Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Joe Must Go? Yes, he must.        (Topic#5386)
Anonymous 

Re: Don’t Tap on the Aquarium …
03-09-07 05:44 PM - Post#31460    
    In response to JDP

But Harter inherited a team which had graduated two all Ivy's & two other senior starters and got a late start on recruiting so had a weak frosh class. The next year, his first real recruiting year, he brought in Bilsky, Wohl & Jim Wolfe. Freshman weren't eligible (anywhere) for varsity then; but the frosh team won close to 20 games & it was obvious that Harter was going to turn the program around. The next class was Calhoun/Morse/Cottler & Billingslea and the Penn era of Big Five & Ivy dominance was started.

Scott inherited four returning starters from the Ivy Champ & turned in a losing league season. He's gone downhill from there & the objective evidence suggests he will have a second division team next year & one of the weakest freshman classes in the league.

joe nassau 
Sophomore

Reg: 02-13-05
Re: Don’t Tap on the Aquarium …
03-09-07 06:46 PM - Post#31461    
    In response to

Wow... consider me spanked. What I said was hypothetical but hardly ridiculous. My timeline may have been faulty, but aren't these players the archetypal types that Princeton supposedly can't attract. Wasn't Gloger recruited by UCLA? Didn't Gloger have a game his freshman year where he made 8 or 9 threes? Wasn't Young on his way to being maybe the best center in Princeton history? Wasn't Krug a McDonald's High School All-American? Of course it's all hypothetical, but if things had worked out differently for these guys, who knows what kind of players Princeton would be attracting.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
Re: Joe Must Go? Yes, he must.
03-09-07 07:16 PM - Post#31462    
    In response to Chuck

Quote:

Dave, problem is that Scott could have a 6-8 or 7-7 season next year (in the league) and it would be incredible progress over this year and I can promise you that there would be numerous people claiming the Scott was "turning things around." Of course, if one looked at Scott's four-year record it would look much like progress...

Like I said, Chuck, if they are as bad as this year. If they go 2-12 in the Ivies next year, I doubt very much that he will get a fifth year to try and improve in. The Tiger fans may be a bit more mellow than we are, but they ain't THAT mellow.

And hey, if he goes 6-8 next year, he can stay there and continue to do that as long as he wants. It's fine by me. :-)
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-12-07 04:38 PM - Post#31463    
    In response to penn nation

Well, I guess there's hope for Joe Scott after all. Mediocrity in a poor conference CAN pay big dividends:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-knicks-thomas&prov=ap&type=lgns

stevemerk 
goober

Reg: 02-06-07
Re: The number is not one....
03-15-07 12:17 AM - Post#31464    
    In response to Quakermaniac81

I see that Mr. Scott has another interview with the moderator! He has more interviews than George W. He goes around in circles like Gary Walters did regarding Syracuse and Drexel when interviewed on WFAN.

Lets face it, if Mr. Scott had the kids interest at heart, he would step down, clear the air and let someone else take over. He won't, his ego won't let him, so meanwhile the kids comming into the program continue to suffer. All I can say for Max Schafer, Alex Okafor and the rest, great job Joe!!

Acobj 

Reg: 05-21-06
03-20-07 01:39 AM - Post#31465    
    In response to Quakermaniac81

Does it occur to you fellows Princeton has become quite ordinary. The talent is ordinary, the coach is acceptable but mediocre and to many Ivy type players there is just nothing spcial about Princeton.
Ex-Tiger Robinson hasa huge talent group incoming. Cornell has talent that is not ordinary. Princeton is ordinary and that will lead to the Cornells and the Browns becoming the best of the front runners as the Quakers edge back a bit.
Hard to buy for Princeton; being ordinary.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
Reg: 11-21-04
03-20-07 02:01 AM - Post#31466    
    In response to Acobj

It has occurred.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-20-07 12:50 PM - Post#31467    
    In response to dperry

Quote:

Quote:

Dave, problem is that Scott could have a 6-8 or 7-7 season next year (in the league) and it would be incredible progress over this year and I can promise you that there would be numerous people claiming the Scott was "turning things around." Of course, if one looked at Scott's four-year record it would look much like progress...

Like I said, Chuck, if they are as bad as this year. If they go 2-12 in the Ivies next year, I doubt very much that he will get a fifth year to try and improve in. The Tiger fans may be a bit more mellow than we are, but they ain't THAT mellow.

And hey, if he goes 6-8 next year, he can stay there and continue to do that as long as he wants. It's fine by me. :-)

Given what Yale, Cornell, Brown, Columbia and Penn bring back next year, if Scott goes 6-8 or better, he deserves to come back.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
Reg: 11-22-04
03-20-07 01:58 PM - Post#31468    
    In response to Old Bear

No, Joe does not deserve to come back under any circumstances.

He has single-handedly ruined the program!

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would try and justify this guy's DISMAL record at PU and give reasons why he should be kept on.

I wish Walters had the guts to toss him out on his ear.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.169 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:14 PM