Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn Report Card        (Topic#543)
palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
01-30-05 02:15 AM - Post#2940    

Another outstanding performance....Steve Danley, with his second straight career high (22 on 9-11 shooting) is becoming the premier big man in the Ivies as a sophomore. With Ibby Jaaber outplaying Forte, Brown never really had a chance. Give Brown some credit---down 21 at the half, Miller obviously told them to go out and be chippy and for the first 5 minutes of the second half, Penn seemed confused and a bit intimidated. The nice thing about a 21 point lead is that you can give a bit of it up and regroup...and that is what happened after Brown cut it to 12. Penn, led by a couple of key Begley "3"s, brought it back up to 22 and we had a full weekend of garbage time. Very very strong weekend for the Quakers---now it is time to show this kind of dominance on the road.

For the grades....

Danley---A+. Completely unstoppable, and a force on defense, as always. 9-11 shooting, going both to his left and right. Man this kid is good and only a soph.

Jaaber---A+. 18 points and more importantly, played the pants off of Forte in the first half, holding him scoreless and stealing the ball from him a couple of times. Forte got frustrated and started going 1 on 5 to show something. while Forte played much better in the second half, it was over by then.

Oz---A. Also some serious offense ....both driving and shooting. Controlled the ball well...solid game.

Zoller---A-. Very strong off the boards, hit some unmolested foul line shots....where was this guy earlier in the year? Who cares---he is back!

Begley---A-. Actually got in a little foul trouble and he never commits fouls, but hit 2 key threes when Brown looked like they might make it a game. Usual solid game for him---got the ball to the guys who were hitting.

Not too much else to grade...Freed played hard and got a key tap in at the end of the 1st half that got a roar, Fikiel not much of a factor, but hit a nice foul line shot when Penn ran the lead up from 12 to 23 in the second half, Majette with a thunderous dunk...that missed, bounced up and through the hoop in garbage time...Whitehurst looked good in garbage time...he should have played more.

Great weekend....Penn would have to be seen as the favorite after crushing both Yale and Brown.

Stuart Suss 
PhD Student

Loc: Chester County, Pennsylva...
Re: Penn Report Card
01-30-05 04:29 AM - Post#2941    
    In response to palestra38

Oz deserves the credit, along with Ibby, for the first half defensive effort that shut out Jason Forte.

Forte was so frustrated that he elbowed Mark Zoller in the chest during a stoppage in play. Everyone saw it except for the three officials. The crowd hounded Forte for the rest of the half, compounding his frustation and his struggles.

Jason scored 15 in the second half, but it was too late.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
01-30-05 05:55 AM - Post#2942    
    In response to Stuart Suss

Danley has really unveiled some beautiful moves in the last few games. He has been the pleasant surprise so far this season. For that matter, there was a lot of pretty offensive execution tonight. Jaaber just faked a couple of people out of their shoes, there were several nice cuts to the basket for scores, etc. Fan highlight of the night was when one of the Brown players (I believe Forte) tried to drive the lane in the second half. Jaaber came out of nowhere to swat the shot away, going off a Brown player and out of bounds. On the ensuing Penn possession, Ibby got wide open for a 3 and buried it. That tore the roof off the Palestra.
Well, this team is going to have one or two bad offensive nights down the stretch, and we will see how they deal with it, and Princeton may have taken a wake-up call from this weekend, and we still have to go to Providence and New Haven. Nevertheless, I sure like our situation a lot better than even a month ago.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
01-30-05 01:45 PM - Post#2943    
    In response to dperry

Some other notes: Stu beat me to this, but Oz was on Forte more than Ibby, especially in the 1st half, and did a great job. He also hit a couple of nice outside shots late in the clock. Also nice was the way both Oz and Ibby got help on Forte when the screens were set up high. Penn really put on a clinic on how to stop him. Zoller showed good discipline not overreacting to that elbow Forte shot him. Another oddity, Fik was on the defensive side (on Ruscoe, I think) of the offense-defense sub pattern with Free.

