55 PM - Post#2865    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Rob, I totally agree with you I think this loss is a result of lousy coaching by Scott. He refuses to change defenses even when his vaunted match up zone is not working. How many times were guys left uncovered or ended up in mismatches. Why not switch to a man to man with Venable on Forte? I was tired of seeing either Wallace or Stephens try and cover Forte on the outside. Then in the second half when Princeton needed offense he keeps Savage on the bench for the majority of the second half. I also agree with you about Greenman, he is a major weakness on this team. He misses so many open shots it is not funny.

Anonymous 

01-29-05 09:29 PM - Post#2866    
    In response to nix23

Its no surprise to see Georgetown pulling out most of the close games they are finding themselves in this year. John Thompson is one of the best game coaches around and that's why the Tigers won the Ivies last year. I like Joe Scott but I agree that you have to point the finger at the coach when the team crumbles down the stretch at home like they did last night.

I still think the Tigers will pull it out this year but they better put it together tonight.

Go Tigers!

Domer72 
Domer72
Loc: Rural Iowa
01-30-05 09:04 PM - Post#2867    
    In response to

John is definitely the surprise coach in the Big East so far. What you say about his game coaching makes sense.

TigerDave 
goober

01-31-05 02:01 PM - Post#2868    
    In response to Domer72

I think Rob's point about Princeton not having a "go-to" shooter is an accurate one. In Scott's more "orthodox" Princeton offense, having a zone-busting shooter is key. The only player on this team that consistently looks to shoot the three is Savage. However, he still is inconsistent (certainly on Saturday). We can only hope that next year's freshman class has a few shooters.

I also am not sold on Scott's hybrid defense. Either the players aren't running it correctly or it is not that great a concept. Brown and Yale had far too many easy shots this weekend. I think Penn would cut it apart right now.

All in all, I'm worried about this season. Wallace's injury is a big concern. Logan just does not seem to be his old self with the knee and everything. Schaen's absence now looms large as the Tigers are looking increasingly thin up front.

Rob 
maximus

01-31-05 02:37 PM - Post#2869    
    In response to TigerDave

I think Joe has hopes that Kyle Koncz could be that shooter. Based on what I saw in the JV game Friday, I would agree. Kyle has a beautiful stroke, and is pretty quick for his size.

Of course, both Savage and Owings can shoot it pretty well too. Over time, this problem may resolve itself.

Rob 
maximus

01-31-05 02:45 PM - Post#2870    
    In response to Rob

I should also have noted that Andre is shooting the three very well. Clearly he put in some work and the technique as well as the results reflect it.

Brian Martin 
Masters Student
Brian Martin
Loc: Washington, DC
01-31-05 04:43 PM - Post#2871    
    In response to Rob

The biggest problem, as Jake has pointed out, is the poor rebounding. Brown missed 18 shots and got 8 offensive rebounds and 12 second-chance points, and they are not a good rebounding team. It would be nice if Scott could send in a shooter, but even better if he could send in a rebounder. No Schaen, but what about Ekeruo? Rebounding was his specialty in his appearances last season.

Glad to see Stephens get his chance against Yale. I was a little concerned that he only played 9 minutes against Brown even though his minutes were no more productive than anyone else's on Friday.

I like Greenman as the starter and 30 minute guy, but last year Schafer brought some intensity off the bench, especially defensively. Would have liked to see him get at least a shot at harassing Forte for a few minutes each half.

Nice that Logan hit two threes Friday night but did he really have 6 3-point attempts and 0 2-point attempts on the weekend?

Rob 
maximus

01-31-05 06:05 PM - Post#2872    
    In response to Brian Martin

The problem with the rebounding is in large part related to our defense, which frequently pulls our big guys far from the basket, and has Greenman inside. Wallace, Logan and Owings can rebound, but not when they are out by the circle.

As for Andre's two-point attempts, Scott isn't featuring Andre's dribbling or posting up in the offense. In fact, Joe went offense/defense with Noah and Andre at the end. Beyond that, there is no way Andre is driving into a defense that is already collapsed to protect against Venable and the center.

Given the defense we now use, you wouldn't have seen Schafer harassing Forte, even if he got in, any more than you would have seen Greenman harassing Forte the rest of the time. During a typical possession, Forte was covered by three different Princeton players on the perimeter at different points.

A lot of times Brown ran its motion until they had a mismatch inside to exploit, or a slow guy on the perimeter who could be beat off the dribble. We severely limited the number of threes they took, but they killed us with twos.

One of the defensive knocks on Greenman is not entirely his fault. But Joe's defense works much better when the player ending up guarding a 6'7" guy inside is a 6'4" guard like Sargeant rather than a 5'9"(at most)guard like Greenman, or a 6'1" guard like Schafer.

Anonymous 

01-31-05 11:55 PM - Post#2873    
    In response to Rob

"The problem with the rebounding is in large part related to our defense, which frequently pulls our big guys far from the basket, and has Greenman inside. Wallace, Logan and Owings can rebound, but not when they are out by the circle."

Although on at least one occasion on Friday I noticed to my chagrin two of our big guys under the basket for the rebound which went sailing over their heads back out to the 3 point line! There were several occasions when everyone was playing 'volleyball' under the net, somehow it always ended up in a Brown hand! On the plus side Greenman despite his stature frequently jumps up and pulls down rebounds among the 'tall trees'.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.217 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:57 PM