Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Craig Robinson        (Topic#5478)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-03-07 06:51 PM - Post#32072    

When the news of Craig Robinson's hiring first broke, I'll admit I was among those more that mildly concerned about bringing in a Princeton-style coach, particularly after the sucesses of the Miller years. And, I wasn't much comforted by Robinson's descriptions of the new Brown style. Let me acknowledge how wrong I was.

It may have taken a little while for the changes to take hold. The offense is up-tempo and fun to watch. Robinson seems flexable enough in his approach to modify the attack to compliment the talents of those on the floor. I also believe Brown is a substantially better defensive team. The team has struggled with rebounding at times, but I think that has been more related to the lack of bulk up front, rather than style, and it's been less of a problem as the year has progressed.

Robinson seems to have the ability to get the most out of the talent available and a number of players have improved noticably over the season.

I hope the Penn fans tonight get a taste of what's to come. If Huffman and McAndrew have average shooting nights the game could be fun. After the first few weeks of league play, I don't think many gave Brown much chance of getting to 7-7. Well done Coach.

Rocket 12 

Reg: 10-29-06
Re: Craig Robinson
03-04-07 01:56 AM - Post#32073    
    In response to Old Bear

Since meeting Craig Robinson and with every subsequent conversation and encounter, I have only become more and more impressed with him not only as a basketball coach but mostly as an individual. I can't imagine anyone who has the opportunity to get to know him, even casually, could be anything but impressed. Watching him address the early season obstacles & injuries with this team was interesting and reassuring. Seeing players like McAndrew and Huffman grow individually leading to growth as a team was amazing.

Brown found a gem in Robinson. His "story", style, and presence has already won over a solid incoming recruiting class and will continue to play well with future recruits. With these incoming recruits to support the further development of the returning players there is great reason for excitement and optimism. I can't wait! The future at Brown is bright!!

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
Reg: 11-21-04
03-04-07 02:16 AM - Post#32074    
    In response to Rocket 12

You could be right. Robinson tonight became the first coach I have ever seen thank an official in a loud voice for coming over to talk with him at the bench. It was "Thanks for coming over" followed by a thumbs up sign. Not sure whether this was before or after he told Miller to quit whining, though.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
03-04-07 02:29 AM - Post#32075    
    In response to Old Bear

Bear, there is much reason for optimism in Providence. Good talent, good attitude, strong work ethic.

Robinson has also installed an effective defensive scheme that is clearly based on the Princeton philosophy -- clutch and grab, and do it so much that the officials become immune to it and adopt it as the norm. Princeton has been getting away with it for years, so there's no reason why others can't.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
03-04-07 02:38 AM - Post#32076    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

I know I'm not objective AQ, but I don't think I agree with your analysis of the D. Miller was whinning? Hard to believe.

Acobj 

Reg: 05-21-06
03-04-07 01:22 PM - Post#32077    
    In response to Old Bear

Old Bear must be perceptive. He spotted the fine staff in its entirety early.

pchrystie 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-14-06
03-04-07 03:51 PM - Post#32078    
    In response to Old Bear

Quote:

Miller was whinning? Hard to believe.

Miller used to whine in his old job. Glen now offers constructive criticism.

Acobj 

Reg: 05-21-06
03-06-07 04:05 PM - Post#32079    
    In response to pchrystie

Considering Robinson and staff have eight recruits who appear, I say appear top level Ivy type or better lads, if they add to this three or four more, and there is a development and improvement factor of seventy percent, think the next four years. The new lads will have a core of two excellent seniors and some quite viable younger talent to bind with. Actually, Robinson will have enough players to scrimmage without Old Bear filling in.
Unless there is no capacity to do more than done this year in teaching and coaching,certainly appearing to the contrary, Robinson et.al. should be able to show Miller may have been light.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
03-07-07 02:27 AM - Post#32080    
    In response to Old Bear

Fair enough. I don't claim to be objective either, although I do try to be.

Actually, (and this is as objective as I can be) Miller has not whined nearly as much this year as he did in years past at the Palestra. Of course, he's had the lead a lot more.

This year's leading whiner among the visiting coaches was Joe Scott by a landslide.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.361 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:54 AM