This game, as many predicted here, was a mirror image of Friday: Dominate inside on offense, lockdown outside on defense, kick the ball out for some open looks when the D collapses. Begley is doing a nice job controlling the game from the 3. He is picking his spots to shoot nicely, hitting the big 3 to put Penn up 60-41 with about 9 min. left that pretty much ended the drama. The only problem was that Fran waited a bit too long to take the starters out, but what else is new? I get the feeling Penn wanted to rub this one in a bit thanks to some of the chippy stuff that went down early in the 2nd half.

Anonymous 

01-30-05 02:03 PM - Post#2944    
    In response to Streamers

I don't know about rubbing it in, and I didn't see too much chippy stuff -- just the usual. But with respect to clearing the bench, I think Fran was just waiting for Miller to clear his bench first. Instead, he had Forte and Ruscoe in there until about three minutes left and pressed full court the entire second half.

Warrior 

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 11-22-04
01-30-05 02:11 PM - Post#2945    
    In response to Streamers

Another Fan Highlight of the Night: At the start of the game, there were 3 Brown fans in the middle of section 119 (one of the Student sections). After a few comments, they started to get some attention from the Penn faithful. A few moments after that, they were the recepients of a full-scale "A**-HOLE!" chant. After enduring a minute or two of the unified student section's attack, the 3 fans were on their way to the exits.

Game clock read a little over 14 minutes left in the first half.

Actual game-related note: Positive note from the 2nd half was that we got into the bonus pretty early (11:48 left in the half), and the double-bonus by 7:19. This stood out to me for some reason (maybe b/c we were very much NOT in the bonus against St. Joe's). Ibby and Oz hit 6-6 free throws in that little stretch that helped squash Brown's momentum.

Anonymous 

01-30-05 02:49 PM - Post#2946    
    In response to Warrior

It has been years since we have played such great defense for three straight games of importance. Couple this with a share the ball offense that starts with our captain, and a center who is showing us every game why he started for Dematha, and sprinkle in a little bit of Ibby here and a little bit of Ibby there, and Oh Baby

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Fan Highlights
01-30-05 02:56 PM - Post#2947    
    In response to Warrior

Speaking of fan moments, Dr. Gutmann's winning streak is still intact. She made an appearance in the student section with the requisite red T-shirt on; a fact that is clearly not going unnoticed given that the students stopped harassing Forte long enough to cheer her name. Good to see.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-30-05 03:06 PM - Post#2948    
    In response to

Hey AQ, I know Miller is not a favorite of yours, but you have to admit he had his team fired up at the start of the second half when it looked like they were about to be run out of the building.

As to the subs, you make a good point about what Miller was doing at the end, but that is exactly why I wanted to see the Penn bench come out: to see how they would fare against the press. Look, they were up 23 with 5 minutes left. Fran calls a timeout, and the starters are still out there when they break.

Anonymous 

01-30-05 03:10 PM - Post#2949    
    In response to Streamers

Can't disagree. I would have pulled them at the five minute mark myself. But I'm sure Fran had his reasons for not doing so.

And I give Miller all the credit in the world for his coaching. That team will be scary up in Providence in a few weeks. But I still don't like him.

10Q 
Professor

Loc: Suburban Philly
01-30-05 03:14 PM - Post#2950    
    In response to

Has Zoller stopped whining after every foul call against him?

Anonymous 

01-30-05 03:30 PM - Post#2951    
    In response to 10Q

No, but he did tone it down to a grimace last night.

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

01-30-05 03:36 PM - Post#2952    
    In response to

In fairness to Miller, it was hard for him to go to his deep bench because even a fair amount of his deep bench had played already.

Although I always think that when the other team clears it bench to continue pressing is pretty bush. Wow, some Brown guy who'd played half the game trapped Joe Gill who'd been in for ten seconds. Congratulations.

The other thing that irked me last night about Miller was when he was screaming for a technical foul when his guy ran into Oz and Oz shoved him aside. Uh, Glen, perhaps you missed Forte punching Zoller in the chest. He should have been ejected right there and missed next Friday's game also.

It's sort of a shame because Miller's a good coach. It just must be frustrating to get his team to very competitive level and then come to the Palestra and get crushed by the Quakers. I don't see Brown losing too many other games, however. How they lost to some of the dogs on their schedule is a mystery to me.

The Willow 
Masters Student

01-30-05 03:50 PM - Post#2953    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Oh Howard, you've picked up Miller's penchant for exaggerating a wee bit. It was an elbow, not a full fledged punch (but a jerk move, nonetheless).

Miller is Miller- I imagine if I were rooting for Brown I wouldn't notice half of the whining. Still leaves a lot for me to notice though

Quote:

Uh, Glen, perhaps you missed Forte punching Zoller in the chest. He should have been ejected right there and missed next Friday's game also.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
01-30-05 04:44 PM - Post#2954    
    In response to Streamers

Yeah, I agree. I think while Ibby had more visible defensive plays on Forte (the help defense swat, the two rips that I saw), I think it was Oz that stayed in front of him more of the game.

Ibby's quickness - and demeanor - is really something. He's got to be the best defensive guard in the league, and he does it as if he's just going about his business.

It was so apparent from Penn's defensive schemes that they just didn't want Forte to score. They threw everything they had at him. The other piece - that I thought was brilliant - was that Fran put some of the big guys up front on defense. I saw Danley and Zoller up top of the key a few times and they made it very difficult for Brown's guards to pass inside. (I think it was Fikiel that was guarding Huffman at one point outside the arc - as the everlasting snapshot for me.) The defense was smothering, I thought - and when you compound it with Brown missing some wide open shots, and Penn shooting hitting EVERY ridiculous shot they took - it just cascades upon itself.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

penndulum 
Freshman

Loc: Greater Boston
Reg: 11-22-04
01-30-05 04:48 PM - Post#2955    
    In response to

Listened to this game on Providence radio. The play by play announcer made a huge deal of the fact that Miller just "glared at the Penn bench" when the timeout was called & Penn put in their backups. Apparently they thought that calling a timeout to mass substitute was "pouring it on."...that Coach D was "prolonging the agony." What is that all about?? Seems to me it would have been worse to keep the starters in by not calling a timeout.

By the way, it sounded as if Oz litterally ko punched Forte and they just beat up on the refs big time.

palestra38 
Professor

01-30-05 05:19 PM - Post#2956    
    In response to Bruno

I think Bruno analyzed this perfectly, but as to those who pointed out (correctly) that Oz frequently fronted Forte, there was a marked difference in the way Ibby played Forte as opposed to Oz. Dunphy schemed Forte brilliantly in the first half---he simply would not let Forte score. Every (and I mean EVERY) time Forte got by his man, one or two Quakers would step up, surround him and force him to get rid of the ball. Too many times for Brown, Forte decided to force the action and lost the ball or threw up a prayer. As Bruno noted though, Ibby's improvement in his defensive footwork is stunning. For someone to consider him one of the top defensive guards in the league at this point after the comments made last year (and even earlier this year) is amazing. Ibby simply anticipated almost every Forte move and got in the way...stole a couple, interfered with almost everything and generally was extremely impressive. So give some credit to Oz as well, if not Dunphy for his gameplan, but I was particularly impressed with Ibby's overall game.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
01-30-05 06:57 PM - Post#2957    
    In response to Bruno

Quote:

when you compound it with Brown missing some wide open shots, and Penn shooting hitting EVERY ridiculous shot they took - it just cascades upon itself.

I don't know that the shots were ridiculous, but they were definitely going in. I lost count of the shots that rolled around the rim before they dropped. The only wild one that comes to mind was a running left hander off the glass by Pettinella. He has not hit that shot all year until ast night.

ON another note I was impressed with Flaherty. He needs some work defending in the lane, but he has a nice touch in the low post at the other end.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.12 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:38 AM